RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

soda blasting carbon

Please, only 1st hand experience replies. I want to completely strip my Giant Defy Composite frame. I keep reading stories about someone's friend having their frame soda blasted but I never get to hear from someone who has had it done to their frame (1st hand). So please, if you have had this done, tell me the details. Pictures if you have them too.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by arinowner View Post
    Please, only 1st hand experience replies.
    Good luck with that.

Since it is however teh internetz I feel compelled to at least offer some suggestions on where you might have better luck: Try contacting bicycle painters (and/or framebuilders who work in carbon and do their own paint) directly.
    - Crumpton, Parlee, or Calfee might have some good suggestions or advise.
    - There's a guy here in NYC who makes frames under the SPCarbon monicker who I think does his own paint ...or at least he's been very forthcoming with info amongst the locals. His name is Sean, can be reached via SPCARBON Bicycles New York CitySPCARBON Bicycles
    - ask Carl Strong who did his paint when he was building in carbon
    - not sure if Joe Bell does carbon, but if he does he probably knows more about prepping & painting it than anyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Good advice. Although most shops may not be so willing to part with That information for obvious reasons. But I will try. Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    well, after numerous phone calls to different builders and painters to ask for advice on stripping a carbon frame, I have decided to go with Carbo-lift. I've researched the soda blasting way and the sanding by hand way and Carbo-lift seems to be the best way for me. So, I placed an order today and should receive it soon.
    A full write up and review will follow. I will post pictures both before and after the entire process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    How did the Carbo Lift work for you? I'm also looking into using it for a new frame I want to buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    It worked pretty well. It took a lot of the bigStuff off. Make sure you use it the way it says in the directions. It loves to be used in hot weather. Do not let it dry on your frame. And it does make a mess. But all in all I give it about A7 Out of 10