RoadBikeReview Member

Specialized 04 Dolce Sport - What should she pay?

My friend is looking to buy a 2004 Specialized Dolce Sport from a friend. The friend wants to sell it for $400, but that seems a bit steep to me.

BikePedia - 2004 Specialized Dolce Sport Complete Bicycle

It's got 9 speed Triple sora/Tiagra components. It is in good shape (shifts fine, wheels are true, tires are in good shape).

What should she pay for it at the end of the day?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized 04 Dolce Sport - What should she pay?-04dolcesport_l.jpg  

2011 Scott CR1 Team
    2010 Scott Scale 29
    1996 Gary Fisher Kaitai

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe $200, if it's perfect, and fits her.

I've seen 2004 Specialized Roubaix's with Ultegra not get a $400 starting bid on eBay.

I would look for a newer bike on ebay or craigslist if she has $400-$500 to spend.

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819 View Post
    Maybe $200, if it's perfect, and fits her.

I've seen 2004 Specialized Roubaix's with Ultegra not get a $400 starting bid on eBay.

I would look for a newer bike on ebay or craigslist if she has $400-$500 to spend.
    Yep, $200 tops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can get a new bike with the same level of components for $400.00 from BD. It will also come with the same level of support...

I would bet that the chain needs to be replaced and wouldn't be surprised to see that it needs a new cassette also. It could also need new cables and housing. Then there is always minor tuning that needs to be done. At the end of the day, even if she gets the bike for $200.00 she should plan on putting another couple of hundred into it.

Just my experience and .02 cents.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just sold a 2000 Specialized Allez last year for $400 with full Tiagra components. I posted it on Craigslist and sold it in less than an hour. $400 doesn't sound like too much, but offering a lower price never hurts.
    Last edited by terbennett; 10-27-2012 at 08:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Just check the condition of the components, but like others have said, you can get something new at bikes direct for the same price.

How much of a window do you have for the budget? Maybe save a bit more and get full tiagra or a combo with 105?

But of you're set on that, I wouldn't do more than 300; you're going to have to buy a flat kit, bag, etc. we can't assume you'll need tuneups, but there are things you're going to have to get outright... And that can add up quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    That's a nice bike. My wife has one. Bought it new in Australia for A$1300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Probably 170- 200 considering it is 9 years behind.