Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Saddle bag or second bottle cage with tool bottle?

23K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  MMsRepBike 
#1 ·
As the title says-Saddle bag or second bottle cage with tool bottle on Madone 9???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#11 ·
I only ever use one bottle, never need a second, plenty of opportunities to refill. I live in Ireland so it's not too hot... I have been switching between bottle and bag, just looking for opinions on what people think looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I never ever use saddlebags, one of the ugliest inventions ever made.
When I think I need extra water , which happens only 1 a 2 times a year, I take a throwaway bottle in my shirt and consume that first.
Toolbottle is so convenient when you have more then bike....

#15 ·
I only use one bottle, I use the second spot to hold a tool bottle thing.

I recommend this vs. a saddle bag for you.

If you're used to only going through one and as long as there are enough water stops, you'll be fine.

I stopped using two bottles a couple years ago, hasn't been so bad. Only time it's bad is on charity/event rides that are like 100 miles. If I'm in a group that's hammering and they aren't stopping, neither am I. In that case I just ask for water from the next guy until we stop, no real issue.

Water is very heavy. I'm not going to carry it if I'm not going to use it.

#22 ·
tool pouch goes in a jersey pocket.

bags kinda suck.

mooching water kinda sucks, too.
That's what I do, generally, but use a bag for extra long rides where I have a lot of food and/or a second tube, or rides where I have a jacket that I might ended up taking off to put in my pockets. Basically if I need more pocket space a bag is good.

Maybe every one is pointing and laughing at me and I'm aloof or I'm loosing 3 mph due to bad aerodynamics and don't realize it but if there's a big looks or functionality issue with saddle bags I haven't picked up on it yet.

#24 ·
I like to do things the easy way,, you know,, one and done.. If I have to choose it’s the extremely small saddle bag,, just enough room for two co2’s + the regulator/valve, a spare tube, a small patch kit, a copy of DL/Insurance card, some cash and fix-it sticks. This stuff will get you home, 99.9999% of the time. It stays on the bike and gets restocked as needed. I use two water bottles and for some rides would appreciate three as 30 miles as between stops in +100F weather pushes my limits and Water is a handy thing to have!!.

Reactions: old_fuji
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.