RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Speciailized Roubaix Comp vs. Colnago Arte

Hi Guys

This is my first post here as I am mainly a MTBer .I didn't expect to be bitten by the Road bug but now my journey to the dark side is almost complete! I bought an entry level Giant OCR 3 (2006) and already she is starting to look a little shoddy especially since I have a very sexy Ellsworth Epiphany MTB. So yup, It's time to upgrade!!!

Also my wife has threatened to start road riding as well as she was never keen to MTB. A quick browse around has uncovered some very sexy bikes in my price range both for me and my woman.

For me - I was looking at the Specialized Roubaix Comp 2006 simply because the Geometry seems to be similar to the Giant OCR that I am currently riding and finding really comfy. The Comp in Australia comes with a mix of shimano 105 and Ultegra bits.

I was pretty much sold on this until I spotted a Colnago Arte 2006 in a shop window and she stole my heart! Beautifully finished welds, Carbon handlebars, fork,stem,seatpost, seat and chain stays with a very nicely shaped and finished aluminium front triangle. I believe this is the first time they are being put together in Asia but I don't give a rats ass where they are built provided the quality is not compromised. Also comes with full 10speed Ultegra and is $200 cheaper than the Specialized?

For the Wife - I am very keen on the Specialized Dolce Elite (2006) which comes with Carbon Fork and 105 Level Components. This is part of Spec's WSD (Woman Specific Design) range and no, it's not pink! It's a very nice baby blue which matches her eyes!

Interested to hear from anyone who knows these bikes and has anything to say that might steer me in the right direction for my next upgrade and my Wife's first road bike.

Road Riding Rocks! but MTB is even better!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speciailized Roubaix Comp vs. Colnago Arte-06dolceelite27_blu_l.jpg   Speciailized Roubaix Comp vs. Colnago Arte-colnago_arte_blue-3500.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by greg.ag; 08-21-2006 at 03:18 PM.

banned
    Oct 2003

buy it

get that Colnago

she will love it!
    and a Colnago at less than a Specialized is a deal
    even if both frames were made in the same factory [which maybe the case]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    why not go up the giant ladder if you like the ocr 3?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Have her pick out her own bike, and test ride some bikes first.

I drank what?
    Quote Originally Posted by collectorvelo
    get that Colnago

she will love it!
    and a Colnago at less than a Specialized is a deal
    even if both frames were made in the same factory [which maybe the case]
    I'd choose the Roubaix simply because its a carbon bicycle and it's a comfy bike. Haven't ridden Colnago, but they are pimp bicycles due to their history and Italian heritage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Road Bikes Cont'd....

Thanks for the feedback received so far.

I have always leaned towards the Colnago for myself and my wife likes the look of the Dolce Elite.

I am still keen to hear from someone who has ridden or owns either of these bikes.

Cheers

I drank what?
    On the 'cool' side of things, Colnago definately have a leg up on Specialized for the simple fact that not as many people ride them in the states. (Besides, throw in the name Ferrari with something that has wheels, and you'll definately win the 'cool' award)

As far as quality, I'm guessing the top of the line Specializeds and Colnagos bicycles aren't that much different if at all. It would be interesting to see the total numbers of bicycle Colnago produces vs Specialized. Although I do like the Colnago paint jobs better even though I ride a Specialized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    i ride a spec comp and it is - as has been reported by many in the reviews section and elsewhere - a very comfortable bike, well suited to long road rides ... did you test ride both bikes? what were your impressions? what's more important to you, bling or comfort? would love to hear your report on the ride comparison...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    hello,

definately go for the colnago. the entire colnago range just seems to ooze quality not to mention that they are well made bikes...might possibly have something to do with it!! check out:

http://www.excelpro.com.au/products_colnago.htm

and they have all the prices and specs for australia.
    i dont meant to confuse you, but possibly have a look at the cinelli's, they are itallian too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Colnago

Hi William

Gotta say I am currently leaning towards the Colnago for myself and a Spec for my Wife.
    She is only just starting out on a Road Bike.

I have already checked out the excelpro website http://www.excelpro.com.au/
    but I gotta say that the Arte looks 1000x better in the flesh (or in Aluminium & Carbon !).

Now do I wait for my tax Return or put the Wife's MTB on eBay ? I could also maybe sell some of her clothes, she doesn't really need them anyway! oh **** she's standing behind me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Colnago Arte vs Spec Roubaix Comp

Quote Originally Posted by bc165
    i ride a spec comp and it is - as has been reported by many in the reviews section and elsewhere - a very comfortable bike, well suited to long road rides ... did you test ride both bikes? what were your impressions? what's more important to you, bling or comfort? would love to hear your report on the ride comparison...
    I haven't ridden either bike yet and both my LBSs don't offer test rides. I was considering the Roubaix for these reasons:-

1. I previously owned a specialized MTB and am a fan of this brand.
    2. I could get a substantial discount buying 2 bikes from the same agent. I am also looking at the Specialized Dolce Elite (Woman Specific Design) which should provide a great entry point into the sport for my Wife.
    3. I hear the Roubaix has similar Geometry to the Giant OCR (Giant's Comfort Range) that I am currently riding.
    4. The Full Carbon frame at a relatively low price point.

Now the Colnago Arte:-

1. Cool factor and stronger brand recognition in road bike design than Specialized.
    2. More Race orientated Geometry (if I plan to take this sport a little more seriously)
    3. Competitively priced at $200 cheaper with better specced Shimano components (Ultegra vs 105/Ultegra mix on Spec Comp)
    4. Carbon Rear triangle and Front Fork should suck up the rough stuff enough.

My main concern with the Arte is going to be changing over to a more race orienated geometry from my current ride. As I am new to the sport (Mainly a MTBer) I am still finding my positioning on a road bike a little strange! If I get the Arte I could always play with the stem height etc and then gradually develop a better road racing position. On the other hand I might be kidding myself and find that I am spending too much time at the Physio

Interested to hear of other riders experiences with bike fit & just starting out.
    Last edited by greg.ag; 08-25-2006 at 06:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Your fit concerns are well-founded. Any nice-looking bike in the price range you are looking at will have tradeoffs and it seems from what you have posted you are astute enough to see where the tradeoffs are on each bike. So I would say you are making good choices, provided:
    Your bike shop does understand how important proper fit is and will take the time with you to change whatever is necessary so you and your wife are properly fit. You don't necessarily want to be deeply tucked as on an all-out racing bike, but might prefer a more-upright stance. Talking to your bike shop guy should help in that respect. Good hunting and keep on riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanproj
    why not go up the giant ladder if you like the ocr 3?
    I have given this some serious consideration especially after reading a very favourable review of the OCR C2 (Full Carbon Frame). In the end , I am looking at something else because while Giant make awesome bikes, I have to admit to having some bias towards the other manufacturers. If value for money is not my main consideration, I'd rather buy a Specialized or an Italian road brand name. I think that for these brands to get the recognition they have got that they must make some pretty good bikes. Guess that makes me a bit of a sucker and maybe a bike snob? I dunno!

At least with Specialized I have some idea of what I am getting in terms of quality if the quality of thier MTB bikes is anything to go by (I owned a Specialized Stumpy hardtail).

The OCR3 I think was the perfect choice for my introduction into the sport having come from MTB. Now that I am upgrading, I am prepared to make more of an investment and get something that I will not want/need to upgrade again in a hurry!

Do you own Giant and if so how do you find it ?