RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Question SlingShot Road Bike

I recently picked up a Slingshot road bike frame in perfect condition. Currently building it out and would like to know its age. Zero information on the website? Anyone out there know the serial number code or anything?

Does anyone have a picture to post of their bike with their year of purchase or something? And who would like to sell me their travel bag? ROAD TRIP!

Great White North
    If it's a folding frame, it's likely to be newer than ~2005 IIRC, that's when the folding line came out..

Nice bikes, if you can deal with only having 1 bottle mount..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the heads up on aging..based on drop outs, it didn't look that new. I hear you on the one bottle mount...will have to put a double behind the saddle.

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Here was my 2004/2005-ish folding model. I forget.

CIMG0223

Ran out of room in the garage and sold the frame on ebay last year. Sure I'll kick myself about that eventually. It was an awesome bike, I just hadn't ridden it in over a year, and the house was getting full.

I have more detailed pics if you need them....

CIMG0222

CIMG1273

CIMG1269

CIMG1264

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    and my garage looked like this for a couple days back in 2008 or so:

Slingshots2

Two of those were for co-workers in Japan. But that shows the MTB line at some point.

Steel 26er (green)
    Aluminum Ripper 26er (black with the fairing'd seat tube)
    and my old 29er

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Pretty cool actually. What a conversation starter if the "pro's" didn't snub you from their carbon wonder frames. This would be a pretty neat bike to have for tooling around on just because it was so different, at least for most normal casual/recreational non-pro riders.
    Go against the tide.

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, it was a real conversation starter, but for the most part in a good/curious way. A lot of questions about BB flex and such, which are honestly never and issue. It was a complete blast to ride and as fast feeling and anything else I've ridden.

The hooded Ritchey dropouts are not compatible with our Chariot trailers. That's one the main reasons I sold it.

If they come out with a new "real Slingshot" CX bike I'd probably buy one in a second.

rmp

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thanks! I'm looking to use it as a workout bike while traveling on business...don't want to start the whole "Will airlines make me pay?" but I'm hoping to get the whole thing down to a big suitcase for easy transport, while still having performance when I get there.

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troylake67
    Thanks! I'm looking to use it as a workout bike while traveling on business...don't want to start the whole "Will airlines make me pay?" but I'm hoping to get the whole thing down to a big suitcase for easy transport, while still having performance when I get there.
    Pika Packworks makes a soft case for Slingshot that is within an inch or two of the airline's size limits, I never got charged for it. when they ask what it is, say "bicycle parts". That's all it will look like (especially a Slingshot with no downtube) to the untrained eye.

rmp