RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Soma Smoothie ES question..

I've been considering building up my own road bike for awhile now and I'm just about ready to make the plunge... After test riding a friend's Soma Smoothie, I've been set on it but I've decided to get the Soma Smoothie ES instead for the extra comfort/versatility as I would eventually want to get into some credit card touring, etc.

I realize that coming onto a bike forum to ask "which size frame should I get?" is just about as ridiculous as going onto to yahoo answers to ask "why does it hurt when I pee?". In case you are worried for me, I don't have any such pee problems...
    Anyway, based on anyone's previous experience with Soma Smoothie/Smoothie ES what can I expect from the fit of the ES? I'm 5'5" about a 31.5" inseam. My friend had a 52cm Smoothie and the standover height felt fine, but I could probably do ok with the 54cm as well. The stretch felt good. Should I just assume that if I fit well in the 52 smoothie that I can probably expect the same from the ES, or do the sizes run a little different with the ES?

RoadBikeReview Member
    At your height, there isn't a lot or reason to go larger than 52, unless your back is so bad that you need all the head tube height you can get. The top tube length isn't that big a deal, since stems come in different lengths, but at your height it may be difficult to get a short enough stem to get a proper reach and saddle set back with the long top tube of a 54. But getting a long enough stem with the 52 will never be a problem.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    You are probably right about that, but I think with the ES, given the dimensions they give, I wouldn't even consider getting the 54 because it would be too big. I'm more considering between the 50 and 52 for the ES. Where I'm sort of confused is that the dimensions they give for the ES 52 seem somewhat bigger overall than that of the regular smoothie in the same size. Maybe this has a lot to do with the "semi compact geometry" of the smoothie; making it fit smaller?

Maybe I should just buy it in both sizes and use the frame I don't like as much as "wall art"

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I am 5'9" and ride a 54 Smoothie with a 110 stem and 85mm reach bar.. It fits perfect. I love the frame. I think you will too. The ES is a great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I owned a 56 ES for about 5 years and I loved it. I do wish I had sized up to a 58 though. If you're going to set it up with the bars below the saddle then go with the same size top tube you normally ride. If you're going to fit it with fenders and plan to do a bit of touring, get the largest frame you can straddle. You can still get the bars plenty low, but you will have less toe clip overlap and it will be easier to get the bars up higher without using a million spacers. Not that there's anything wrong with spacers, but you'll surely get comment's from uppity roadies.