Waterford RS-22 built with Reynolds 953:

1987 Schwinn Paramount "Standard":

2010 Schwinn Sprint SS/FG:

1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9:
    A true oculargasm
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    My 2006 Bob Jackson, from the NE of England.

853 lugged, CF fork.

Really need some newer photos! Now has a mix of DA shifters, Ultegra der's, SRAM Force crank, Mavic 10th Anniversary wheels.

Bought because BJ was almost a local frame builder where I grew up. Also had another, back in 1972/73. It was far faster than this one, though my wife suggests that might be due to it being ridden by some skinny kid who regarded crits as fun stuff and sprinting as something to be done in front of anyone who was around ;)

This one is a superb ride. No need to worry in corners, just think about the bend some, she's gone around it. With a high BB, mostly don't even bother to stop pedaling either. The geometry is much what I rode way back then, though a slight slope to the head tube and a small, yet still degrading, head tube extension take care of encroaching old age. She's pretty easy going over the rough roads of the Chicago area, despite the stiff frame and steeper angles I prefer, but I never have cared to ride long distance, so that characteristic escapes me.

I started on buyin this frame by visiting BJ's store cum frame building workshop in 2005, talked over the few odd quirks I wanted in the geometry, then World Class Cycles in New York, their US agents, handled the rest. No instant gratification - started in mid 05, frame was delivered in February 2006. But its mine, and it fits me like I wanted. The colour scheme is also a one-off, unless someone's seen pictures and copied it.

If anyone's wondering - the paint job incurred no extra charge beyond the chrome plated chainstays. Those rings on the seat tube are paint too, not decals.

Good stuff in this thread, my thanks to all the contributors

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-full-frame-small.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-p3280006.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

your god hates me
    I've got two right now:

1986 Bridgestone 600

2010 Carl Strong custom w/ S&S couplers

If this thread is still going in another 2 or 3 years, that's when my name comes up in the Richard Sachs queue...

Burning Fists of Love

cool bike

Quote Originally Posted by Dereck
    My 2006 Bob Jackson, from the NE of England.

853 lugged, CF fork.

Really need some newer photos! Now has a mix of DA shifters, Ultegra der's, SRAM Force crank, Mavic 10th Anniversary wheels.

Bought because BJ was almost a local frame builder where I grew up. Also had another, back in 1972/73. It was far faster than this one, though my wife suggests that might be due to it being ridden by some skinny kid who regarded crits as fun stuff and sprinting as something to be done in front of anyone who was around ;)

This one is a superb ride. No need to worry in corners, just think about the bend some, she's gone around it. With a high BB, mostly don't even bother to stop pedaling either. The geometry is much what I rode way back then, though a slight slope to the head tube and a small, yet still degrading, head tube extension take care of encroaching old age. She's pretty easy going over the rough roads of the Chicago area, despite the stiff frame and steeper angles I prefer, but I never have cared to ride long distance, so that characteristic escapes me.

I started on buyin this frame by visiting BJ's store cum frame building workshop in 2005, talked over the few odd quirks I wanted in the geometry, then World Class Cycles in New York, their US agents, handled the rest. No instant gratification - started in mid 05, frame was delivered in February 2006. But its mine, and it fits me like I wanted. The colour scheme is also a one-off, unless someone's seen pictures and copied it.

If anyone's wondering - the paint job incurred no extra charge beyond the chrome plated chainstays. Those rings on the seat tube are paint too, not decals.

Good stuff in this thread, my thanks to all the contributors

D
    Still saving my duucketrs for a full restore on my 73/74 Bob Jackson find.....Cool color!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    If someone will tell me how to make pictures that fit the requirements of this web site (something like 1280 by 800 pixels) I will post pictures of my Eisentraut. AND Bilenky said they are finished with my Bob Jackson and packing it for shipping now. So I will be able to post pictures of it with S&S couplings and a new orange paint job.

I tried to post pictures of the Eisentraut before, but they are too big. I don't know enough about digital photography yet to know how to fix them. When I just reduced them, they got cut off.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanSayer
    If someone will tell me how to make pictures that fit the requirements of this web site (something like 1280 by 800 pixels) I will post pictures of my Eisentraut. AND Bilenky said they are finished with my Bob Jackson and packing it for shipping now. So I will be able to post pictures of it with S&S couplings and a new orange paint job.

I tried to post pictures of the Eisentraut before, but they are too big. I don't know enough about digital photography yet to know how to fix them. When I just reduced them, they got cut off.
    Send your pics to me (e-mail the attachment) after you have PM'd me for an address and I'll re-size in Photoshop and have 'em back to you in minutes.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member

Orbea

I have three orbeas, an 08 Orca, 07 Aqua and my newest addition the 05 Spirit. Its got the same geometry as the other two bikes and is made of Columbus Spirit steel, the same stuff Pegoretti uses....I have found that the super stiff wheels like MAvic K's go best with this bike. The Steel frame cuts the harshness out of the rims and the stiffness of the rims bring the bike to life.. Just my two cents..
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry for the fuzzy photo

Voodoo Wazoo

BIKE GEEK
    My 2011 Masi Gran Criterium....LOVE IT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-img_6393.jpg  
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Masi Gran Criterium
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few Ritchey's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-chicane.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-rsz_img_1444.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-swisscross-full.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    My Sachs 25th Anniversary replica and All City Nature Boy fixed cyclocross (with studded tires). I have been contemplating putting down tube shifters on the Sachs....

My bike gallery: http://racerx.zenfolio.com/p647572513

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    currently have 2. A Guerciotti built with SLX New and a custom Proletariat built out of True Temper OS. Buy and sell plenty of bikes over the years these seem to be keepers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-guerciotti.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Excellent thread....now if Len would sell me that Sachs he poasted here it would be even better. My size too.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member

Used to be a 99 Lemond

Is it still a Lemond if all thats left is the frame? Originally it was a 99 Lemond Buenos Aires in Yellow and the frame is Reynolds 853. I decided to keep her and upgrade her with a new powder coat and some new bits. So far so good. It's so hard to convey the paint job in a picture. She sparkles in the sun but is almost a flat color in the low light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-purplepassion.jpg  
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Here is my 2008 Soma DoubbleCross

2008-03-09_0063a

and my new 2010 IF Club Racer

IMG_0034

RoadBikeReview Member
    Drool-drool. Lots of nice ones...lust is developing for a vintage frame. ;)

Mine:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Lovin this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here are my two favorites...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-brand-new-zank.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-zank-downtube.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-waterford-frt-qtr-resize-2.jpg  
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    If Ssr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-if4.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

06 scapin

not a lot of these around but its been pretty damn good so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-img_0802.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    Still saving my duucketrs for a full restore on my 73/74 Bob Jackson find.....Cool color!
    Thank you! The colour scheme was originally red with white panelling - like my first BJ. In the interim, my beloved had this idea of forming a consultancy company - nothing grandiose, her brains and beauty, my coffee making skills - and chose orange and white as the company logo colours.

So I got up with BJ and, as it hadn't got into the paint shop, they were happy to change it. That orange is definitely 'sunglasses essential' and different.

Snag is, if I ever have it resprayed - which is an attraction of a steel frame - it'll really have to go back to England if I want to keep the pattern in different colours. Waterford will do restoration resprays on BJs, says their website, but they charge $60 per masked-off paint line. Will let you work out the cost of that seat tube yourself

That BJ of yourse - any chance it was red with white panels, mostly Campag Nuovo Record and was once owned by someone who lived near Doncaster in England?

Okay, being silly there ;) In the meantime, the attached is one of the front rooms in Bob Jackson's retail section - they own an entire building. Downstairs front is their bike shops and a couple of other village stores, back of downstairs and the entire second floor is their building facility. They have their paint shop in there too. Every frame in this room of built bikes and framesets is steel.

Feel free to drool a little

Regards

Dereck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-bj-bikes-fm-rear.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-bj-frames.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-curly-jackson-store.jpg  
    Last edited by Dereck; 03-11-2011 at 08:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Sorry folks - an attempt to edit / rotate that shot caused them to do strange things in my initial post.
    This possibly qualifies as a second post now...
    D

Burning Fists of Love

color, orange is faster

Thank you! The colour scheme was originally red with white panelling - like my first BJ. In the interim, my beloved had this idea of forming a consultancy company - nothing grandiose, her brains and beauty, my coffee making skills - and chose orange and white as the company logo colours.

So I got up with BJ and, as it hadn't got into the paint shop, they were happy to change it. That orange is definitely 'sunglasses essential' and different.

Snag is, if I ever have it resprayed - which is an attraction of a steel frame - it'll really have to go back to England if I want to keep the pattern in different colours. Waterford will do restoration resprays on BJs, says their website, but they charge $60 per masked-off paint line. Will let you work out the cost of that seat tube yourself

That BJ of yourse - any chance it was red with white panels, mostly Campag Nuovo Record and was once owned by someone who lived near Doncaster in England?

Okay, being silly there ;) In the meantime, the attached is one of the front rooms in Bob Jackson's retail section - they own an entire building. Downstairs front is their bike shops and a couple of other village stores, back of downstairs and the entire second floor is their building facility. They have their paint shop in there too. Every frame in this room of built bikes and framesets is steel.

Feel free to drool a little

Regards

Dereck
    The current BJ frame is what Raleigh used to call a Mink Blue. I just dont like it and the frame needs a slight rust removal. I love orange as a color because one this thing is restored, I am keeping the components AND everyone knows, orange is faster. Look at Merckx ;-)

Thats right, the only thing I might change would possibly be the BB, and of course the wheels. I am not a fan of sew ups.Otherwise, it will look rather, well, 1973/74 ish, which is waaaay cool by me.

I am still stunned that the components work this well.

Burning Fists of Love

no problem here

Sorry folks - an attempt to edit / rotate that shot caused them to do strange things in my initial post.
    This possibly qualifies as a second post now...
    D
    No worries, looks cool to me

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast