RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

specialized roubaix disc or giant defy advanced 2 or cannondale synapse disc

I currently have a 2014 tarmac sport sl4. i wanted to sell it and buy one of the bikes listed below. This is just for weekend riding. Not racing.

Looking at the disc versions of specialized roubaix, cannondale synapse and giant defy advanced 2. Not sure which one would be the better option? Looking at the 105 group sets for all.

Also, would carbon or alloy make a real difference for a weekend rider?

Thanks for all the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    good choices both

but so very different than each other. depends what you want, and should really test ride them. The Giant is better value and with nice consistent groupsets usually. The Specialized has a completely new and different approach to shock absorption which has generally been well received by the critics (eg it is Bike Radar's bike of the year).

My wife and I are interested in both of these. She leans towards Spec, I like Giant. Decision which to buy will likely come down to when I closely analyze the geometry and see which suits me best.

IIRC the Giant clears up to mayeb 30mm wide tires and the Roubaix something like 32mm. IIRC the Giant comes in tubeless form as oem. I really like the idea of running tubeless 30mm+ tires in winter, and heck on any rougher paved roads (like in Tucson)