RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Salsa La Cruz vs. Gunnar Crosshairs

Trying to choose between a new Salsa La Cruz (which I'm absolutely in LOVE with) and a used Gunnar Crosshairs I found on Craigslist.

The La Cruz has the sweetest geometry I've ridden, is beautiful, and decently-equipped (Shimano 105, TruVativ crank, Avid disc brakes). The Gunnar is significantly more expensive new, for what it's worth, and this particular one is set up with Ultegra hubs, crank (w/FSA cups), shifters, and rear derailleur. It has non-specified Shimano brakes and a Tiagra front derailleur. Both are True Temper OS frames and roll low-end Mavic wheelsets.

Thoughts?

Steaming piles of opinion
    Treat yourself. Do what your heart says. You deserve it.

I have no idea what that means in terms of this choice, and it really doesn't matter what I think anyway. You'll enjoy getting what you wanted far longer than you will the satisfaction of getting 'a good deal.'

(Both are fine bikes. There's one you know the maintenance history of in a verifiable way.)
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

duh...
    don't get the gunnar just cuz it's a deal... sounds like there are good reasons to get the salsa

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

banned
    One thing to think about- the salsa is disc only, so finding wheels isn't as easy as with a rim-brake bike.

that said, if you like it that much, you should get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    One thing to think about- the salsa is disc only, so finding wheels isn't as easy as with a rim-brake bike. .
    29er / 700c disc wheels are pretty easy to find these days. The Salsa uses mountain-bike 135mm hub spacing so finding a disc hub and having it laced to a road rim shouldn't be a problem unless you're running Campag. Most reasonably sized bike shops will stock a disc-ready 29er wheel which will work just fine in a pinch.

I own a La Cruz and I think it's a truly great bike. I purchased it as a replacement for a Cross Check and planned on keeping CX wheels and tyres on it but the bike has had road tyres and fenders fitted almost permanently over the past 12 months. It rides great either on- or off-road...the only issue I have is the larger frame sizes have massive headtubes which make it hard to get a decent amount of drop, but this might not be an issue for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Wait... I'm definitely at the larger frame level (58) - and, forgive me, I'm a bit of a layman. What do you mean by "drop"? How is that relative to head-tube size? Is it the Salsa geometry that creates this disproportion, or just the La Cruz? Lastly, how much of a burden is it to you and how?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrev
    Wait... I'm definitely at the larger frame level (58) - and, forgive me, I'm a bit of a layman. What do you mean by "drop"? How is that relative to head-tube size? Is it the Salsa geometry that creates this disproportion, or just the La Cruz? Lastly, how much of a burden is it to you and how?
    "Drop" is the vertical distance from the saddle to the handlebars....generally the more flexibility you have the greater this drop will be. Personal proportions, riding style, and fitness play a bit role in how much drop you like.

For a given seat height drop is effected by the length of the fork, the stack height of the headset, and the angle / length of the stem.

It's just the La Cruz (and Casseroll) geo which creates this drop. These bikes are designed as an 'all day' or light tourer, or cx frame so Salsa decided that a higher bar height (less drop) would be what their customers wanted....and for the more part they're right. Without trying to sound to generalist if you haven't had any problems with getting the bars low enough on your other bikes then the Salsa will probably be just fine for you

I've got long, lanky arms, reasonable fitness and decent flexibility which results in me running more drop than most. For me the headtube length of the Salsa was an issue but one that I resolved by shortening the headtube and fitting a custom low-profile topcap to the headset - total result was 18mm lower and a drop I'm comfortable with.