RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Ridley Purchases Eddy Merckx Cycles

It sounds like Ridley has some plans to become a bigger player:

Ridley buys loss-making Eddy Merckx Cycles | road.cc

They are also working with Lazer to build their own wind tunnel:

Ridley, Lazer to build cycling-specific wind tunnel | VeloNews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I'm glad the marque is staying in Belgian hands. I never would have guessed Merckx sold only 1500 bikes in the US last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I'm glad the marque is staying in Belgian hands. I never would have guessed Merckx sold only 1500 bikes in the US last year.
    Me too. Yeah, I like them, but their price point is way too high for what they are in my opinion. For instance, they have a disc equipped aero road bike I really like, but you can easily get something similar for like half the price from other well-known brands. They also haven't typically been sold in many shops in the U.S. (work has taken me to a good number of states over the last 5-7 years, and I have almost always visited bike shops where I have gone and I think I have only seen a limited number of Merckx bikes in Performance Bike shops). Online, I think Colorado Cyclist and Glory Cycles primarily carries them. I think price is the bigger problem though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I am not sure that the Merckx name carries the marketing value it once did and what do their bike have that sets them apart from the sea of carbon bikes out there. Maybe Merckx could go niche and focus on steel bikes again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Sure hope Ridley goes back to the 80's-90's logos. Riley would do well to go niche and resurrect the MX-leader steel range as that would best compliment their own range. To sell Merckx as a competing carbon bike line isn't the answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by takmanjapan View Post
    Sure hope Ridley goes back to the 80's-90's logos. Riley would do well to go niche and resurrect the MX-leader steel range as that would best compliment their own range. To sell Merckx as a competing carbon bike line isn't the answer.
    Agree. Molteni orange as a paint option too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am not sure that the Merckx name carries the marketing value it once did and what do their bike have that sets them apart from the sea of carbon bikes out there. Maybe Merckx could go niche and focus on steel bikes again
    Thay's exactly why I think the Merckx brand is doomed without any real connection between the famous racer and the bikes that carry his name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    Thay's exactly why I think the Merckx brand is doomed without any real connection between the famous racer and the bikes that carry his name.
    I think there is plenty of connection between Merckx and the brand. As I understand it, he passes off on every design, rides bikes from the lineup, many of them are named for his famous victories, he runs the company, etc. I think it's the other issues that have been identified here that have been the major hurdles with pricing, lack of major pro team sponsorship (cycling enthusiasts never really see the bikes), and availability being the three biggest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    not sure that more than 15% of bike buyers have any strong memory of (A) the man or (B) the bike line. Going retro and niche while romantic is unlikely to be a lucrative strategy. Agree about the MX leader line but Yellow with Red accents is much much better. Maybe Ridley could make the marque the racing stable part of the estate?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takmanjapan View Post
    I think my MX-Leader frameset weighs 7 pounds. Not sure resurrecting that line is a good idea. I recently picked up a Masi Legacy Gran Criterium--state of the art steel frame with great heritage. I think Masi has trouble selling the batch of 100 they made. I think Merckx would do best closely involved with pro racing, and that means carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree. Molteni orange as a paint option too.
    +1.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I think my MX-Leader frameset weighs 7 pounds. Not sure resurrecting that line is a good idea. I recently picked up a Masi Legacy Gran Criterium--state of the art steel frame with great heritage. I think Masi has trouble selling the batch of 100 they made. I think Merckx would do best closely involved with pro racing, and that means carbon.
    As much as I hate what you're saying here, I'm afraid you're right. It's like specialized's old slogan: Innovate or die. How many of today's racers even own one steel road bike or know who Merckx was and is. Heck I'm 44, and while I know all about him and recognize The Cannibal as the greatest racer ever, his racing years were even before I was born! With that said, unless you're middle aged or older, a Merckx is probably not even an option most younger buyers even consider. I did see a 14 year old girl racing a Age 13/14 Womens crit on one. Her grandfather bought it for her....smh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Molteni orange as a paint option too.
    Merckx makes steel bikes in both Molteni orange/blue and Faema red/white.

It's an unfortunate business reality that they just do not sell in large numbers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Merckx makes steel bikes in both Molteni orange/blue and Faema red/white.

It's an unfortunate business reality that they just do not sell in large numbers.
    you're right, the Liege 75. Sadly it comes with a CF fork which is sort of a blemish on the name