Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nothing is 100%. Rigidity is one argument. The main thing though is the narrow clearance between pads and discs. TA gets you in exactly the same place each time making brake rub much less likely.
    While there may be some advantages to thru axles, centering the rotor is not one of them. I've never understood that argument or experienced anything like it. A QR wheel goes in exactly the same place every time, just like a thru axle.

I have bikes with thru axles and bikes without. I don't notice a difference, personally, even on rough, fast off-road terrain. I would like to see a study that shows where and how much stiffer the various designs are, and if it's even at a level that a cyclist can experience (especially on a road bike). There aren't any though, which is a bit curious. What may be happening is that people are replacing crappy, exposed cam, plastic-washered QR skewers that don't work very well with a nice thru axle, and they notice something different. Compared to a quality Shimano QR though? Meh.

But, the thru axle is the way things are going, and it's not like it's really any more difficult to use than a QR. It takes a little longer to remove, but really, how often does that matter? Tensioning them is also (slightly) more involved, but that's usually done only once or twice. Most quality wheelsets are convertible to whatever sort of endcap is needed as well, which gets rid of that complaint. At least it's not something pretty much universally acknowledged as a step backwards like a PF BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    While there may be some advantages to thru axles, centering the rotor is not one of them. I've never understood that argument or experienced anything like it. A QR wheel goes in exactly the same place every time, just like a thru axle.............
    Maybe for you and I. Please read my post #21. Of course, to be fair, those people might have a problem using a 6mm Allen wrench.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Maybe for you and I. Please read my post #21. Of course, to be fair, those people might have a problem using a 6mm Allen wrench.
    Yeah, that is a good point. They could just as easily screw up a thru axle... most of mine are pretty much just big, cammed QR skewers that screw into the frame/fork instead of a nut. They can still be too loose and can eventually fall out, though it would take an impressive amount of obliviousness to not notice that happening. Hell, the bolt-in, non-QR rear 12x148 axle on one of my MTBs recently came a little loose during a ride (the back wheel started knocking around), and I even torqued it with a torque wrench before the ride. I've never had that happen with a regular QR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    They can still be too loose and can eventually fall out, though it would take an impressive amount of obliviousness to not notice that happening.
    Exactly. With a TA, you would get plenty of warning before catastrophe. If you are that oblivious, nothing is going to save you.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123