Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

selling broken carbon fiber frames

Any opinions on selling broken carbon fiber frames? I'm trying to decide what to do with my cracked top-tube Cdale SuperSix. I might send it off for repair. But if I replace it, I'd like to recoup at least a little bit of my losses by putting the frameset up for sale. (at a very low price)

I'd clearly state that it's broken/unusable/unsafe for riding in current state. (I'd definitely include detailed photos of the damage too)

I haven't seen any like this for sale, but I'm sure its been done occasionally.

Anyone ever see damaged frames for sale?

Should I be worried about legal issues, even if clearly stated that the frame was damaged?

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo View Post
    Any opinions on selling broken carbon fiber frames? I'm trying to decide what to do with my cracked top-tube Cdale SuperSix. I might send it off for repair. But if I replace it, I'd like to recoup at least a little bit of my losses by putting the frameset up for sale. (at a very low price)

I'd clearly state that it's broken/unusable/unsafe for riding in current state. (I'd definitely include detailed photos of the damage too)

I haven't seen any like this for sale, but I'm sure its been done occasionally.

Anyone ever see damaged frames for sale?

Should I be worried about legal issues, even if clearly stated that the frame was damaged?

thanks
    As long as you're upfront about the exact condition of the bike I don't see a problem. Maybe draft up a disclaimer and have the buyer sign in to CYA? I'm not an attorney.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Clearly state the damage and that it is unsafe for riding, and emphasize it, heavily. Someone might pay a few bucks for it, doubt you'd get into any problems with it when it's clearly stated.

Edit: Have you gotten any estimates on getting it fixed? That might help the selling process and price out a good bit if someone knows for sure it can be fixed and how much it will cost.

What did you say? Huh?
    I'd just eat the frame.

Between the cost of shipping and the lack of value in the frame, I doubt you'd get much out of it after all was said and done...presuming that attempting to get something out of it does not blow up in your face.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Too Old to Run...
    I really think it would be a tough sell at almost any price point. Not too many people look for broken carbon. I spent some money to fix my first R3 but the only reason was because it was sentimental. I would have never looked for one to fix. The money saved isn't worth the risk or hassle.

Hang it on your wall or in the garage. If means anything to you get it fixed. If it's not too bad Calfee can probably do it for around $300.00.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    thanks all for the comments.

Yeah, in the end, I probably won't sell it, just because of fear of future problems/issues. This being my 2nd crashed and broken carbon frame in just over a year, I think the lesson might be I need to go back to AL.

Jrmccain - just curious - have you been satisfied with your R3 repair? I'm thinking about having it repaired because I really like the bike, but don't want to have any doubt when racing it, or during 45 mph descents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    What size is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Grodo PM me your contact info and I may be able to help out. I cant seem to send a PM without enough posts.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    As long as you are up front about it, sell it.

If you eBay, put the damage in very large print..

You never know why someone might buy a frame. Someone might want it for wall art..

There is a resturant in Japan that has a bunch of frames hanging from the ceiling...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

sizes

I actually have two frames, both 60cm.

One is a 2008 SystemSix (not BB30 model) (minor crack on downtube)
    The other is a 2010 SuperSix hiMod (crack on toptube)

'thebender' - just sent you a PM

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've contemplated having one obvious broken CF bike frame for garage wall art. I have enough "stuff" in the garage already that I would be nuts to want to hang it in there though. ;) It does cross the mind.

duh...
    sell the fork if you have it, make a barstool out of the rest

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Too Old to Run...
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo View Post
    Jrmccain - just curious - have you been satisfied with your R3 repair? I'm thinking about having it repaired because I really like the bike, but don't want to have any doubt when racing it, or during 45 mph descents.
    Yeah, the repair is mint. I had a slightly dented top tube. The repair is noticeable only because of the type of carbon used on the R3 and it not being painted. The R3 is not made of the two way carbon that was used for the repair, but if it was painted you wouldn't be able to tell. I also had them clear it again and it looks great. I plan on leaving it on my trainer for winter but wouldn't hesitate to use it on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails selling broken carbon fiber frames-dscn2262.jpg  
    Last edited by Jrmccain; 07-26-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Too Old to Run...
    Sorry, took me a while to find a repair picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails selling broken carbon fiber frames-dscn2219.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'd just eat the frame...
    Personally, I don't think carbon would taste that great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Grodo, I might be interested in one of those. Please PM me and we can discuss further.

Sep 2007
    My concern with selling would be that some unscrupulous no-good trader will buy it for a pittance, perform some dastardly cover-up job on the broken carbon, and re-sell on ebay for a handy profit. This would not be your fault, but nonetheless could have bad consequences for somebody down the line.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I'd like to buy it- I believe you emailed me before after my wanted ad.

speshysilence@gmail.com

I think I may have found a rider for it once I make the repair (before I was reluctant due to the larger size)

Carbon Repair Guy

Sell or repair

We've repaired a number of Cannondale SuperSix top tubes recently. They have super-thin tubes, and when the handlebars whip around, they end up cracking the top tube. Here's a Swami's edition we just fixed.

With detail (paint, logos) this repair totaled $450. Carbon repair alone was about $300.

We also purchase cracked frames, but generally never pay more than $100 for them (assuming they're safely repairable).

Feel free to check out our site for more info on our experience and repair process.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Gensheimer

CarbonFrameRepair.com
    Your source for quality, professional carbon bicycle frame repair
    Like us on Facebook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    If you did sell one of them, what would you like for it? I have a friend who repairs them for a living, and I have been looking for an upgrade. I have been looking specifically for cracked frames just because of what he can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    it seems broken carbon is pretty desireable!

Lots of people (including me) looking to buy high end stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I'm thinking of doing this as well. I scored a nice deal on a complete carbon bike that had a cracked frame. I bought it for the components and will swap the frame out. The carbon frame is cracked on the seat tube. I was wondering how much I could get for it if I put it on ebay. How much do carbon frame repais usually run? Depends on the job obviously but ballpark figures?....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    what kind of frame is it? size?

honestly, the parts/labor to make most repairs really is almost insignificant when compared to the overall value of a good frame. The people doing the repairs are charging for their expertise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent View Post
    what kind of frame is it? size?

honestly, the parts/labor to make most repairs really is almost insignificant when compared to the overall value of a good frame. The people doing the repairs are charging for their expertise.
    ah.... well in this case I don't know if that rule applies. It's a 62cm 2011 Motobecane Immortal Force frame.

I guess it's a decent frame but it doesn't have the name brand power behind it. Also it's a less common size so I don't know what kind of interest there would be on it.

Could I even get a hundred bucks for it?...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Where is the damage?

If it's a super easy repair and someone needs the off size I think you should have a shot at over $100 on ebay.

The amount of repainting associated with repairing it and having it look nice could make the biggest difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast