RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Seven Titanium road bikes

I did not see any posts on Seven Ti cycles. I know they are not cheap, but does anyone
    have experience with quality and/or experience ordering a custom frame from them? They certanly spend some money on their brochures and catalogs.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    There's a whole forum for us Seven owners:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/seven/

;)
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a subforum on RBR dedicated to Seven bikes, you should check it out.

Edit: Marc beat me to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Eight years ago, Seven was on my short list (Serotta, Spectrum, Holland) of Ti bikes. I went through their initial fit process and found it very helpful in understanding the many variables that all goes into a custom bike resulting in geometry and tube specs to fit your needs. I test rode a Seven over a long weeked and the ride was fantastic. If you have a LBS that can order a Seven, I recommend talking with them and the fitter for all the details.

BTW, I called Spectrum Cycles and wound up talking to Tom Kellogg himself! In the end, I ordered a custom Serotta Legend Ti (the paint options and rear drop out design sealed the deal for me) but I would gladly order a bike from Seven, Spectrum, or Holland).

la dolce vita
    I am highly biased, but the answer is Moots.
    insert witty comment here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seven is the real next incarnation of Merlin. Cool company, fantastic quality.

Aesthetically, I'm on the "leave it" end of their looks - I don't care for the zig-zag stays. But everything about them is impeccable, and they have one of the lighter Ti bikes available. I would compare them most closely to Serotta and IF in quality and approach. Moots are also excellent small shop production, but they don't focus on custom fitting the way the others do. Spectrum is also all about fitting, but don't produce the Ti frames. (Seven makes them now.)
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

banned
    Apr 2010
    I quite enjoy my Seven Tsunami cross bike. The quality is impeccable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

call

Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Seven is the real next incarnation of Merlin. Cool company, fantastic quality.

Aesthetically, I'm on the "leave it" end of their looks - I don't care for the zig-zag stays. But everything about them is impeccable, and they have one of the lighter Ti bikes available. I would compare them most closely to Serotta and IF in quality and approach. Moots are also excellent small shop production, but they don't focus on custom fitting the way the others do. Spectrum is also all about fitting, but don't produce the Ti frames. (Seven makes them now.)
    me crazy, but for that much $ I believe they could build the frame with just plain "aesthetically speaking" straight stays...
    Last edited by a_avery007; 05-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I love mine. It took about two rides to get used to the perfect fit and ride quality. Mine feels agile and stable. Solid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007 View Post
    crazy, but for that much $ I believe they could build the frame with just plain "aesthetically speaking" straight stays...
    I'm sure they could. And IF could leave off the huge head badge. But they are both design elements the maker feels proud of, and Seven probably feels the bent stays help absorb shock.

There are enough choices out there that there is no reason to buy a highly modified Seven when you could get what you wanted from Moots or Serotta.

Anyway, that is just my aesthetic opinion. I'm sure lots of people quite like the stay shape and some may even notice then doing something for the rider.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I'll be able to tell you more about the ride quality on Thursday ... it's been the longest 5 weeks of my life waiting for my Seven.

Defender of Freedom...
    As everyone has said, the workmanship is excellent. That said, if you’re going custom geo, be sure you double and triple check the final drawings. IME, from working at a shop that sold Sevens, a few of the custom frames that were based solely on their custom worksheet had fairly unique (sometimes odd looking) geometries. In 2 cases the customer asked for the frames to be “revised” . I’m not sure if they have changed their fit/geometry philosophy over the years but it is something to consider. Good luck
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

Windrider (Stubborn)
    If you like the Seven workmanship and want the best fitting possible, consider visiting Tom Kellogg at the Barn at Spectrum Cycles. He will fit you, design the bike have Seven make it, & paint it any way you want.

If you are not aware, Tom Designed most of the merlin bikes and is a guru in the industry.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    The shop that I'm working with is consistently one of the top ten Seven sales stores, there nitch is custom bikes. My bike has taken a bit longer because we did have multiple discussion about the design. Having done two fittings and one minor follow-up in the past four years we have a good feel for my touch points. We even explored maximum saddle to bar drop that I'd ever want to go and also evaluated minimum bar drop as I get older.

Low rep power
    A buddy of mine owns one and loves it.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Formosan Cyclocross
    The process involves close cooperation with your local Seven retailer. They do the minor fitting and fine tune Seven's own calculations to account for the things that Seven can't determine.

Luckily for me, they were right the first time.

banned
    Jan 2011
    I got a coupled ti seven, it ride pretty good. I'm thinking if they are building the bike & want to use curved seat stays, there is a reason. If you think you can design better, you can build your own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the look of their curved stays. IMHO, Seven makes the best lookin Ti frames, period. Serotta, Holland, IF, Moots, Eriksen, Strong, Davidson, Baum, etc all may ride better (I don't really believe that) but none of those Ti frames look as nice IMHO.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

banned
    I've had my Axiom since 1999. While I like the way it rides I just added a Fisher Cronus Ultimate which has taken over the spot as the primary bike. This last weekend I loaned it to a friend for a ride. He loved it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    If you like the Seven workmanship and want the best fitting possible, consider visiting Tom Kellogg at the Barn at Spectrum Cycles. He will fit you, design the bike have Seven make it, & paint it any way you want.

If you are not aware, Tom Designed most of the merlin bikes and is a guru in the industry.

Len

That is just what I did! Tom wrote me 3 days ago and told me my frame was going to be in the next paint batch. YEA!

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    That is just what I did! Tom wrote me 3 days ago and told me my frame was going to be in the next paint batch. YEA!
    Sweet....

Post pics when u get it.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    my bike-fitter owns Seven Ti. Loves it. I own Baum Ti. Love it.