Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson02 View Post
    The torque settings are in the manual on the website in appendix D. Settings for roubaix seat post are 13.6 nm.
    That can't be right. More like 6 nm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I finally eliminated the loud cracking noise from my Roubaix Expert. In my case it turned out to be both the saddle clamp and the seat post clamp making noise, with the seat post clamp being the worst offender. I had correctly torqued both the saddle clamp and seat post clamp but was still having the cracking sound.

The saddle was moving backwards in the clamp during rides so I took it apart and found the powder coating on the saddle rails was being rubbed off. I cleaned all parts thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and lightly sanded the rails to remove all the powder coating where it mates with the clamp. I torqued it to 13.5Nm as recommended. That stopped the saddle movement and much of the noise, so that left the seat post as the remaining culprit.

Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem-img_7853-medium-.jpg Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem-img_7854-medium-.jpg Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem-img_7856-medium-.jpg

I took the seat post out and found some dry film on both the post and in the seat tube. I cleaned that off with rubbing alcohol and then applied some carbon paste to both the seat post and inside the seat tube. After torquing to the recommended setting (6.2Nm) and doing several rides on rough gravel roads, I've not heard a single sound from the bike.

Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem-img_8158-medium-.jpg

Additionally, I was skeptical of how accurate my torque wrench was so I bought the two Specialized torque wrenches. They have handwritten notes of the three tests they do on each wrench so I know they are accurate.

Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem-specialized-torque-wrenches.jpg

My bike was put together without using any carbon paste on the seat post / seat tube interface and correcting that, in addition to removing the powder coating from the seat rails, fixed the problem for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    So basically, just follow the manual?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    @toiletsiphon...lol, you are a one cruel dude (haha)

@chiski......am I seeing things right in your pic? The seat looks as far forward in the rails as it can go...is that right? Have never seen a road bike with a seat slammed that far forward? Do you time-trial on that Roubaix or what?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12