RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Specialized Tarmac SL3 vs. Tarmac SL3 Pro

I have an opportunity to get a deal from my local bike shop.

1. 2010 Specialized Tarmac SL3 with full Dura Ace 7900, Fizik Arione, Easton 90 Sl bar. I can get it for 5,000 without wheels.

2. 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Pro with the Sram Red package. It would be the stock set up from Specialized with the TPR brakes etc. I can get it for 4,200.

I am not worried about the wheels as I have a set of Ksyrium Sl's and Zipp 808's already.

I would really like the Sram Red group with the frame stiffness of the SL3, but I can't find one locally. My question to the forum is to see if anybody knows if the difference in stiffness between the two frames is significant or not? Is the price worth the difference?

Your feedback is appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I believe the frames are identical with both using the 10r carbon. I had a chance to test the 2011 SL3 with the same setup over a three day period and walked away crazy impressed with the bike. The only thing I would change are those TRP brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wai2fast
    I believe the frames are identical with both using the 10r carbon. I had a chance to test the 2011 SL3 with the same setup over a three day period and walked away crazy impressed with the bike. The only thing I would change are those TRP brakes.
    Don't know about stiffness but SL3 is 11R and Pro is 10R (from Specialized website)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    The Pro and Elite trim uses 10R. Is the 2010 you're looking at an S-Works?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Both bikes have the same geometry and have the same carbon sections. The difference is one is 10r and the other is 11r. The difference between those two is the lay up process, which I have hear made it 18% stiffer (not sure how true that figure is). Also not sure how significant that would be felt in real work situations.

Also, the Tpr brakes would be the first to go and I would upgrade to red brakes.

Yes, the 2010 SL3 is S-works.

Cycling induced anoesis
    You might want to pose this question on the Specialized (manufacturers) forum. Also, there have recently been two similar threads started there.

You may already know this, but there are three versions of the 2010 S-Works SL3. One was a module with OSBB (BB30), one with team geo (shorter HT) and the 'standard' model. Considering this bike is built up with DA7900, I'd doubt it was originally a module, but something to be aware of.

FWIW the 2011 Pro is claimed to be lighter and stiffer than its 2010 counterpart. The 2011 S-Works is a carry over, theoretically minimizing any differences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    You might want to pose this question on the Specialized (manufacturers) forum. Also, there have recently been two similar threads started there.

You may already know this, but there are three versions of the 2010 S-Works SL3. One was a module with OSBB (BB30), one with team geo (shorter HT) and the 'standard' model. Considering this bike is built up with DA7900, I'd doubt it was originally a module, but something to be aware of.

FWIW the 2011 Pro is claimed to be lighter and stiffer than its 2010 counterpart. The 2011 S-Works is a carry over, theoretically minimizing any differences.

Thanks for the info. The 2010 is has is not team geo and is the standard bottom, not the osbb.