RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Specialized Transition Expert vs. Blue Triad--help deciding

Hey guys,

I can get a really really sweet deal on either of these bikes, and I'm trying to decide which TT bike to get. This bike will of course only be used for triathlons and I'll keep my nice road bike for group riding and practice.

I'm looking at the Specialized Transition Expert--which is an all ultegra/dura ace build and the new Blue Triad--which due to the cost, will also have to be a ultegra build. I go back and forth and am having a tough time deciding between them. Any advice? I don't think i'll ever have an opportunity again to purchase a great bike at a l great price like this...if I go with the Triad--should I come up with the extra $$ for the Dura Ace or Red build w/ the Zips for another $1500? I don't think it'll improve my race times all that much right now, but after this bike, I won't be buying another one for a long long time...

Please post back with your thoughts and advice in choosing between these bikes/builds.

Thanks,

Dirty Bird

Links to bikes:

http://www.rideblue.com/triad.php

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...34&language=US
    Last edited by Dirty Bird; 10-04-2008 at 09:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are two things that stick out about my Transition Comp. One is it's stem. It's angle is adjustable from +/-8 to +/-16 degrees via the twist of a shim between the steerer tube and the stem. That will allow you to tweak your position without having to buy a new stem. The other thing has more to do with the nature of carbon fiber parts than with the bike itself. The aerobars are Profile Design's T2+Cobra. They're nice bars, but if you happen to hit a pretty bad road imperfection while on the aerobars, the pads (actually the attached J-clamp) will slip and cut into the bar's clear-coat or beyond. This slipping can be very annoying during a race. The clear-coat damage can be fixed (sand, clear-coat, repeat), but it'll keep your bike out of commission for a while. Though it's made me a more aware rider, with better handling. I almost forgot. It is possible that the Transition's frame's main triangle might be too small for some bike racks, but then again mine is size XS (49). Other than that it's a really nice bike.