RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Scott CR1 SL vs. S-Works Roubaix???

I'm in the market for a framset this year. These two framsets advertise the same sort of ride..."plush". Both are designed to sit you in a little more comfortable position and both absorb road chatter. Anyone got an opinion? The Scott is about $2300 and the S-works is $3000. (BTW...why the large price difference??)

My components will be 2008 Shimano Ultegra SL, Topolino CX2.0 Wheels, and ControlTech carbon stem/seat/handlebar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I have no experience on the Spesh, but I owned a CR1 for some time and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really only ride on the road for mtb training, so I was interested in a more comfortable bike to put in the miles on. This guy really impressed me! It is extremely light, tracks/handles very well, but at the same time is very comfortable.

I'd say you're paying the premium for the brand name on the Speshy, not sure though. The Scott is one heck of a bike, and it would take a whole heck of a lot to make me $700 more for anything else on the market.
    Cannondale Scalpel 1
    Haro Ally SS 29er

I need a road bike!

Re-Cyclist
    Maybe you're comparing the wrong models. Try the comparison with the Roubaix Expert or Pro. Probably more equivalent to the CR1 SL?
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Unless I'm mistaken, the S-works Roubaix is the same geometry and everything as the Roubaix Expert or Pro, except for the carbon prepreg used. To me, the comparison is pretty good, since both the S-works and CR1 Sl are the two companys' top-of-the-line "endurance" bikes.

I test rode the CR1 SL today. It's a very aggressive geometry, and was a little "twitchy" if you know what I mean. For comparison I rode an Addict R2, and I actually felt more comfortable on the Addict.

Just Plain Bitter
    The biggest thing I can say about the Roubaix is it is predictable. It is not twitchy in any way. If anything it almost feels a little slow when coming off a more aggressive geometry bike. This is just my laymen opinion in plain English of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

glider
    Quote Originally Posted by All1sdream
    I test rode the CR1 SL today. It's a very aggressive geometry, and was a little "twitchy" if you know what I mean. For comparison I rode an Addict R2, and I actually felt more comfortable on the Addict.
    I have an Addict that still amazes me. Give it another ride - I'm very glad that I did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Be interested if anyone has any direct comparisons of these two bikes.

These are the two framesets I'm considering. I had an early Roubaix (2005, I believe). Coming off an steel "sportive" bike, it was a revelation in terms of weight and efficiency, but I wasn't thrilled by how it handled in the corners. I always felt I was fighting it a bit, so I sold it after a year. The 2011 S-Works SL3 is supposed be much improved, but the candid reviews out there concede that it is hard to overcome the extra length in the chainstays and wheelbase, and therefore the handling isn't as sharp as Specialized would have you believe. The Scott CR1 seems to be a good compromise, but thoughts from anyone who has ridden both (or even the 2010 S-Works Roubaix) would be greatly appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I have a 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert. Coming off an older Orbea Onix. I test rode the Roubaix back in 06 when I got the Onix and there is no comparison to the current model. I hated the original Roubaix feel and love the new bike.

I compared the Roubaix to a Wilier Gran Turismo, Cannondale Synapse and Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod. The Super Six was twitchy for me but felt super quick, the Synapse way too muted. The Roubaix felt super stiff in terms of response but also predictable - not sluggish at all. I have found it handles quite well and is super stable at up to 50 mph compared to my Orbea. (I upgraded the wheels to Ksyrium SL)

Doing the same rides on the Roubaix as I did on the Onix has been a revelation in terms of handling. Not to say other bikes would not be similar or handle better, but I have no regrets. I am sure being new has something to do with it as well of course.

I should also mention I got professionally fit before I bought the bike and the geo of the Roubaix fit me well.

I looked at Scott as well but did not ride one. You get alot for your money with Scott if you want a really low weight bike.