Steaming piles of opinion

This should shake things up...

US-made Ti frames starting at $1100? Completes starting at $2200? From a known brand like Lynskey?Lynskey Performance Designs - Silver Series - Introducing the all new Lynskey Performance Silver Series

Going to be interesting to see what his does to the market.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Wow. Thats awesome.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Can someone explain "oversold" to me? Quote:

"Company spokesman Jackson Lynch said Lynskey has been oversold for the last six years but moved into a new, larger factory last August."

Thanks.

For what it's worth, Lynch went on to say this: "From a dealer standpoint, the line allows some differentiation on the sales floor, for people who didn't think they could get on titanium," Lynch said. Lynch said the frames and complete bikes are priced to allow ample dealer margins."
    Last edited by wim; 02-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    This strategy isn't much different from the Litespeed Catalyst that came out around 1994 for just over $1000. I can envision Lynskey following the same path and making the same mistakes that led Litespeed to where they are now, i.e. primarily selling carbon frames.

Re-Cyclist
    That's nice, but I ain't shook.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Can someone explain "oversold" to me? Quote:

"Company spokesman Jackson Lynch said Lynskey has been oversold for the last six years but moved into a new, larger factory last August."

Thanks.

For what it's worth, Lynch went on to say this: "From a dealer standpoint, the line allows some differentiation on the sales floor, for people who didn't think they could get on titanium," Lynch said. Lynch said the frames and complete bikes are priced to allow ample dealer margins."
    I take it to mean that they sold more frames than they could produce and thus left customers waiting. Like when an airline over sells seats on a plane.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Very cool, I have a 2 Lynskey frames at the house and thinking about more.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    I take it to mean that they sold more frames than they could produce and thus left customers waiting. Like when an airline over sells seats on a plane.
    Thanks. Wasn't sure if they meant that or if they tried to say that they priced their bikes too low.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    The frames/bikes are available for purchase/ordering last night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hmmm.....What'll be really interesting (I think) is to find out if they are any good or not. Definitely a game changer if they offer even a half way decent ride.

My first thought was they must have outsourced production to Asia/Mexico/Wherever and slapped their name on but I can see after actually reading the link I was wrong about that.
    Not that I think quality bikes can't be made anywhere or that crap can't be made in the US......but at that price, made in the US, I got to wonder what gives.

On a different mission...
    *YAWN*

I'm not shaken either - and I've owned Litespeed, Moots, and Lynskey bikes. No more malleable ti for me...
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not that I think quality bikes can't be made anywhere or that crap can't be made in the US......but at that price, made in the US, I got to wonder what gives.
    No customization
    No oversized/custom tubing as on their regular frames, the tubing is comparable to overseas made frames
    Minimalistic/Cookie Cutter approach

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    US-made Ti frames starting at $1100? Completes starting at $2200? From a known brand like Lynskey?Lynskey Performance Designs - Silver Series - Introducing the all new Lynskey Performance Silver Series

Going to be interesting to see what his does to the market.

Not earth shattering, but will be a good option for someone looking for a super durable, long haul bike, that still offers some performance.

I would consider one, as an understated addition to the stable for someone who already has a flashy crabon bike (which seems to be many these days).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    No customization
    No oversized/custom tubing as on their regular frames, the tubing is comparable to overseas made frames
    Minimalistic/Cookie Cutter approach
    I realize that. But these are BikesDirect prices (or close) for an American made bike by a reputable company.
    Not that who makes it means it's better or even as good......but given what I know about the two business models (Bikes direct and the like vs Lynsky or any other company in the US with US workers) I'm just wondering what gives here making them the same-ish price. Maybe BD's margins are pretty high and the same or similar can be made in the US by trimming margins.....I don't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm glad I bought my Lynskey Breakaway when I did (placed the order the morning the site went live for the Silver Series). They have seemingly rethought their pricing after the first run, the price was recently bumped up to 1299 from the initial 1099. I'm very pleased with the frame the welds are great, I put the bike together as a backup/trainer/roller/rain day ride, smoother ride than the Helix (to be expected with the straight smaller tubes).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you post some pics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It's on the list, try to do it this weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those Silver series Lynskey's are not sourced out, I asked before I bought one myself! Lynskey company rep said they will never source out any frame to be made that comes with the Lynskey name on it. And on the frame, it says made in Tennessee USA. Now whether or not illegals did the welding and cutting is a different story...just kidding.

The difference between the Silver Series the next one up is simply it's not double butted tubing which makes it weigh about a 1/2 pound more at the most.

By the way, I'm more than happy with the Lynskey Silver Series Peloton that I got. I did end up it getting through Matthew at Adrenalin Bikes in Califor because I was able to swap a few parts that Lynskey direct could not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticman View Post
    This strategy isn't much different from the Litespeed Catalyst that came out around 1994 for just over $1000.
    1994 dollars are not 2013 dollars. Adjusted for inflation this would have been a ~$6-700 frame back then, which is aluminum money.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I forgot to mention, I did seriously consider the Motobecane Titanium bikes offered through Bikes Direct, but I found out that their 2013 models were all going to be equipped with disk brakes, I have no need for disk brakes nor want the complication of them so I looked around till I found another deal. Habanero was the next choice, but then I discovered the new Silver series from Lynskey and it was actually less expensive than the Habanero made in China, so I got the Lynskey. The price from Lynskey when I got on board was a introductory price, they have already raised it $250 which is still less than the Habanero.

I did get to ride a friends Motobecane (older version without the disk brakes), and it was a fine riding bike with decent looking welds, if disk are ok with you I don't see a problem with getting one of those, they are about $400 less (Rival on the Moto vs 105 on the Lynskey) at the time than the similarly equipped Lynskey Silver series. But I got mine through Matthew at Adrenalin Bikes and was able to do swap upgrades that I could not have done with the Motobecane or the Habanero, or even if I gotten it through Lynskey directly.

Adrenalin Bikes has a slew of frames you can get, from several different titanium models to various steel including NOS vintage lugged steel and NOS vintage Vitus 979 aluminium frames; see: Adrenaline Bikes And you can pick and choose group set packages and even upgrade within a package. Matthew at Adrenalin is very knowledgeable and very nice person to deal with, he is also very logical, he won't over sell you something to make a buck if there is no advantage to doing so.