RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Sears Free Spirit 531 tubing question.

Final
    Last edited by Keeshimself; 03-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Big is relative
    Google can tell you, do you need someone to do that?
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rep for bill. Jusk kidding.
    The most expensive thing you can buy for your road bike is a scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    counselor
    Last edited by Keeshimself; 03-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Lots of Google hits on this. Based on my quick search, I'd say the answer to the question is yes if you're talking about the 10 speed version.

This is a pretty strange story, especially given that the 10-speed Ted Williams was apparently originally speced with top of the line Shimano Crane components. Crane's modern day equivalent is Dura Ace.

So apparently, in 1971 you could go to Sears and buy a cheap house-brand bike that used the same tubing and componentry that was winning pro races. Named after a baseball player, of course. WTF?

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Lots of Google hits on this. Based on my quick search, I'd say the answer to the question is yes if you're talking about the 10 speed version.

This is a pretty strange story, especially given that the 10-speed Ted Williams was apparently originally speced with top of the line Shimano Crane components. Crane's modern day equivalent is Dura Ace.

So apparently, in 1971 you could go to Sears and buy a cheap house-brand bike that used the same tubing and componentry that was winning pro races. Named after a baseball player, of course. WTF?
    Wow, that is a fascinating bit of trivia. America, yeah!
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sears usually put the Ted Williams logo on the better sporting goods that they sold. Sears made almost nothing themselves. It was all re-badged stuff, at least as far as sports equipment went.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Not a Ted Williams, but I bought this 1962 Sears "racing" bike and had a lot of fun with it. We emigrated to the U.S. in 1958 (Alabama) and I guess by 1962 I was desperate for a bike that looked a bit like the one I had in Germany. Sears was the only place I found that offered sort of what I wanted. Ad is from the Sears 1962 Christmas catalog. Bike is actually a Puch from "free" Austria (as opposed to Soviet-occupied Austria).
    Last edited by wim; 02-04-2013 at 03:03 PM.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Not a Ted Williams, but I bought this 1962 Sears "racing" bike and had a lot of fun with it. We emigrated to the U.S. in 1958 (Alabama) and I guess by 1962 I was desperate for a bike that looked a bit like the one I had in Germany. Sears was the only place I found that offered sort of what I wanted. Ad is from the Sears 1962 Christmas catalog. Bike is actually a Puch from "free" Austria (as opposed to Soviet-occupied Austria).
    Did it come with craftsmen wrenches? That would be a sweet deal if so.

**** I would be a craftsmen bike, lifetime warranty.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    Did it come with craftsmen wrenches?.
    That would have been cool, but it didn't. As far as I can remember, the tool kit was basic sheet-metal stuff good only for occasional emergency use. What's interesting is that the bike always drew a small crowd whenever I parked it in front of a store or hamburger joint. An often-repeated question was "how do you stay upright on those skinny tires?"