RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Seven Resolute vs. Co-Motion Espresso vs. Jamis Eclipse

I am upgrading my current entry level Novara for a long-distance type, lighter, steel, road bike. I am debating between the Jamus Eclipse or spending the extra cash to go custom, either the Seven Resolute or the Co-Motion Espresso? Any thoughts? Not as much written out there about Co-Motion and some people have called Seven's Resolute an upscale commuter bike. I need a bike to do 100-200 mile type rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Which Novara do you currently own?

How does your Novara relate to the other higher end road bikes?

TIA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I have a 2010 Strada with Shimano 105 components, weighs about 24 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Consider a Crown Jewel or Club Racer too.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    How would you feel about riding those distances with the Eclipse's head tube height / stack? Something to consider.
    The Quest (heavier steel) may suit better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOfALesserGod View Post
    Consider a Crown Jewel or Club Racer too.
    +1 on the Club racer. I rode it a few times and surely I was impressed...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    If you're more concerned about distance than speed and you're going to be cycling over 100 miles, you might also want to consider a touring road bike. Otherwise the SOMA Smoothie might be more appealing to you.

Just go to the following SOMA website and select your frame:

Road Frames

* SOMA makes some of the very best in Chromoly Tange Prestige heat-treated steel.
    Last edited by Zeet; 04-01-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Formosan Cyclocross
    My friend rides a resolute on fast group rides, sportives and 100+ mile rides. He loves it. It can be dressed down for speed or loaded for light touring. It all depends upon how you have them tune the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Would you consider a USA made titanium bicycle with the price of steel?

here:

Silver Series - Lynskey Performance | Titanium Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    The Jamis is nothing special. It's a general purpose road bike but not what is considered ideal for 200 mile rides. If you go custom, either Seven or Co-Motion is a good choice. The advantage is the bikes are built just the way you want them to ride and to your dimensions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Before you lose your shirt, checkout the Jamis Bosanova and the Raleigh Clubman.

* These are both quality chromoly steel framed road bikes that will be just great for weekend credit card touring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the advice. I am tempted to go custom and spend the extra $$$$. I'm also thinking about looking now at the Indy Fab Crown Jewel but it appears $1-2K more than a Co-Motion or Seven?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doc04 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I am tempted to go custom and spend the extra $$$$. I'm also thinking about looking now at the Indy Fab Crown Jewel but it appears $1-2K more than a Co-Motion or Seven?
    Since money seems to be no object, then I say you should also checkout Lynskey Performance, Spectrum, and MOOTS in Ti, as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you know exactly what geometry you want then this is N/A.....but keep in mind that custom bikes are only as good as the shop selling them to you (Seven and IF aren't sold direct). I've seen my share of poorly fit Sevens. That has nothing to do with Seven but has to do with the shop not knowing how to take measurments and/or apply them to the person's riding.

Both IF and Seven are quality beyond question and I'm by no means trying to suggest they are a bad choice. Just that you need to take care that the place you buy them transfers your measurments, flexibility and wants and needs to the builder correctly. Around here most shops that sell those brands are excellent but one isn't so getting one isn't fool proof.

Anyway, aside from geo (if you need something not available off the rack) another nice thing about custom is you can get the rack and fender capacity and tires clearence just the way you want it. Not a big deal for straight road racing where you probably won't use racks or tires bigger than 25mm but for long touring type rides that stuff starts to matter a lot. They are also tuned to your weight wich might matter if you're not the norm for weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Before you lose your shirt, checkout the Jamis Bosanova and the Raleigh Clubman.

* These are both quality chromoly steel framed road bikes that will be just great for weekend credit card touring.
    Both are pretty good choices

RoadBikeReview Member
    A Crown Jewel or Club Racer runs $2Kish for a frame and fork. I think COMOTION sells for $1800 for the same but in stock sizes and $300 more for custom fit which puts it in the same ballpark as an Indy Fab.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Ok so after much research, riding and wringing of hands. I am down to the Seven Resolute and the IF Crown Jewel Steel. Leaning towards IF. Any thoughts? Or is it now just a matter of personal preference.

In addition, is Di2 worth the $1000 premium, or will ultegra 6700 be good enough?

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO, if you have to ask between Di2 and mechanical you are probably better off with mechanical. To me electronic is something you can get after you figure out your needs through experience.

Me, I recommend Campy

As for Seven or IF, you can't go wrong with either. I'm a happy IF owner FWIW but would've easily picked a Seven too but my want for an IF dated all the way back to the 90s/early 2000s and I just had to scratch that itch.