RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Schwinn Peloton 2007

Schwinn is offering a carbon model of their Peloton, and they are nicely priced, and dressed with great parts. Any ideas or opinions about the new Peloton?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Got a link?

ab aeterno
    Peloton Pro
    and
    Peloton LTD
    I really like the look of the peloton pro. Nice color scheme.
    Last edited by TheDon; 08-06-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Scuzzo
    Jul 2006
    i kinda dig the old 853 steel pelotons.. even the script seem to have more style.. but im sure its a nice bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree about the old Reynolds 853 Pelotons - they rode absolutely sweet. I sold mine recently, and am suffering from seller's remorse. I had just dropped a buttload of cash on a couple of frames and needed the finances to build them up, so I sold the Peloton. Bad choice - I should have kept it.

But it looks like the new Pelotons have dumped the old Paramount geometry and gone to a compact frame....

Scuzzo
    Jul 2006
    Sorry folks but once the Schwinn is mentioned i get all "gee i guess i should post it"
    so here she is
    Ebay special
    had to fork out money for dura-ace open-pros
    and replace shifters.. but man its a sweet riding bike for a mid level frame

check out the wall-mart bottles i still get hell for those...

so should i go with blue tires?

see ya on the road
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member

Schwinn Madison

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    Peloton Pro
    and
    Peloton LTD
    I really like the look of the peloton pro. Nice color scheme.
    That bike would definitely look nice with a wheaties jersey. Did you see the 2007 madison track bike, double butted cro-mo tubes and steel fork. For just over 500 bucks I think it would make an awesome winter bike.

Madison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwinn Peloton 2007-r_15.54.s7_gbl_madison_wht.jpeg  

The Gimlet Eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzo
    Sorry folks but once the Schwinn is mentioned i get all "gee i guess i should post it"
    so here she is
    Ebay special

see ya on the road
    I've got one exactly like that, except mines dark green. I made a single speed out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened1
    Schwinn is offering a carbon model of their Peloton, and they are nicely priced, and dressed with great parts. Any ideas or opinions about the new Peloton?
    Did you decide on which one you plan on purchasing or have you already bought?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg
    That bike would definitely look nice with a wheaties jersey. Did you see the 2007 madison track bike, double butted cro-mo tubes and steel fork. For just over 500 bucks I think it would make an awesome winter bike.

Madison
    She does look pretty sweet for the money! I might be lookin into one for myself but I think my wife would throw me to the wolves.. LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzo
    so here she is
    Ebay special

see ya on the road
    Nice score! Not sure about the bottles. I think I would go with a black tire.. but then I am old guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    for those that ride schwinn, i'm curious to know how is the quality of schwinn's frames? do they hold up well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by manhattanproj
    for those that ride schwinn, i'm curious to know how is the quality of schwinn's frames? do they hold up well?
    Can't speak for others but I am currently doing a new WW build on my 2001 Fastback LTD.
    The frame has over 6k miles and came up clean magnafluxed by a firm that certifies airplane propellers. So I would have to say quite well in answer to your question.
    Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member

I ride a 2001 Fastback LTD too

Quote Originally Posted by AL 99
    Can't speak for others but I am currently doing a new WW build on my 2001 Fastback LTD.
    The frame has over 6k miles and came up clean magnafluxed by a firm that certifies airplane propellers. So I would have to say quite well in answer to your question.
    Regards,
    Are you done with your 2001 Fastback LTD WW build. Show us please. I'd like to see.

I scored a pair of 2001 Fastback LTD's at ebay a few months ago. I'm slowly building them up right now. One for road and one for time trials.

Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    is schwinn still using the same company to build their frames today as it was in 01?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuesico
    Are you done with your 2001 Fastback LTD WW build. Show us please. I'd like to see.

I scored a pair of 2001 Fastback LTD's at ebay a few months ago. I'm slowly building them up right now. One for road and one for time trials.

Regards,
    Nope not even close and thanks for asking. I removed all anodizing from the frame and smoothed all the weld beads. 1214g bare frame. It then went to magnaflux. I am now in the process of polishing. Not sure whether I will leave it polished or perhaps paint it in a red candy colour and of course black anodized is always a possible. What are your thoughts?

It will receive new 2007 Campy Record but the group is not yet available. As it now stands Reynolds Pro Lite forks. Zipp contour bars. Campy record 27.2 x 350 carbon seatpost and clamp. FSA Elite compact crankset but not yet sure that I will use it. Rolf Sestrieres wrapped with Maxxis Equipe Legere / Flyweight tubes. I probably build a tubular set of wheels before all is said and done. I suspect it will be next spring before the build is complete. It's OK .. I have several other bikes so I can put up with the delay of the build.

IMHO you were wise in purchasing those frames. Got a photo link?

I love the ride.. how's about you?

Kind regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanproj
    is schwinn still using the same company to build their frames today as it was in 01?
    Not sure... but I believe the geometry is still the same which would be the key factor if I were to purchase another. Personally I wouldn't have any reservation in purchasing a new fastback LTD.

Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    1214g That's real light for an all aluminum frame. I know some carbon frames that are heavier than that.

I'm always partial to black. However, I think candy apple red would be very striking color. If you paint it, it will gain some weight. It wouldn't get heavier if you anodized the frame.

I like the ride very much. The frame is very responsive. It likes to climb. If I ever get dropped, I have no one to blame but me. I've setup one with easton EC90 SLX fork, Syntace stem, Control Tech Carbon seatpost, Selle San Marco Aspide Composite, Dura Ace 7800 front, rear derailleurs, and Crankset, Zero Gravity 0G-05Ti Brake calipers. I'm still using Dura Ace 7700 shifters and 12-23 Cassette. I got the custom wheels from Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com. I got the skewers from M2racer. I also got custom ferrules from Charles Johnston from Colorado.

I'll post photos in a week. I'm still waiting for my camera to arrive. :-) I'm such an ebay junkie.

Regards,

Climbin' Clyde

Thread taking a turn

from new Schwinn carbon, but in response to who makes Schwinn: From what I've read, in 2001 the Schwinn name was still under a corporate umbrella with Yeti and GT. Yeti built the Schwinn Homegrown frames in Colorado in return for Schwinn designing and/or building the AS-R (?) full suspension MTB frame. Since then, the Schwinn name has been sold again and their frames are made in China or Tawian. (If anybody has better info please share.)

What the Hell is going on

My Super, Sweet, Swift Schwinns!

I love my Schwinns! Here's a couple of links. The second link is a picture of my Schwinn that was stolen right out of my garage (along with a 2001 Fastback Ltd).

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...059#post740059

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...058#post733058

I love the look of the new Madison and can't wait until my LBS gets them in!
    Last edited by JaeP; 08-29-2006 at 09:12 AM.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe since 2001 Schwinn was bought out by Pacific Cycles and all of their bikes were made overseas. Since then, Pacific was bought out by Dorel Industries, a Canadian company. I think their bikes are still made overseas..