Thread: Ridley Fenix

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Ridley Fenix

Who has experience with the Ridley Fenix and what were your thoughts? Looking at the 2015 model and a more current SL rim brake version, so if you have experience with either one I'd be interested!
    Last edited by wradom; 03-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    In particular the Ridley Fenix Classics from 2015..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Maybe the more recent models of the Fenix SL? Someone has had to have ridden one before right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I don't have any experience with the carbon models, but I have a 2017 Fenix Alloy and it's a really solid bike. It will probably remain my backup/trainer bike for the rest of its life. Be careful about the sizing, they tend to run one size up from most brands. If you want more info on the carbon model specifically, there is a guy that works for Competitive Cyclist that rides one (a 2016 or 2017 I think) as his primary road bike. When I chatted with him about the possibility of getting a carbon frameset, he couldn't stop raving about how much he loves the bike and feels like it is underrated. We were discussing multiple framesets they carry at the time, so I didn't feel like he was puffing at all.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the reply I don't have a whole lot of experience with Ridley in general so any info helps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    No problem, I tend to like these guys' online reviews the best and they liked it.

Ridley Fenix SL 10 review - Cycling Weekly
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i don't have any direct experience but a friend who is very experienced and who was at one time cat-1 or cat-2(i forget) has said nice things. he was reccomending it a while back to some riders looking to upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have a Ridley Fenix alloy specced with 105. I got it at an incredible bargain basement price, so I may be a little biased, but I absolutely love my Fenix. Mine came with the white-on-black paint scheme which I absolutely love, and I think the oversized tubing helps to increase the stiffness. Adding a carbon seatpost and some 25mm wide carbon clinchers maintained the stiffness while giving a much smoother ride. The bike rides like a dream for me.

One cool thing I love about the bike is that there's a drawing of what seems to be a bird on the top tube with it's wings spread out. 'Fenix' written another way is 'Phoenix', which makes me feel as if I'm a rider that's rising out of the ashes, haha. I'm not sure if that's intentional on their part, but I love it lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    I just bought the Fenix SL, with the carbon frame. Only had the bike a week and have logged about 100 miles. So far I'm very impressed with it. Shifting is smooth and acceleration is quick. Handling is very nimble, yet responsive. Happy with the purchase and looking forward to many more miles ahead

Neophyte
    Just saw ad today from Performance with a seemingly good price on Fenix SL with Ultegra, $1600 I believe... just passing it on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I saw that deal after I'd jumped on a frameset. It's a crazy good price.

Neophyte
    Well time machines don't exist, so hope you're liking the new ride. Pictures!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Ridley Fenix-bike.jpg

Neophyte
    Nice... there's a current thread going on about this right now but you may want to make sure you don't have too many spacers above the stem if the steerer expander plug isn't long enough... probably you want to get fitted, figure out where to cut off some of the tube, and leave a little room for adjustment?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Nice... there's a current thread going on about this right now but you may want to make sure you don't have too many spacers above the stem if the steerer expander plug isn't long enough... probably you want to get fitted, figure out where to cut off some of the tube, and leave a little room for adjustment?
    I didn't want to cut the steerer so I just put spacers in. Coming back from a broken hip so I'll probably run the stem on top until (hopefully someday) I can get into a more aggressive position, whether it be this year or next. Also am seriously considering replacing it with a disc brake fork/wheel up front so I wanted to keep the fork intact in order to sell it easier too. I'll admit it does look a little wonky with 2cm of spacers above the stem...