Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Rivendell Rambouillet phased out.

http://www.rivbike.com/bikes/rambouillet

Rivendell says, "So the Rambouillet is taking a nap. ......It is not dead, it is only sleeping. For how long, can't say because don't know."

Now don't get me wrong, I like mine very much-just not as much as my beautiful SS lugged Waterfords but the Rivendell only costs about 1/2 what the 'Fords do.

If you are looking for a do it all, non-race road bike what would you buy instead?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rivendell Rambouillet phased out.-img_5323.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    If you are looking for a do it all, non-race road bike what would you buy instead?
    Nothing from those folks. They could go tits up, and it wouldn't matter in the least.

Life Coach
    Agreed. Eff Riv. There are lots of choices out there.

RoadBikeReview Member

Forgotten how many Riv haters there are...

But, to answer the question, I think there are a number of choices for more or less the same price. Heron, for one. I think a Gunnar might suit (not lugged though). I believe there is a Marinoni that would be similar. There might be offerings by Devinci or Opus. Maybe even a Lemond Propad.

banned
    Lemme guess- Grant has decided that 650b tricycles and recumbents are the new direction...

Velo-Orange semi-custom Randoneuring frames start at $1650- that's only $250 more for semi-custom, and without the all the proseletyzing... and a lot more honesty about where the designs came from...

I mean, for $1400, you are right up there in custom country... Maybe not with fancy lugs, but still...

Or, of course, there's always the old trek from ebay- figure $300 for the frame, $350 for new braze-ons and fancy new paint, and that still leaves you what, $750 for some decent parts...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm sure Grant has plenty of models that can take the Rambo's place. Requiescat in Pacem.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry to hear it...that is one beautiful bike. Had a Riv, didn't work out for me, but I certainly don't hate them. In answer to MB1's query, I've been giving it a lot of thought. I'm thinking of a Surly Crosscheck frame, built up with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal hub, only with road bars. With 700x35 or so tires, a rack, and maybe a hub generator light, that, I submit, would be a primo 'do it all' bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Sad, I guess the Atlantis is selling well though. In Dirt Rag, Grant stated they are coming out with a new mountain bike soon. The best bike I ever had was an All-Rounder in baby blue and cream. I still dont understand why I sold it.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

I forgot about Heron.

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman
    But, to answer the question, I think there are a number of choices for more or less the same price. Heron, for one........
    They have always looked pretty sweet to me. Made by Waterford too.......
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Soma?

Several have mentioned Heron, which I think would be a good alternative. I like the Soma Speedster too -- sport touring design with lugs, clearance for wider tires etc for $800 frame and fork. Another would be the Mercian Audax Special, but the price would be high right now with the crazy exchange rate between the US $$ and UK Pound or Euro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a real shame. I personally feel the Rambouillet is a very well designed and executed frame, as well as fairly priced. There aren't many options for stock lugged steel frames these days, particularly one with a relaxed geometry and longish head tubes. You really have to start looking at customs to find something directly comparable to the Rambo, and that costs more money.

However, I think there are now some decent tig-welded alternatives to the Rambo -- namely the Soma Smoothie, Salsa Casseroll, several Surley models. Kogswell used to sell a frame comparable to the Rambo, but they've also jumped on the 650b bandwagon with Rivendell. Perhaps that's why they are dropping the Rambo, so they can continue trying to convince the world that 650b wheels are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I almost bought a Rambo a few years ago but there was a 6-month waiting list at the time, so I bought a Merckx Corsa 01 instead. The Merckx has similar relaxed geometry and lugged construction, but is much less versatile with no eyelets for racks and fenders, short chainstays, shorter headtube, etc.

No longer using this acct
    Aug 2007

Got to ride one and liked it.

Sad there putting the Rambouillet to sleep. Kinda thought that was like there signature bike but guess they will put the same care and thought into the development of there mountain bike. I just ordered a Quickbeam hince my user name like I did when I had my Rocky Mountain Element "eddieselement" but I think there bikes look sweet and ride sweeter. Not sure what I would by if I bought a geared bike. I do know my friend wants a Waterford although I know nothing about them but what I have read about them I would like to see one and ride it so maybe some day.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Since I don't like the geometry on the Rambo......just about any bike for the same $'s would be a better choice.

YMMV

As in most things, if people were buying them, they still would be selling them....clearly, no one is buying.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Cannot bench own weight
    I wanted to order a Rambo too a couple years ago, only to find out my size was unavailable.

I still buy partially into what Grant preaching about. The other part of me wants a 13 pound bike with racing geometry. Marketing works both ways on me.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

Cap'n of Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    I wanted to order a Rambo too a couple years ago, only to find out my size was unavailable.

I still buy partially into what Grant preaching about. The other part of me wants a 13 pound bike with racing geometry. Marketing works both ways on me.

Yes, damn commercials. I'd never want a Rambo but the marketing thing sometimes works. I've always thought Cervelos were the ugliest thing around... after all the commercials in this years tour (and a club member getting one which looks great up close) I started to find them interesting.

Fortunately that thought has passed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende

ahh, but that is the beauty of it all! nothing says you can't have your 13lb race bike and a tourer/commuter....and a fixie, and a crosser, and a retro 10 speed, etc, etc. man, i need more room!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something that any decent custom builder could build. Or a Gunnar Sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    What is the real advantage in buying a NEW lugged steel frameset, rather than something a little more "vintage" (and cheaper). If we are all using DT friction shifters, the rear spacing should hardly matter--- and we could be running 6 in the back... or whatever. I have even managed to squeeze a modern rear wheel in one of my old steel bikes.

Just asking.

http://www.rivbike.com/bikes/rambouillet

Rivendell says, "So the Rambouillet is taking a nap. ......It is not dead, it is only sleeping. For how long, can't say because don't know."

Now don't get me wrong, I like mine very much-just not as much as my beautiful SS lugged Waterfords but the Rivendell only costs about 1/2 what the 'Fords do.

A Canadian in Sweden
    So many choices out there; in the big picture, it probaby won't make a difference that they aren't making it anymore.
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    I am suprised at all the bad will towards Rivendell. Since you have to search them out I had always figured that folks that had no interest would be neutral rather than anti....

Who knew?

Oh well, maybe it is time to put the deposit down on a Vanilla.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Cycling News is reporting that a new Rivendale Rabouillet Carbon Composite frame will be introduced for the 2008 model line up. Looks like he is finally embracing the future.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    Cycling News is reporting that a new Rivendale Rabouillet Carbon Composite frame will be introduced for the 2008 model line up. Looks like he is finally embracing the future.

with threadless integrated hs? no real ill-will here, but the constant whining about people not embracing and buying his stuff got tiring. with all the custom builders out there these days you can get exactly what you want without the preaching

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    Well ya but with friction shifters, 650B wheels and lots of room for fenders.

banned
    I am suprised at all the bad will towards Rivendell. Since you have to search them out I had always figured that folks that had no interest would be neutral rather than anti....

Who knew?

Oh well, maybe it is time to put the deposit down on a Vanilla.......
    I don't know if I have Ill-will towards rivendell, I guess I'm just kind of tired of them. Some people find them quirky, I found them to be poorly managed- of the 6 times I bought stuff from them, 5 of my orders were screwed up. Their customer service is miserable. And one gets awfully tired of Grant Peterson taking/getting credit for inventing things that were invented years before he ever threw a leg over a tricycle- his saddle bags are basically expensive and pretty knock-offs of carradice bags, His production frames are updated versions of old japanese sport touring frames.

I find his embrace of 650b wheels to be especially disingenuous, considering how he rails against integrated shifters... "integrated shiters are bad because you have to buy the shifters and a specific deraileur and a specific cassette, unlike the freedom of 650b, where all you have to do is buy my frame and my brakes and my wheelset and my tires and my tubes..."

In the end, Grant's personality just rubbed me the wrong way. His advertorial magazine just gets whinier and whinier. THe sad thing is, he actually has some good ideas- bringing back sport touring frames was a great idea, bringing back the old ways of fitting a bike was a great idea, concentrating on non-racing frames was a great idea- it's just a shame his being a d!ck makes people not want to hear them.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

That is exactly how I have thought of my Rambouillet.

Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    ......His production frames are updated versions of old japanese sport touring frames.......
    Right down to the paint it reminds me of nothing so much as a top end 70's sport tourer with an extended head tube and wider dropout spacing.

BTW the only thing that I don't like about the bike (and I really, really don't like it) is the stupid 132.5mm dropout spacing so no hub will actually fit. D@mn NorCal hippie stoners........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast