RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

Specialized Sequoia Elite v. Trek 1500 WSD?

Hi,

I'm a beginner at road biking and am looking into purchasing a new bike with the intent of participating in a 150 and additional (recreational) racing in the future.

I'm 5'3" at 112lbs and am considering a new Trek 1500 WSD. However, I'm considering buying a barely used 2005 model Specialized Sequoia Elite from a g/f of mine. It's a 51cm frame high and 52.5 cm across. I'm getting an excellent deal on the Sequoia (along with some new and gently used gear). I took it for a spin, and it feels ok, but I keep reading that the Sequoia is a good "comfort bike".

My question is: would this bike, or either of these bikes for that matter, take me well into some good long-distance recreational riding in addition to some racing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Both bikes are definitely fine for recreational riding, in fact there are people on both of these in the group I'm training for a century ride with.

What sizes have you looked at in the Trek? My wife is also 5'3", and she rides a 47 WSD. The top tube length on the Sequoia (the small size I think?) you're looking at is about the same as on a 54 WSD Trek, but the standover is more like the 47 WSD. I leave it to the pros as to what exactly that'll mean for your riding position, but my newbie guess is that it'll be more stretched out due to the longer top tube.

jeff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjp
    Both bikes are definitely fine for recreational riding, in fact there are people on both of these in the group I'm training for a century ride with.

What sizes have you looked at in the Trek? My wife is also 5'3", and she rides a 47 WSD. The top tube length on the Sequoia (the small size I think?) you're looking at is about the same as on a 54 WSD Trek, but the standover is more like the 47 WSD. I leave it to the pros as to what exactly that'll mean for your riding position, but my newbie guess is that it'll be more stretched out due to the longer top tube.

jeff
    Yes, the Sequoia I'm looking at is a size S.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    The Sequoia is designed more for comfort than for racing -- mainly meaning a more upright riding position. That doesn't mean you can't go fast and/or race on it, but it might not be ideal if you think racing will become a priority. Also, a 51 x 52.5 frame sounds kind of big for someone 5'3". That's just a guess though, maybe it would fit you. Probably best to visit some shops, try a few different bikes and different sizes to get a feeling for what's going to work for you. The Sequoia might turn out to be perfect, but don't get lured into buying a bike that doesn't fit just because you can get a good price. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I agree that the sequoia is a great bike, but like others am concerned about the fit. Generally, women have shorter torso's than men of the same height. I know for my wife who is 5'4" I ended up putting her on a 52.5 toptube frame in order to eliminate toe overlap and get a slightly taller headtube. The compromise was that I had to run an 80mm stem to get the reach comfortable. You may be more comfortable stretched out a bit.

Given it is a friend and the bike is already used, I would suggest asking if you can try it for a few rides. There is nothing like a couple of 1 hour rides to get a good idea if the bike is comfortable for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmc
    I agree that the sequoia is a great bike, but like others am concerned about the fit. Generally, women have shorter torso's than men of the same height. I know for my wife who is 5'4" I ended up putting her on a 52.5 toptube frame in order to eliminate toe overlap and get a slightly taller headtube. The compromise was that I had to run an 80mm stem to get the reach comfortable. You may be more comfortable stretched out a bit.

Given it is a friend and the bike is already used, I would suggest asking if you can try it for a few rides. There is nothing like a couple of 1 hour rides to get a good idea if the bike is comfortable for you.

Yeah, I've got it at the house right now, which is cool. Just looking for some insight from anyone who knows the bikes

Thanks for your input. Anybody have any info on the Trek 1500 or 1500 WSD?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    The Trek looks like a nice bike for the $$. As for the WSD version, it might be for you or it might not. The design, as I understand it, is based on the idea that, on average, women are proportionally longer in the legs and shorter in the torso and arms compared with men. They also include a saddle designed for women, and I think narrower handlebars and shorter-reach brake levers. The design works for a lot of women, but everyone is proportioned differently so some women find they fit better on a standard bike. Try one of each if possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Okay, I went and checked the specifications on both bikes. The components levels are similar enough on both bikes that I would purchase one over the other based on compenents. The big difference between the two bikes is the geometry of the frames. The Specialized has a shallower head angle and longer chainstays, as well as a taller headtube than the Trek. So what does this mean in english? It means the specialized will not be as quick in the steering and be more stable feeling than the Trek. It also means that the bars will be slightly higher on the specialized (subject to spacers and stem swaps). Think the difference between a porsche and a Mercedes. Both drive nicely but the porsche is sportier.

The specialized is by no means a "comfort bike." What it is, is a roadbike designed to be more comfortable. Not all riders can handle or want razor sharp handling with bars that drop 3" from the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pokechop77
    Hi,

I'm a beginner at road biking and am looking into purchasing a new bike with the intent of participating in a 150 and additional (recreational) racing in the future.

I'm 5'3" at 112lbs and am considering a new Trek 1500 WSD. However, I'm considering buying a barely used 2005 model Specialized Sequoia Elite from a g/f of mine. It's a 51cm frame high and 52.5 cm across. I'm getting an excellent deal on the Sequoia (along with some new and gently used gear). I took it for a spin, and it feels ok, but I keep reading that the Sequoia is a good "comfort bike".

My question is: would this bike, or either of these bikes for that matter, take me well into some good long-distance recreational riding in addition to some racing?

Ok, guys, thanks for all of your helpful advice. I went ahead and went to a couple of LBS' and found that the Sequoia size Small is actually the right size for me. However, I did try out a few other bikes - specifically the Specialized Dolce and the Giant OCR1 in an XS frame. Let me tell ya guys, I LOVED the way these bikes rode so much better than the Sequoia. What is even more fateful is that the girl who was selling the Sequoia has decided to keep it.

I'm really leaning towards the OCR1 - I really enjoyed the ride. Anybody have any opinions on this bike??

banned
    Oct 2003

smooth out your ride

you are small and light; all the bikes you are taking about are aluminum and you mention you want to take longer rides

everything adds up to steel; but you are only looking at aluminum

if you want a smooth comfortable ride; you should consider steel
    aluminum is fast and light; but the ride on the bikes you mention is very harsh
    and you will end up very beat up after long rides

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by collectorvelo
    you are small and light; all the bikes you are taking about are aluminum and you mention you want to take longer rides

everything adds up to steel; but you are only looking at aluminum

if you want a smooth comfortable ride; you should consider steel
    aluminum is fast and light; but the ride on the bikes you mention is very harsh
    and you will end up very beat up after long rides
    Newbie question #1: What about aluminum bikes make the ride harsh?
    #2: What are some good bikes in the steel category?

banned
    Oct 2003

harsh ride on aluminum

the design of aluminum bikes uses very large tubes - since aluminum is weaker than steel or Ti -- so builders increase tube size -- these tubes donot flex and thus the ride is harsh and bumpy

lots of nice steel bikes from specialized, bianchi, mercier, jamis, lemond - plus many custom builders using steel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by collectorvelo
    the design of aluminum bikes uses very large tubes - since aluminum is weaker than steel or Ti -- so builders increase tube size -- these tubes donot flex and thus the ride is harsh and bumpy

lots of nice steel bikes from specialized, bianchi, mercier, jamis, lemond - plus many custom builders using steel

Where do carbon frames fit in this picture? What are the advantages/disadvanted of buying a carbon frame?