RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Scott CR1 Team - Buy one or not?

Hi there - I am about to buy a Scott 2011 CR1 Team (I'm going for the 2011 as it's a good deal at this time of yr). Am I doing the right thing? Is it a good bike?

I am a recreational cyclist, trying to get fit but can't keep up with my mates on my 20yr old Dawes Hybrid. If I do buy one, what pedals should I go for (I think I prefer the type with the shoes that you can still walk with if you stop off on the ride - what are these called?)? Should I keep the standard Mavic wheels supplied or upgrade, and what about the saddle? Any help or guidance to someone who is returning to cycling after many yrs would be gratefully received. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I own a Scott Speedster and absolutely love it, I don't have a single thing bad to say about it. That being said, the CR1s are the next step up in the Scott line, so I would venture to say that it is a good bike.

As for pedals... cheap: Shimano 105s, more expensive, go with Look or Speedplay.. it all depends on where or not you want dual sided clip-in or not. The saddle and wheels are good to start, and of course can be upgraded depending on your budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In the main forums section scroll down to the manufacturers section. There is a Scott forum there. I test road a CR1 and liked it very much. But I am going with a different brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    There's really no such thing as a bad bike, so if it fits, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Scott.

For pedals, decide whether you want walkable mountain bike type shoes or full on road shoes (which are more difficult to walk in). That will determine what "type" of pedal you are looking at. After that, again, they're all good and none have anything that makes them "better" in all cases - it's all personal preference. Be sure to include Time in your road and MTB pedal considerations. They're distinctly different in float design than the the others.

Harryquinn
    Jan 2011
    I bought a 2011 CR1 Pro a few months ago (upgraded from a Felt F95) and I love it!

As a previous poster suggested, if you visit the Scott Forum you'll get a good range of opinions on the bike and Scotts in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I bought the 2011 CR1 Team in August.
    Great bike, and unlike the big 4, it features a complete Shimano 105 group, not a bunch of mix & match to meet the pricepoint stuff.

As for pedals, don't spend big bucks, go with Shimano MTB pedals . I got the M520's for $54.00. The Shimano SHM087 MTB shoes (look like road shoes) but you can walk in them.
    Performance usually has them for under $100.00.

The Mavic Axiom's are good entry level wheels, but for the $$ you'll save on the 2011, upgrade to Kysrium Elites for about $400.00.

The stock saddle is not the best, I splurged on the Fizik Antares, and it's worth it.

When your done it'll look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott CR1 Team - Buy one or not?-2011_cr1_team_001.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank View Post

The stock saddle is not the best, I splurged on the Fizik Antares, and it's worth it.
    did you ride the stock saddle enough to compare it to the Antares? Just got a 2011 Team as well and the saddle is nothing like my old road saddle but I kinda like the shape. Looks sorta like the Antares in pics, what do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    + 1 on shimano spd's

Wheelset is a great upgrade but coming off a 20yr old hybrid, that Scott will feel like you died and went to heaven! Enjoy the bike the way it is Get some miles on it and start researching wheels. There is a lot to study before you spend some bucks. A lot of people drop some big bucks before they really know what their needs are.

Have fun with the new ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah it will feel so fast and different to your dawes, hold back on new wheels for a while and when you get them you'll really appreciate the upgrade they bring in performance to what you already think is quick bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by abadyam View Post
    did you ride the stock saddle enough to compare it to the Antares? Just got a 2011 Team as well and the saddle is nothing like my old road saddle but I kinda like the shape. Looks sorta like the Antares in pics, what do you think?
    I only rode about 10 miles on the stock saddle, but during the fitting, I tried 2 other saddles, and the Antares just had the right "Feel" for my sit bones.

I was able to test ride it for 2 weeks, and I'm more than satisfied.

The Scott Road Pro saddle is supposedly based more on the Arione than the Antares, from what I'm told.

Bottom line is, if it feels comfortable, ride it, and enjoy!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Agree on the pedals - I switched to Shimano 105's recently and love them. I got them off Nashbar for a about $60 with cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

I like the bike but not the company !!!

I got me this bike like five month ago 2011 Scott cr1team and love it!! But my first disappointment was a week after k get it try to register and there was no way to do it I contacted Scott via email first they took a sweet time to answer ! Just to let me know that they do not have a registration program for they product that I will need to bring get to shop dealer every year for inspection in order to keed the 5y warranty and I guess pay out of my package !! For inspection !!

#2 just find out my seat post is brokend it's from ritchey !! So I contacted ritchey they ask me to go the the dealer and they will take care of it !! Now just listen to this the shop ( dealer ) contacted (Scott) ! Seems they git the bike from scott not ritchey ! Scott answer was they have nothing to do with this !! Now my question is what if my frame got brokend they have nothing to do with will my over $2000 usd go to the trash !!
    Well I don't k ow what is going to happen but the shop contacted ritchey and we are waiting on them !!
    Bottom line is Scott was suppose to take charge of my problem and deal with ritchey !! I will never buy anything from Scott again !! Let just wait for ritchey !!?
    Last edited by Cohiba24; 10-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If there was a drive train issue they would contact Shimano not Scott, so yes they should probably contact Ritchie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprwstsdr View Post
    If there was a drive train issue they would contact Shimano not Scott, so yes they should probably contact Ritchie.
    !!! Thanks for your help this is I nice spot we can ask and get answer !!! Im new and love it !!! Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    heard very good things about the CR1 , i am currently trying to decide between CR1 and Roubaix