Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    We have met the enemy...

Serotta prepares to go out of business...

An innovator in titanium and steel looks like it might be winding up

Article on Bike Radar here

Never owned one, couldn't afford to buy a new one but they had some serious fans.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Man, I'm Awesome
    That sucks. I always wanted a Serotta.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I thought they went out of business years ago. I tried buying one of their carbon forks last year with no luck. Their website was up, but no one answered the phone or replied to my e-mails. I ride occassionally with a bike industry guy (he heads up some U.S. custom bike builders organization). He told me that Serotta tried to do too many things at once and kind of lost their direction. I always liked the looks of the Colorado Legend titanium bike they made back in the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    From what I undertand this has been a long time in the making and they have been on and off the brink consistantly for a long time.

Their Fitting School and all that's peripheral to that seems to be pretty sizable.....wonder if that's going down with the ship or if it's viewed as a seperate business?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Too bad ... I always thought they seemed like a class company, and a great product, for the most part. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good (or bad) a business is operated, in these days of rapid economic change.

Any bets on who buys the name plate? It seems par for the course these days ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    When Ben Serotta sold the company in 2010, the company was no longer really Serotta other than the name.

Kind of like when Lynskey sold Litespeed in 1999.

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819 View Post
    Too bad ...

Any bets on who buys the name plate? It seems par for the course these days ...
    If I start seeing Serottas on bikesdirect.com I will be really sad.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

Daily Commuter
    ^ That really sums it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I always liked Serotta, even with their "Dentist/Doctor/Lawyer" image. They had some great paint schemes. I'd love to grab a deal on one if they have a fire sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    I always liked Serotta, even with their "Dentist/Doctor/Lawyer" image. They had some great paint schemes. I'd love to grab a deal on one if they have a fire sale.
    I was thinking the same thing. Don't need a bike but would love a titanium one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    The market place is clearly saying that the battle between Carbon and Titanium has been decided in favor of Carbon. That's not to say Titanium is a bad choice, just that the market preference has been tilted toward Carbon for quite some time.

I recently looked at the Meivici, and thought what's the point? This is a company that makes great custom Titanium bikes, but why would someone chose this bike over a Colnago or Parlee. I can't think of one.

And glancing at the forum comments Serrota doesn't seem to stand out against Seven, Moots or even LiteSpeed, the last of which is also having issues and is now fully into carbon as a me-too bike seller.

Titanium's market share is declining and will continue to decline, and as good as Serotta's products are it's hard to see given pricing and what Seven & Moots offer as well as a few other producers how Serotta increases market share or how Titanium reverses it's decline against Carbon. Even Steel has seen a resurgence.

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    The market place is clearly saying that the battle between Carbon and Titanium has been decided in favor of Carbon. That's not to say Titanium is a bad choice, just that the market preference has been tilted toward Carbon for quite some time.
    I'm not sure how the failure of one company implies anything. Was the company well run? Was the primary material they used the reason they failed? Likely not.

Carbon definitely out sells titanium - for many reasons - and there's never really been a "competition" between the materials. They both make sense for specific applications. Other titanium builders will continue to build frames. It's too bad that Serotta will not be one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Except that fewer and few companies make titanium bikes , and even fewer make custom fit titanium ones.

off the back
    Would've killed for a lugged steel Serotta back in the day. Once they stopped doing lugs, I had no more interest. TIG-welded Serotta just ain't right.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Except that fewer and few companies make titanium bikes , and even fewer make custom fit titanium ones.
    Can you list how many Ti frame makers there were before your point in time reference compared to today so we can see the decline in numbers?
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOfALesserGod View Post
    Can you list how many Ti frame makers there were before your point in time reference compared to today so we can see the decline in numbers?
    Facts? Carbon lovers don't have time for facts! Facts just cause confusion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    LOLZ there must be hundreds of them in China alone!

I can think of dozens just in the US and Canada. Dozens in Italy as well.

A complete Ti setup, with welder, jig and purging fittings, would cost a fraction of what one mould for a moncoque main triangle would cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before this turns into Ti vs Carbon, IMO Ti (and steel) has always been a niche market. It will always be a small segment next to whatever popular material the bike industry will come up next.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always thought Serottas were made in Colorado.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    A complete Ti setup, with welder, jig and purging fittings, would cost a fraction of what one mould for a moncoque main triangle would cost.
    This clearly is dependent on how many frames are made... there's a huge economy-of-scale scenario at play. It costs a fortune to make one mould, but once it is made...

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I thought they went out of business years ago. I tried buying one of their carbon forks last year with no luck. Their website was up, but no one answered the phone or replied to my e-mails. I ride occassionally with a bike industry guy (he heads up some U.S. custom bike builders organization). He told me that Serotta tried to do too many things at once and kind of lost their direction. I always liked the looks of the Colorado Legend titanium bike they made back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    From what I undertand this has been a long time in the making and they have been on and off the brink consistantly for a long time.

Their Fitting School and all that's peripheral to that seems to be pretty sizable.....wonder if that's going down with the ship or if it's viewed as a seperate business?
    IIRC; Serotta stopped accepting orders from potential new customs several years ago.

He had only been building bikes for existing/repeat customers during that same time frame.

BTW; I totally agree regarding the Colorado Legend titanium bike .

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Serotta will come back. As BikesDirect.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    IIRC; Serotta stopped accepting orders from potential new customs several years ago.

He had only been building bikes for existing/repeat customers during that same time frame.

BTW; I totally agree regarding the Colorado Legend titanium bike .
    You are thinking of Richard Sachs not Serotta.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Clueless. If NAHBS is anything to go by then there are more titanium frame makers than ever. Moots continues to do better and better. There are more options for custom it than ever.

Re: Serotta prepares to go out of business...

Ben Serotta is out of Serotta cycles. The company that bought Serotta plans on continuing without him.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast