Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

selling broken carbon fiber frames

26K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  stephenxphilp 
#1 ·
Any opinions on selling broken carbon fiber frames? I'm trying to decide what to do with my cracked top-tube Cdale SuperSix. I might send it off for repair. But if I replace it, I'd like to recoup at least a little bit of my losses by putting the frameset up for sale. (at a very low price)

I'd clearly state that it's broken/unusable/unsafe for riding in current state. (I'd definitely include detailed photos of the damage too)

I haven't seen any like this for sale, but I'm sure its been done occasionally.

Anyone ever see damaged frames for sale?

Should I be worried about legal issues, even if clearly stated that the frame was damaged?

thanks

#3 ·
Clearly state the damage and that it is unsafe for riding, and emphasize it, heavily. Someone might pay a few bucks for it, doubt you'd get into any problems with it when it's clearly stated.

Edit: Have you gotten any estimates on getting it fixed? That might help the selling process and price out a good bit if someone knows for sure it can be fixed and how much it will cost.

#4 ·
I'd just eat the frame.

Between the cost of shipping and the lack of value in the frame, I doubt you'd get much out of it after all was said and done...presuming that attempting to get something out of it does not blow up in your face.

#5 ·
I really think it would be a tough sell at almost any price point. Not too many people look for broken carbon. I spent some money to fix my first R3 but the only reason was because it was sentimental. I would have never looked for one to fix. The money saved isn't worth the risk or hassle.

Hang it on your wall or in the garage. If means anything to you get it fixed. If it's not too bad Calfee can probably do it for around $300.00.

#6 ·
thanks all for the comments.

Yeah, in the end, I probably won't sell it, just because of fear of future problems/issues. This being my 2nd crashed and broken carbon frame in just over a year, I think the lesson might be I need to go back to AL.

Jrmccain - just curious - have you been satisfied with your R3 repair? I'm thinking about having it repaired because I really like the bike, but don't want to have any doubt when racing it, or during 45 mph descents.

#13 · (Edited)
Jrmccain - just curious - have you been satisfied with your R3 repair? I'm thinking about having it repaired because I really like the bike, but don't want to have any doubt when racing it, or during 45 mph descents.
Yeah, the repair is mint. I had a slightly dented top tube. The repair is noticeable only because of the type of carbon used on the R3 and it not being painted. The R3 is not made of the two way carbon that was used for the repair, but if it was painted you wouldn't be able to tell. I also had them clear it again and it looks great. I plan on leaving it on my trainer for winter but wouldn't hesitate to use it on the road.

#17 ·
My concern with selling would be that some unscrupulous no-good trader will buy it for a pittance, perform some dastardly cover-up job on the broken carbon, and re-sell on ebay for a handy profit. This would not be your fault, but nonetheless could have bad consequences for somebody down the line.

#19 ·
Sell or repair

We've repaired a number of Cannondale SuperSix top tubes recently. They have super-thin tubes, and when the handlebars whip around, they end up cracking the top tube. Here's a Swami's edition we just fixed.

With detail (paint, logos) this repair totaled $450. Carbon repair alone was about $300.

We also purchase cracked frames, but generally never pay more than $100 for them (assuming they're safely repairable).

Feel free to check out our site for more info on our experience and repair process.

Sincerely,

#22 ·
I'm thinking of doing this as well. I scored a nice deal on a complete carbon bike that had a cracked frame. I bought it for the components and will swap the frame out. The carbon frame is cracked on the seat tube. I was wondering how much I could get for it if I put it on ebay. How much do carbon frame repais usually run? Depends on the job obviously but ballpark figures?....

#24 ·
ah.... well in this case I don't know if that rule applies. It's a 62cm 2011 Motobecane Immortal Force frame.

I guess it's a decent frame but it doesn't have the name brand power behind it. Also it's a less common size so I don't know what kind of interest there would be on it.

Could I even get a hundred bucks for it?...

#28 ·
2011 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL3 "cracked" for sale

I have this one for sale if anyone is interested in purchasing it. It has a cracked top tube and a cracked seat stay. I got an estimate from Calfee Design to repair it, $900 with repair, paint & stickers.

I actually have a Madone that was repaired by Calfee and have had no issues with it but $900 was just more than I wanted to spend on it. I will consider any offer if any one is interested. Thanks!

#29 ·
broken Fuji on flea-bay now (cracked down tube from crash) up to $300. with 6 bids. The super Six's command a lot of value, last 2 in my size sold for approx. $1600. USED. The least I would expect a cracked one to sell for on e-bay is $300. each. You can mark the listing as "for parts,not working" which automatically protects you from dumbasses. Well not really but........:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.