Thread: Roady Noob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Roady Noob

Greets all,

I am making a foray into the world of road bikes. I need some guidance from the illustrious 'in' folk here before setting foot in to my favorite bike shop. I've been riding mountain bikes for 20 years but I want to start 'serious' riding as well as fitness on pavement. I know the hierarchy of Shimano road components and that's about it. I figure my budget on a road bike to be about $2000 to $3500 CDN (pretty much the same US currency now) and obviously want to get the best bang for my dollar. I plan to spend the next few months test riding on road, weather permitting, or rollers before making a purchase. I'm 6' tall and weigh in at a hefty 240lbs but hopefully will shed some weight through more endurance riding. I'm curious if carbon frame bikes will support me or do I need to stick to aluminium? Brands of bikes during my preliminary research I'm considering are Specialized (Roubaix), Cannondale (Synapse), Cervelo (Soloist), and Felt. Any tips and guidance will be much appreciated to enable me to ask the right questions in the bike shop.

Thanks in advance for reading and possibly answering!
    Get off the couch and kill your TV. Go ride.
    '07 Kona Dawg Primo
    '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    In that price range all the brands you mentioned will have nice carbon bikes with similar components. The geometries will be different so just try them out and get the one that seems most comfortable. I am familiar with the Felt brand and their F-Series has a race geometry whereas their Z-Series is a more relaxed set-up; I would guess that the other brands also have similar lines of bikes. Also important is that you get a bike that just kind of grabs you as far as "curb appeal."