RoadBikeReview Member

Salsa La Raza, Gunnar Roadie, Burley Wolf Creek, Kelly Bone Stock?

Salsa La Raza: 550.00 frame and fork
    Gunnar Roadie: 680.00 frame only
    Burley Wolf Creek: 750.00 frame and fork
    Kelly Bone Stock: E-bay, not sure of price yet (guessing 700.00 ish)

Which would you choose? Why?

Mike

my legs hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by mprevost
    Salsa La Raza: 550.00 frame and fork
    Gunnar Roadie: 680.00 frame only
    Burley Wolf Creek: 750.00 frame and fork
    Kelly Bone Stock: E-bay, not sure of price yet (guessing 700.00 ish)

Which would you choose? Why?

Mike
    I went through this decision a few months ago and in the end decided that the Burley was the best choice (but only because i grew up in Eugene, OR)...then i promptly had a bunch of unexpected expenses and ended up not getting any of them ...wound up getting a lugged slx casati later...but that is besides the point. The point here is that they are all very similar frames (if you include the Soma road frame you have another option) Congrats on deciding on steel, whatever your choice i'm sure you'll enjoy it!
    I THINK PERHAPS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE'S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED "LIVING."

http://makeitsonumber1.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally...I'd eliminate the Salsa cause their frames are now made in Taiwan (last time I checked anyway). I keep hearing nasty things about Kelly quality on this board (do a search), and anyway prefer compact so it would probably come down to Burley vs. Gunnar for me. For some reason I find the fender eyelets on the Gunnar Roadie really annoying--I'm not sure fenders would even fit on that frame very well. It would still come down to which one fit me better, and price, but I'm thinking Burley...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    ...... I keep hearing nasty things about Kelly quality on this board (do a search)........
    I hope they are much better now coz I just bought one!

If price and specs were the same however, i would go Gunnar/Waterford.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherman
    I hope they are much better now coz I just bought one!
    Is it straight? That seemed to be the main complaint I saw. I think he set up shop somewhere else in the last year or two. Dunno...

RoadBikeReview Member

Salsa

I did that name your own price thing and now I can get the Salsa La Raza frame and fork for 500.00. That is going to be hard to pass up. That Vino Rojo color is growing on me.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa La Raza, Gunnar Roadie, Burley Wolf Creek, Kelly Bone Stock?-05_razabike_580.jpeg  
    Last edited by mprevost; 12-29-2005 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add photo...

kmc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

burley

I picked up an almost brand-new Burley off Ebay this year. Great frame. Even at retail...$750 is tough to beat for US-made steel AND True Temper carbon fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprevost
    I did that name your own price thing and now I can get the Salsa La Raza frame and fork for 500.00. That is going to be hard to pass up. That Vino Rojo color is growing on me.

Mike
    That is a smoking deal. Funny to think the Nor Cal version of that bike built in the 90s sold for over $1000. Guess that's what moving production to Taiwan does for you...

RoadBikeReview Member

Pulled the trigger...

went ahead and bought the Salsa La Raza. Just couldn't pass up 500 bucks for OX Platinum steel frame and fork. You can find them at www.airbomb.com. For some reason the 52 (my size) was 550 bucks, bue every other size was 680 bucks. I used the name your own price option and offered 500 bucks. They took the offer. Just couldn't pass on that deal. Those are quality tubes and I don't have any issues with the frame being welded in Tiawan. I remember when people used to call Japanese cars junk. There are some very good frames coming out of Tiawan.