Unrepentant Mountainbiker

Specialized Allez Comp vs. '03 Lemond Arrivee

I know this sounds stupid, but, I have a friend who is looking at these bikes.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/2003,R...0_4338crx.aspx

http://www.roadbikereview.com/2004,R...2_5668crx.aspx

He has ridden both on extended test rides and claims that he cannot tell the difference between the way the two bikes ride. The guy is a MTnbiker crossing over to road like myself, so he is not entirely new to buying a quality bike. He also test road a Lemond Buenos Aires '04, and said he could not feel a difference in the way that that bike felt either. The Buenos Aires was too large of a frame, so that one is out of the mix, or I would have told him to get it if for no other reason than the cool factor of the Carbon/Steel frame.

I am currently riding an Allez Pro frame built up with full Ultegra, and I could really tell a difference when I rode a Lemond Zurich (same frame as Buenos Aires). If it had been the right size, I would have told him to get it. I have not had a chance to ride a Ti Lemond, so could not give him a good opinion on the Arrivee. The shop has it marked down to just $1399 now as it is an '03 model and the '05s will be coming out soon. As far as the Specialized is concerned, they are asking close to the full MSRP of $1680.

Any thoughts on these two bikes you all could offer. I am about to just push him towards the Lemond as it is so severely marked down. The Specialized is at the better bike shop in town though, and would like to see the buisiness go to them. So I am of no help here.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003
    Very subjectively speaking, I would pick the Arrivee. Just better overall craftsmanship and value.

You can always supply business to the better bike shop when your friend upgrades his bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freezin_is_the_reason
    Any thoughts on these two bikes you all could offer. I am about to just push him towards the Lemond as it is so severely marked down. The Specialized is at the better bike shop in town though, and would like to see the buisiness go to them. So I am of no help here.

The price on that Arivee is close to the original wholesale of that bike. It's a great bike and a steal at that price. If it fits him, he should get it. The parts alone (with the current shortage of Ultegra 9 speed stuff) would be worth nearly a thousand alone, retail. That frame is not a super light Ti frame, but it rides nice. It's a straight gauge Reynolds Ti frame and if your friend can handle the yellow paint, it's a sweet bike. It's Ultegra 9 speed with a 105 front derailleur, cassette, BB, and chain. All in all, it's well worth the $1400 asking price. We had one in the shop I work at until a month ago and sold it for $1700... so your friend's price is very good.

What size is your friend looking for, BTW?

Unrepentant Mountainbiker

He is looking at 55-56cm

The Lemond is a 55cm, and the Specialized is a 56cm. This makes sense as I need to drop down one size going from a Specialized to a Lemond as well. Lemond's geometry stretches me out too much if I don't.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!