Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    The current BJ frame is what Raleigh used to call a Mink Blue. I just dont like it and the frame needs a slight rust removal. I love orange as a color because one this thing is restored, I am keeping the components AND everyone knows, orange is faster. Look at Merckx ;-)

Thats right, the only thing I might change would possibly be the BB, and of course the wheels. I am not a fan of sew ups.Otherwise, it will look rather, well, 1973/74 ish, which is waaaay cool by me.

I am still stunned that the components work this well.
    Only raced a blue bike once, and would rather not dwell on that... Eddy's orange was slightly more tasteful than mine. One has to compensate. In the case of Eddy, all have to compensate ;) I didn't pick out my orange, just asked BJ to find a bright one. Knowing the Yorkshire sense of humour - I'm from that county - they probably laughed about that one all night in the pub.

Yours will undoubtably look well 1970s, though I don't blame you for trading in the tubulars for 700 x 23s. Lacing Mavic OPs onto your period hubs shouldn't be a big issue, and will look fine and work good.

I rode tubs back in the day, as they were all we had for racing. Also, was one of very few in town who could repair a puncture in one - a real PITA in modernspeak for sure. The best for racers, to be sure, but too much fuss for those of us who have to buy our gear or are realistic in outlook ;)

If you have good compo's from the era, look after them and they'll do for years. We used to live just outside DC and a regular Sunday site on Beach Drive, the old park road into DC from MD, was a guy who collected old road bikes. Saw him often on 70-ish road bikes, but attempts to ask him about them proved futile - got the impression he just wasn't about to talk to folk on 'modern' bikes.

Once muttered about going on an EBay quest to rig this BJ out like my last one. Spousal Unit, who rides a much loved Gunnar Sport, looked at me and mumbled something that sounded like 'and give up your STI shifters?'. I bow my head in shame and admit she's right.

Good luck with your restoration

Dereck

Is not a clown car
    a collection of what I've owned/own.
    kelly Cyclocross
    SS LeMond Poprad
    Jamis Exile SS 29"er
    DSC_0286
    Singular Swift
    Singular Kite
    NSFW.
    work-13
    From bike likes
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsutaoka
    Me likes. What kind of tubing is that?

Devoid of all flim-flam

Such a bevy of bounteous beauties!

Everybody. Outstanding. Stelvio -- Kudos! A classy clutch of cycles.

My own meager collection.

1) My 1973 Italvega Nuovo Record, repainted and renamed by me and my sister back in '75. Currently on loan to an old buddy.

2) My 1985 Somec Supercorsa. Columbus SL. Yes, almost all of the decals are long since gone, but I still ride it all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-fazio-right.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-fazio-signature.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-somec-somec-thread.jpg  
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member

pair of Merckx frames,Columbus SLX and Brain tubing

the panasonic colour "criterium" frame is shown with tri "race" wheels (but no pressure in tyres)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-imag0050.jpg   Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-imag0065.jpg  

century rider
    Apr 2002
    wilier triestina
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-5521515794_5dccdd3c63_z.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Mapie,

What is the function of the wire in front of the brake in the second picture?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    moved to end of thread
    Last edited by shinewheel; 03-12-2011 at 10:32 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fflyr
    Mapie,

What is the function of the wire in front of the brake in the second picture?
    It's supposed to clean the tire of debris, for those who don't like to clean their tires by hand while continuing to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    still my favorites-

cinelli nuovo supercorsa

de rosa professional sl

Last edited by caterham; 03-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    one more try....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

1998 Ibis Spanky

Fresh off a complete rejuvenation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-spanky.jpg  

Beetpull DeLite
    My main road bike, Jamis Ventura:

Newly painted and rebuilt Raleigh Super Course fixie:

New Jamis Aurora touring bike, generic Jamis photo:

Old Mongoose ATB. Soon will receive a compact crank and mtn cassette:

Burnum Upus Quadricepus

Nothin' fancy here. I bought this 1999 Schwinn Peloton about a year ago. It's TIG-welded Reynolds 853 in crit geometry. It rapidly became my favorite mid-week commuter (when I don't have to tote anything to work) because of the way it handles the slice-and-dice of city traffic.

Makes me giddy every time I ride it.

Now that salt season is about over, it's about time to dust it off and air it out.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    My main road bike, Jamis Ventura:

Wow, nice colors and nicely posed. What's keeping the bike from taking a header off the railing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Maldea

A Ranada frame originally built in the 90's with Tange Prestige tubing. Rebuilt this 2011 by Ave Maldea in the Philippines. Groupset is 8 spd Shimano 105 SC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Your Steel Frame Bikes Here-maldea.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Wow, little did I realize that posting photos of my two LeMonds and asking to see other steel-frame bikes would being such a fantastic response. I have enjoyed drooling over each and every one and appreciate everyone who has participated. Keep them coming guys.

I have a large office in my home and since all of my bikes reside there they enjoy what could probably be described as ideal storage conditions. If rain is in the forecast before a ride I leave the steel at home and ride carbon fiber but I do occasionlly get caught in a sudden downpour while quite some distance from home on one of my steel-frame bikes.

With that said, I will now ask a question. Do you guys treat the inside of a frame to prevent rusting? I understand that two products called Weigle's Frame Saver and Boeshield are popular for that. I am assuming that in order to properly apply either throughout the interior of a frame, the bike has to be totally disassembled. Correct?

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    With that said, I will now ask a question. Do you guys treat the inside of a frame to prevent rusting? I understand that two products called Weigle's Frame Saver and Boeshield are popular for that. I am assuming that in order to properly apply either throughout the interior of a frame, the bike has to be totally disassembled. Correct?
    I use the Weigle's Frame Saver on mine and will typically do it when the bike's completely apart. For one, it's easier to apply, and also much easier to rotate the bare frame around to get everything coated.

If not, I'll usually remove the crank & BB to get the downtube, then the seatpost to get the top tube and seat tube. You could also remove the fork and seatpost. Stays are done through the little holes.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    Wow, nice colors and nicely posed. What's keeping the bike from taking a header off the railing?
    Grassy ass! The rear tire's leaning against the column and the bike's darn near upright.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by unclefuzzy_ss
    a collection of what I've owned/own.
    1) Do you still own the Jamis?

2) If yes, would you like to sell it to me?

banned
    Grassy ass! The rear tire's leaning against the column and the bike's darn near upright.
    I know. I'd just be afraid that the front wheel would turn and the thing'd take a header.

Me no likey scratches on nice frame.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MONsterD
    A Ranada frame originally built in the 90's with Tange Prestige tubing. Rebuilt this 2011 by Ave Maldea in the Philippines. Groupset is 8 spd Shimano 105 SC.
    Can you tell us more about your interactions with Maldea? And the logistics involved (or did you travel to the Phillipines)?

His prices are simply amazing/almost-too-good-to-be-true, yet I haven't heard bad word one about the guy.

Is not a clown car
    1) Do you still own the Jamis?

2) If yes, would you like to sell it to me?
    a] nope.
    x] of course I would have! If you can find one, get it. It was a great riding bike. Light, responsive, smooth. Good stuff indeed.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I use the Weigle's Frame Saver on mine and will typically do it when the bike's completely apart. For one, it's easier to apply, and also much easier to rotate the bare frame around to get everything coated.

If not, I'll usually remove the crank & BB to get the downtube, then the seatpost to get the top tube and seat tube. You could also remove the fork and seatpost. Stays are done through the little holes.
    Considering that my bikes probably get rained on no more than a time or two each year, along with the favorable storage conditions, how often should I apply the Frame Saver?

Thanks

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast