Thread: Seven 5E fork

O2bfasterstrongerbetter

Seven 5E fork

What's the good word on the Seven 5E fork?

I'm in the process of ordering a Seven and I'm working on components right now. My LBS guy is convinced I should go with the Seven 5E fork but not necessarilly any of the other Seven components.

It's not the lightest fork out there but it isn't exactly a tank either at 440 grams. I think that's the same as the Ouzo Pro and about 100 g more than the Easton EC90 SL. Comes in basically any rake you want as well.

I'm sure there aren't too many users out there, but I thought I'd make an appeal.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

EuroCrash
    price vs Ouzo Pro?
    I'd lean towards the OP just because it's proven over some time, while the 7 is fairly new!
    If the 7 was cheaper than the OP..... oh who am I kidding?

As long as it's the same rake it shouldn't matter much.

SS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

my 5E

Jdub,
    I have about 250 miles on my alta with a 5E on it. I am 98% certain it is a re-badged ouzo pro. It looks identical. It came with a reynolds steerer cap on it. I think the dealers are pushing the fork because of the custom rake options. Nice matte finish with a seven logo on it.

I don't know what your LBS is charging you, but mine was $445. My latest Colorado Cyclist catalog has the ouzo pro for $329.

Good fork performance nonetheless, but cheaper options are definitely out there.

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerider
    Jdub,
    I have about 250 miles on my alta with a 5E on it. I am 98% certain it is a re-badged ouzo pro. It looks identical. It came with a reynolds steerer cap on it. I think the dealers are pushing the fork because of the custom rake options. Nice matte finish with a seven logo on it.

I don't know what your LBS is charging you, but mine was $445. My latest Colorado Cyclist catalog has the ouzo pro for $329.

Good fork performance nonetheless, but cheaper options are definitely out there.
    Yeah $445 is the price. It seems like a big upcharge over the OP.
    Bike smart has the OP for $260 in a 40 or 43. OP Lite can be had for $390 ... still less than the Seven and then it's basically got the same matte black finish and available in 40,43, and 45 at 365 grams.

I spoke with the rep last night at Seven and she said it is completely custom designed and manufactured by them. She said it was a bit more consistent in it's stiffness over the length of the whole fork then the OP.

I don't mind paying if I get something for it (obviously since I'm buying a Seven), I just don't want to pay $200 for a logo and matte finish.

Hmmmm....
    Last edited by Jdub; 01-11-2005 at 07:22 AM.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Yeah $445 is the price. It seems like a big upcharge over the OP.
    Bike smart has the OP for $260 in a 40 or 43. OP Lite can be had for $390 ... still less than the Seven and then it's basically got the same matte black finish and available in 40,43, and 45 at 365 grams.

I spoke with the rep last night at Seven and she said it is completely custom designed and manufactured by them. She said it was a bit more consistent in it's stiffness over the length of the whole fork then the OP.

I don't mind paying if I get something for it (obviously since I'm buying a Seven), I just don't want to pay $200 for a logo and matte finish.

Hmmmm....
    well, the mechanic at my own LBS, a Seven dealer from which I purchased my Alaris, advised me that their fork was overpriced, and to go with something else. the advantage is that they can customize the rake ... but you could have 2 bikes with identical handling characteristics, one with a rake of 43, one with a rake of 45. I'm somewhat sceptical over this one.

Windrider (Stubborn)

As near as I can tell.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    What's the good word on the Seven 5E fork?

I'm in the process of ordering a Seven and I'm working on components right now. My LBS guy is convinced I should go with the Seven 5E fork but not necessarilly any of the other Seven components.

It's not the lightest fork out there but it isn't exactly a tank either at 440 grams. I think that's the same as the Ouzo Pro and about 100 g more than the Easton EC90 SL. Comes in basically any rake you want as well.

I'm sure there aren't too many users out there, but I thought I'd make an appeal.
    There is some combination of three different things going on here:

1.) Seven is trying to improve their and their retailers margins. They are buying these from reynolds, marking them up and selling to the retailers and then the retailer marks them up. This (3 step) route will normally be more expensive.

2.) Seven is offering custome rakes (not available in some cases in the ouzo Pro).

3.) Reynolds is doing a proprietary carbon layup for Seven.

To me, only 2 and 3 are valid reasons to buy this fork at this price. Either I need a custom rake (which is unlikely (unless my custom bike was designed around a custom rake, which is a chicken & egg thing)), or I can detect the difference in ride between a regular Ouzo pro & the seven and I like the difference. Only you can decide.

I paid a premium to Serotta for the F2 fork on my bike because, during my test rides, I could feel a difference (or thought I could) between the same bike with the regular Ouzo pro & the F2. The F2 was stiffer and felt better to me. YMMV

Only you can decide if the premium is worth it.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

just checked my fork rake

Jdub,

This "customizable" fork rake issue prompted me to look at my custom paperwork from Seven.

My fork is a 42. Right between the ouzo pro's standard 40 and 43.

Not that I can tell a difference.

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerider
    Jdub,

This "customizable" fork rake issue prompted me to look at my custom paperwork from Seven.

My fork is a 42. Right between the ouzo pro's standard 40 and 43.

Not that I can tell a difference.
    I think I'm going to ask them to recommend a rake with my fit and I'll try and test out the closest stock rake to see if it works for me. I'd wager 1 mm is not going to amtter for me. How much do you want to bet there fit system won't allow them to even recommend a stock rake now that they have their own fork? ;)

I'm pretty sure if you specify the rake they'll design the rest of the custom frame to accomodate that rake and thereby end up with a bike that still meets your individual requirements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

ebay 5E

Jdub,
    FWIW ebay item #7126311504. Uncut 5E for sale/uncut.