RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Scott Addict RC 2010 or Basso Venta 2017 frameset

I want to build new road bike for purpose of mountain climbing . Usual ride is 4-5 hours long and I ride on tarmac .

I have good price for Scott Addict RC new frameset from 2010 which I can get for only 300 euros here where I live. I can also get 2017 Basso Venta frameset but for much higher price.

I plan to put Campagnolo Super Record or SRAM Red mechanical groupset on new ride but that is whole other story.

Which would you get ? Older frameset for cheap price or new one for almost 3 times more money?

Both framesets are brand new.

Addict RC has more race oriented geometry, and Basso Venta has more complying carbon fiber and geometry.

Which would you get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'd go for the Addict mainly for price difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    so new frames does not offer anything better than good old Scott Addict RC HMX carbon frameset from 2010?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Whichever one fits you better. If they're close and would both work, only you can make the decision.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cveks View Post
    so new frames does not offer anything better than good old Scott Addict RC HMX carbon frameset from 2010?
    There is a lot less "magic" in frames than the marketing department would like you to believe. If you shave 300 gm off the bike (or you) then you can expect to average 0.1 km/hr. faster up a 6% grade. Fit is more important than those 300 gm. There is also a school of thought that "stiffer is better" for climbing but the data generated by Bicycle Quarterly magazine does not support that belief.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    There is a lot less "magic" in frames than the marketing department would like you to believe. If you shave 300 gm off the bike (or you) then you can expect to average 0.1 km/hr. faster up a 6% grade. Fit is more important than those 300 gm. There is also a school of thought that "stiffer is better" for climbing but the data generated by Bicycle Quarterly magazine does not support that belief.
    +1 on entire post.

I think most carbon race frames are plenty stiff enough with some maybe too stiff. More important to me is the stiffness in the wheel system. Just my opinion.

I do like manufacturers addressing comfort improvements. Again, my opinion, but frames are advancing here in a positive way.