RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017

Angry Specialized Roubaix Pro 2017 Seat Clamp Problem

I purchased a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Pro in November of 2016 and almost immediately experienced a creaking cracking sound coming from the seat post area. I went through 3 seat posts and 2 saddles and the sound persisted. I noticed that the frame had a flaw (hairline crack at the junction of seat tube and top tube), and Specialized replaced the frame on warranty. The new frame is even noisier than the first. I'm thinking this is a design flaw with the seat post clamp? Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It's so bad that it seriously detracts from the ride experience, and I would not expect this from a bike of this caliber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Are you 100% sure it's the seatpost? does it happen when you are out of the saddle? Could it be the saddle rails or the saddle mount bolts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Are you 100% sure it's the seatpost? does it happen when you are out of the saddle? Could it be the saddle rails or the saddle mount bolts?
    It does not make the sound when out of the saddle. Since the sound has been there through two saddles and three seat posts (with different saddle clamp styles), I'm guessing it's the seat post clamp. We did try coating the post with a ton of carbon paste, which helped a little for about six weeks, but the sound gradually came back. The seat post clamp has two bolts, and has to be torqued down exactly the same on both sides. Not sure this design is fully worked out.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavids1 View Post
    We did try coating the post with a ton of carbon paste, which helped a little for about six weeks, but the sound gradually came back. The seat post clamp has two bolts, and has to be torqued down exactly the same on both sides. Not sure this design is fully worked out.
    Yeah, seems like there are some issue there design wise.

How do you tighten the bolts? Did you try a torque wrench?

I would suggest cleaning and carbon paste again, and try to tighten the bolts at the same time. Use two wrenches to get them close to torque, then use a torque wrench for the last 1/8 turn or so to balance them.

Absent that, try 1/8 turn each, alternating. Close to the same torque should be easy to get to.

Good luck.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Update: ample coating of carbon paste and careful tightening of bolts has only helped quiet the bike for 1 - 2 rides. I sent an email to Specialized's "RiderCare" support site asking for help, but no response yet. I'd be curious to hear from any other riders of this new Roubaix model. I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this issue, especially since the exact same problem has occurred on two different frame sets. In the mean time, I'm kicking my self a little for buying the first year of a new model, that's a lesson I learned with cars a long time ago. BTW, when it's quiet, it's a real joy to ride, but the constant noise completely distracts from the experience.