RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Team vs 2010 Specialized Toupe Team?

I'm stuck between these two saddles. They both are high-end, have a pressure hole in middle, and look good. Which would you guys recommend?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terminus123
    I'm stuck between these two saddles. They both are high-end, have a pressure hole in middle, and look good. Which would you guys recommend?
    I always liked the Selle Italia saddles (I ride an SLR Gel Flow now), because they happen to fit my rear end perfectly. Chances are yours is different, so you should try them both, and see which one you like better.

kytyree
    Saddles are a pretty individual item, it really comes down to your needs and preferences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I have been using a 143mm Specialized Toupe Team since 2007. It's a very comfortable saddle for me. I have no problem with it. I do wish, however, a better fit and finish for specialized products. You'll know what I mean if you flip the saddle up side down and compare it with Selle Italia.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I was at first worried about the minimalist nature of the Toupe, but it seems with the right fit, it super comfortable, even more so than gel or paddings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was at first worried about the minimalist nature of the Toupe, but it seems with the right fit, it super comfortable, even more so than gel or paddings.
    You'll know on the next 50+ miler if you made the right choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've always thought the SLR is the best looking saddle, but as most people actually ride their bikes, it's really more important how it feels when you sit on it for long periods of time. a test ride is the best measure of a good saddle or not, and since it's so subjective, others opinions are basically meaningless in regards to comfort.

ask your LBS to let you test them both out and let that be your deciding factor. if both are equally comfortable, then you can use aesthetics and price to decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Funny, I just bought an SLR Gel Flow yesterday. Got it for a song. In my case, it was that or the Fi'zi:k Antares, but ultimately the price I got on the Selle Italia won out. I fi'gu:re I can always put it on ebay if I guessed wrong.

kytyree
    ebay return on a saddle isn't bad, sort of like stems its not too costly to try one out if you take care of it

Cpark
    I used to run SLR, Arione and Aliante but now all my bikes have SLR Carbonio Flow and I like them a lot. It seems like the cut out really helps with relieving the pressure....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I have the SLR Gel flow on my travel bike & a Toupe ti 143 on my main ride. I can't really distinguish between the two comfort-wise on short or long rides. They are both pretty comfortable for me. Other than that, the toupe is a hair lighter & looks a little racier. If $ is an issue, the SLR gel flow can usually be found much cheaper on ebay (about half the price of a comparible condition toupe). Hope that helps a little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I have the Toupe Gel 143 on my road bike and the SLR Gel Flow on my mountain bike. I can't tell much of a difference, although I don't typically spend as much time on the mountain bike. Both are nice saddles and work for me. YMMV.

Just Plain Bitter
    Quote Originally Posted by worst_shot_ever
    Funny, I just bought an SLR Gel Flow yesterday. Got it for a song. In my case, it was that or the Fi'zi:k Antares, but ultimately the price I got on the Selle Italia won out. I fi'gu:re I can always put it on ebay if I guessed wrong.
    I learned a long time don't save money and weight in 2 Places, Brakes and Saddles!

The first one I found great light brakes that stop really well. Number 2 took a little longer. I finally found the Selle Italia Gel Flow and the Gel flow Max! A saddle is a very individual item and may take a long time to find the right one. But once you do it is a wonderful thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Regarding the SLR (Team vs normal gel flow), what's the differance between Lorica vs Grain Leather?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I've heard of full-grain and top-grain, which is the top part of the animal and depending on curing usually results in high quality leather that you'd find on good furniture or hiking boots. Never heard the term just "grain leather" and it's basically a meaningless term. Lorica is a word that means protective shell not a material so either you read something wrong or someones marketing department is getting carried away.

If you didn't misinterpret something my guess is it's marteting speak for real and fake leather.

kytyree
    Lorica is a synthetic material, several companies use it one their saddles. I like it just fine, you also see some cycling shoes made from it for example by Sidi.

Selle San Marco has a few saddles that are available in leather or Lorica.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    I've heard of full-grain and top-grain, which is the top part of the animal and depending on curing usually results in high quality leather that you'd find on good furniture or hiking boots. Never heard the term just "grain leather" and it's basically a meaningless term. Lorica is a word that means protective shell not a material so either you read something wrong or someones marketing department is getting carried away.

If you didn't misinterpret something my guess is it's marteting speak for real and fake leather.
    Sorry, I meant Lorica vs Full-grain Leather

Cpark
    Regarding the SLR (Team vs normal gel flow), what's the differance between Lorica vs Grain Leather?
    Big difference,IMO.

My SLR wore out quickly due to its genuine leather surface and it also stains quite easily.
    The Lorica material on my SLR Carbonio Flow seems much more durable and doesn't get dirty like hte SLR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I've got 2 143 Toupe's, (non-gel), they are very comfy, normally my rides are between 20-80 miles depending on type (i.e. commute, training, racing etc), I've never been uncomfortable.

Never experienced the Selle, and as people say its personal preference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I used the SLR gel flow for a while, but the cutout doesn't really do much. Quite uncomfortable in any but the most upright positions.
    I now use a SLC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My toupe became very flexy after a year. I'm on an SLR now and its certainly holding up better.