RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Scott Speedster S40 VS KHS Flite 700

Hey Everyone;
    So glad I found the forums here, I look forward to spending many hours reading over the valuable info in past posts.

So I've been riding for about 6 months on a department store hybrid. I thought this would last me a year or two. I now realize that my skill and ability have outgrown the bike very quickly. So; time to upgrade!

I've tested two at my LBS 2006 Scott Speedster S40 and KHS Flite 700.
    Both feel rather similar in geometry and feel comfortable to ride. The KHS seems to have better shifters and wheels\tires, plus a Carbon seat stay. Scott = $1000CDN KHS = $1200 CDN

Looking for some advice because I'm so green with these kinds of things.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to spending time on the forums!

You're Not the Boss of Me
    At those prices I'd give a nod to the Scott, but neither of those is a bargain. Can you get a better deal on a Canadian bike?
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    hmmm. I thought those prices were decent from searching all the stores in my area.
    What is a good canadian bike manufacturer. Garneau?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the S60 and I will tell you, that frame rides amazingly for a sub $500 bike. SCOTT knows how to desgin a bike.

If shipping is not to bad to Canda, check these guys out:
    $704 for the S40 (2006 model.)

http://www.nytro.com/SearchResults.asp
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 10-26-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

You're Not the Boss of Me
    I'm not the best resource but I thought that Oryx, Guru, Felt, maybe Orbea were Canadian. I was just thinking that those prices didn't sound that good. KHS stuff is usually bargain-basement, at least in the US.

So, that's what I wondered if you were taking a hit because the bike is technically from the US... but I don't recall who all builds in Canada (whoops!)
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Well I've been shopping around at all the LBS's and the only thing I can find in my price range are a specialized allez sport for $850 and a Jamis Ventura for around the same price. Both aren't really what I"m looking for and didn't seem to fit right. Next up was the Giant OCR 2 which was $999. That seemed a bit much for what I got. After the Scott and the KHS the price seems to go up drastically. So its gonna be one of those two

If shipping is not to bad to Canda, check these guys out:
    $704 for the S40 (2006 model.)
    No link in there but thanks for the info. I"m really keen on buying from my local store since it will be my first real bike and the owner was really helpful when it came time to fit and test ride. I would feel terrible if I made him do all that work and then just ordered the bike online. He's gonna throw in a lot of extra gear as well, plus some future mechanical work etc.

Does everyone agree that the scott is a better bike than the KHS? Because I"m leaning toward the KHS Flite.

Thanks so much guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay T

Does everyone agree that the scott is a better bike than the KHS? Because I"m leaning toward the KHS Flite.

Thanks so much guys!

Here's a vote for the KHS, I bought a 700 2 years ago after owning a new Specialized and a used Eddy Merckz. I like this bike, it FITS. I've looked at swapping out the frame a dozen times or so but then I'll ride it the next day and still happy with it. KHS has a not so hot reputation but the bike itself is great. The only thing manufactored by KHS is the frame and after 2 years it still feels good.

Moderatus Puisne
    nolink!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Ya thats what my general thoughts were. It feels like a really good fit and the components / wheelset are better than the Scott. Unfortunatly, everyone I encounter says that the KHS is entry level garbage and that I shouldn't buy it. I'd like to think differently. As far as I'm concerned for the amount of riding I'll be doing, and my overall size (5'11" 150lbs) I don't think I have to worry about wearing out the frameset prematurely.

Thanks for the input.

Jay

RoadBikeReview Member

The KHS does have better wheels...

but everything esle look the same. Personally, I would get the SCOTT. The ride is that nice!

Then save a few bucks, buy some new wheels (Those R500 can be bouight for $170) or some Ultergra/OP from $200. The4n get a little nicer crankset for $100 and you will have a really nice ride there. Great first real roadie!

KHS is fine when it comes to materials.

Again either way, get what YOU want as you will be riding it.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Again either way, get what YOU want as you will be riding it.
    Ya I can appreciate that. The ride on the Scott was pretty nice come to think of it.

Here is the breakdown as far as I can see:

Speedster S40

Scott: Forks: Carbon 1 1/8" integrated steel steerer
    Headset: Integrated Steel Cup
    Derailleur (Rear): Shimano Tiagra, RD-4400/4403 18/27 Speed
    Derailleur (Front): Shimano Tiagra FD-4400/4403
    Shifters: Shimano Tiagra ST-4400 Dual control 18/27 Speed
    Brakes: Scott Pro SCBR-423 AG Cartridge Pads
    Crankset: Suntour Comp 39/42/52 - 39/52 T
    BB-Set: Shimano-UN 26
    Handlebars: Scott Road Drop Anatomic
    H'stem: Scott Road Team 1 1/8" / Four Bolt
    Seatpost: Carbon 31.6 mm
    Seat: Scott Road
    Hub (Front): Scott Comp
    Hub (Rear): Shimano 2200
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG53
    Cassette: Shimano CN-HG50-9 12-25 T
    Spokes: 14 G Stainless silver 2 mm
    Rims: Alex - R 500/32 H Black
    Tyres: Conti Ultra Sport 700 x 23C

Flite 700 +$200

Frame Alloy 7005 w/curved carbon wishbone, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork Carbon blades w/chromoly steerer
    Derailleur Shimano Tiagra/Shimano 105
    Shifters Shimano 105
    Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25, 9-speed
    Cranks TruVativ Touro 50/36, 7075AL 50T chainring
    Pedals Clipless Wellgo W41
    Handlebar Alloy butted 31.8
    Stem Alloy 3D forged 31.8
    Headset FSA Orbit IS-2 integrated
    Brakes Tektro 423AG dual pivot
    Levers Shimano 105
    Saddle Selle San Marco SKN
    Seat Post Q2
    Rims Shimano R500 wheel set w/bladed spokes
    Hubs Shimano R500 wheel set w/bladed spokes
    Tires Kenda Kaliente 700x23c kevlar bead

What stands out the most to me, is the amount of 105 gear, the carbon seatstay(good/bad?), and the wheels (which we already mentioned) that comes with the extra $200 price tag. Anything else that jumps out to a more experienced rider?
    I'm going to go back and try them both on for fit/sizing again. It may give me a better idea on how to narrow it down.

Thanks Again Guys really appreciate the info!
    Last edited by Jay T; 10-27-2006 at 07:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Purchased the KHS Flite 700. Feels great once I got it dialed in. I will probably replace the seatpost right away, its not the best, and there is a bit of a hieght issue, but its a solid bike. LBS owner threw in a computer, two really nice cages and bottles, plus free tune ups on the bike and he's gonna give me great deal on some gear comming up. Now I just have to wait for good weather to be able to ride it LOL.

Side note: Here is another vote for buying from your LBS instead of online. Especially for your first purchase. I couldn't imagine what horror I could have done if I ordered somthing online in the wrong size etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats! If that's the one you felt best on then it's the bike for you. I know that KHS makes decent frames. Nothign to brag about, but nothig bad either. BUT only YOU know if the frame is right for you. The CF stays are a nice tough over the SCOTT even if some says it's only for looks.

Yes, I would always say got to a LBS for your first bike. Getting fit properly in dialed in for the first time sooooo important. Once you start riding you will have to re-evaluate things on your own or with the LBS as your fitting might change.
    Also if you don't care for the frame, the parts are nice enough where you could always move them to another frame if needed.

My advice is to leave it alone, unless it's a fit issue. Ride that frame/parts into the ground. Once you are better or really into road riding then buy another bike that suits your wants/needs or dreams. Eventually you might want/need a better bike and you will know what you want in a bike more.

Same advice if it was either bike.

Again, congrats and well come to the road biking world....Now ride rain or shine!!
    DIRT BOY