RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Serotta Concours OS..finally

Yeah, its about time I know.. Actually its been done for a while, I just haven't had a chance to get some pics, so here's a few shots taken last Sat in Antelope Island State Park, Utah. I threw in one shot taken at home as well.

Build details:

Serotta Concours OS, 58 cm, cobalt blue/brushed ti - The finish is flawless. It's hard to tell in the pix, but the paint has a very deep, wet look to it.

Campy Chorus 10 except for DA10 brakes and pedals. This is my first campy bike. It sure was weird getting used to the different shifting after years using Shimano. I keep hearing that Campy needs to wear in for a while - these seem to shift quite smoothly out of the box. If it gets better than this, great! I like the hoods- I loose one hand position (fingers cupped around the pointy nub on the Shimano hood) but overall they feel a little more solid IMO, especially while climbing out of the saddle. I love that I can shift all the way from the biggest sprocket down to the smallest with one swipe of the thumb.

The fr der is 2003 Record

DT Swiss RR1.1 rims, 28 front, 32 rear, Speedcific hubs built by Mike Garcia. So far I am very happy with these wheels - they seem stiff enough and are definitely smoother than the Bontrager Race x-lites on my other bike. They are about 1540 grams - pretty good for $380 wheels.

De-badged Oval concepts stem and post - I really like the looks of these.

Fizik Arione

Kestrel EMS Pro bar

Fizik bar tape - the jury's still out on the blue, I may go with silver tape and silver tires..I think I have a little too much blue going on here, itís starting to grow on me though.

Conti GP 4000 tires

-I'm not sure I like the look of the Tacx cages on this bike - may go with something different, we'll see..

The Ride: It rides great! I'm not sure how much should be attributed to the wheels, etc versus the frame, though I suspect the 42 cm chainstays (versus 41 on my Klein) help a little. I'm sure the ti versus aluminum thing comes into play somewhere as well. I was pleasantly surprised that this bike seems slightly stiffer in the bb than my Klein, with its very oversized aluminum tubes. It is "quieter" on the road - seems a little "silkier" on chip-seal and just feels a little more solid (again, I won't attempt to attribute this to any one component, but the package as a whole feels wonderful). I love the way this bike handles -it descends perfectly - very stable and carves nicely. In contrast My Klein is twitchier - more of a crit bike so the Concours is a nice complement. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my Klein - you'll see why I went with blue this time. The Klein is an awesome, very loud, blood red orange.

The best thing about getting another bike is that I can appreciate the qualities of both, and neither will play second fiddle to the other, though the Klein will most definitely get cruddy weather duties.

Thanks to Chris Tolsma at Bingham Cyclery in Salt Lake City - great fit, great service, great bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2623_img.jpg   Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2627_img.jpg   Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2636_img.jpg   Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2637_img.jpg   Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2645_img.jpg  

Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-126-2651_img.jpg   Serotta Concours OS..finally-mini-img_2558.jpg  

eminence grease
    That came out really nice. Makes me want to go home and dissolve the logos off my Oval stuff too.

I'd stick with the blue tape - nice compliment to the seat. I tried the silver tape on my Moots and it looked really washed out. Might work okay with the blue frame though.

Great looking bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    That came out really nice. Makes me want to go home and dissolve the logos off my Oval stuff too.

I'd stick with the blue tape - nice compliment to the seat. I tried the silver tape on my Moots and it looked really washed out. Might work okay with the blue frame though.

Great looking bike.
    Thanks.

For some reason the logos came off really easily from the post but the stem took about 5 minutes for each side to get the logos off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Very tasty bike - looks like you're set to enjoy the next bunch of miles on her.

Love that de-badged silver stem. I looked high and low for something like for my new Bob Jackson - though I'm going to settle for my black Deda bars on account of they're the only one I like the shape of. How did you do the de-badging - any great tricks there?

Have fun with your new ride

Dereck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    nice ride and pics. love the one from the bikes point of view looking up the road. you can hear the bike saying "come one jump on and lets hit it!" later.

banned
    Purrrrrrdy. Or as a an old workmate used to say, nootylicious. I like the post. What's the setback on that thing?

banned
    Jan 2005

Question

Question: Does your Oval Concepts stem have a CF cap in front?
    If so, are there threaded inserts in the CF front cap.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Road cyclist
    The cap is black anodized aluminum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dereck
    How did you do the de-badging - any great tricks there?
    A little nail polish remover stolen from my s.o, a rag, and they came right off.

- Just checked out your Bob Jackson - unique and veeery nice looking ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Purrrrrrdy. Or as a an old workmate used to say, nootylicious. I like the post. What's the setback on that thing?

Thanks, I think its around 2.5cm - same as a campy setback post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Road cyclist
    As terry stated, its black aluminum. The cap threads onto the expander plug in the steerer - so one uses a larger hex to tighten the cap (I think 6mm??) and a smaller hex (5mm? I can't remember for sure..)inserted through the larger hole to tighten the expander plug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77
    A little nail polish remover stolen from my s.o, a rag, and they came right off.

- Just checked out your Bob Jackson - unique and veeery nice looking ride.
    Thanks Wayne - next is to try a 120 on the BJ, to help finalise the length. I think I'll end up on 110, but a buddy is lending me a 120 to end that one on the cheap ;) After that, I suspect I won't be able to resist tracking down an Oval like yours and I know where I can get nail polish remover - as long as wifey doesn't catch me

Figure you get the house you can mortgage your soul for, the car that's a means to haul stuff around - but it's not such a stretch to THAT BIKE. Like you, I prefer mine to have some soul and smack of the unique that comes from having your hand in the build. BJ were great fun to work with, as you might have guessed.

Regards

Dereck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77
    Yeah, its about time I know.. Actually its been done for a while, I just haven't had a chance to get some pics, so here's a few shots taken last Sat in Antelope Island State Park, Utah. I threw in one shot taken at home as well.

Build details:

Serotta Concours OS, 58 cm, cobalt blue/brushed ti - The finish is flawless. It's hard to tell in the pix, but the paint has a very deep, wet look to it.

Campy Chorus 10 except for DA10 brakes and pedals. This is my first campy bike. It sure was weird getting used to the different shifting after years using Shimano. I keep hearing that Campy needs to wear in for a while - these seem to shift quite smoothly out of the box. If it gets better than this, great! I like the hoods- I loose one hand position (fingers cupped around the pointy nub on the Shimano hood) but overall they feel a little more solid IMO, especially while climbing out of the saddle. I love that I can shift all the way from the biggest sprocket down to the smallest with one swipe of the thumb.

The fr der is 2003 Record

DT Swiss RR1.1 rims, 28 front, 32 rear, Speedcific hubs built by Mike Garcia. So far I am very happy with these wheels - they seem stiff enough and are definitely smoother than the Bontrager Race x-lites on my other bike. They are about 1540 grams - pretty good for $380 wheels.

De-badged Oval concepts stem and post - I really like the looks of these.

Fizik Arione

Kestrel EMS Pro bar

Fizik bar tape - the jury's still out on the blue, I may go with silver tape and silver tires..I think I have a little too much blue going on here, itís starting to grow on me though.

Conti GP 4000 tires

-I'm not sure I like the look of the Tacx cages on this bike - may go with something different, we'll see..

The Ride: It rides great! I'm not sure how much should be attributed to the wheels, etc versus the frame, though I suspect the 42 cm chainstays (versus 41 on my Klein) help a little. I'm sure the ti versus aluminum thing comes into play somewhere as well. I was pleasantly surprised that this bike seems slightly stiffer in the bb than my Klein, with its very oversized aluminum tubes. It is "quieter" on the road - seems a little "silkier" on chip-seal and just feels a little more solid (again, I won't attempt to attribute this to any one component, but the package as a whole feels wonderful). I love the way this bike handles -it descends perfectly - very stable and carves nicely. In contrast My Klein is twitchier - more of a crit bike so the Concours is a nice complement. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my Klein - you'll see why I went with blue this time. The Klein is an awesome, very loud, blood red orange.

The best thing about getting another bike is that I can appreciate the qualities of both, and neither will play second fiddle to the other, though the Klein will most definitely get cruddy weather duties.

Thanks to Chris Tolsma at Bingham Cyclery in Salt Lake City - great fit, great service, great bike!
    Your bike is a great example of how the look of the stem can make a huge difference in a bike. From now on, when the spacer police are looking for an example of how a threadless setup can look good, they should post your pic.