RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Steel Gravel / Touring Bike Options?

Wondering if there are any good Steel bikes with a geometry similar to the Trek Domane?

I love the way steel rides and looking for a good bike with at least 105 groupset. I will run 32mm tires and disk brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Niner RLT9 can be had in a steel frame and is pretty close geometry to a Domane. I have both (RLT9 in an aluminum frame) and they are set up to fit the same. The RLT9 is more a gravel bike than touring, but depends on what you call touring I suppose. If you want to hang a bunch of bags on it for a cross country trip probably not a good choice.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out the Jamis Renegade Exploit:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeexploit.html

Awesome bike! Stack and reach are similar proportionally, though the Jamis size 56 is just a tad larger than the Trek size 56.

My advice would be to test ride some bikes and find what feels right before you buy rather than an internet crap shoot purchase.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do you mean geometry as it applies to fit only? If you also mean as it applies to handling I'd strongly suggest re-evaluating if you really want road race bike handling for gravel and touring.

Anyway, this might be the type of thing you're looking for: https://www.honeybikes.com/cyclocross-utility/

You'd want to research if you could set it up the way you want for touring though. I have one and it's great for gravel and I see there are rack mounts but I'd never used them.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    Wondering if there are any good Steel bikes with a geometry similar to the Trek Domane?

I love the way steel rides and looking for a good bike with at least 105 groupset. I will run 32mm tires and disk brakes.

The Trek Domane is not a touring bike geometry. It has slacker angles up front...but has a short rear center and short(er) wheelbase. The rear center in particular is a problem because it can lead to heel-strike on panniers/racks.

The Niner RLT9 is a decent compromise....Jamis has a few models....Rodeo Labs Flaanimal might fit the bill---but the rear end placement of the rack eyelets really screws up mounting them low and aft.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The Trek Domane is not a touring bike geometry. It has slacker angles up front...but has a short rear center and short(er) wheelbase. The rear center in particular is a problem because it can lead to heel-strike on panniers/racks.
    This is a very good point. For gravel riding, you would generally want a longer wheelbase which will smooth out rough terrain better and be more stable. Road bikes generally have a shorter wheelbase for quick response - not what you would want for going off-road.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not exactly like the Domane geometry, but a couple of nice options are the:

1) Specialized Sequoia

2) Norco Search XR Steel

3) Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    A few steel bikes with similar front end geo at certain sizes.
    Build options; you'd have to check:-
    1. Volagi Viaje
    2. Black Mountain Cycles Road Plus (they do a 105 build/s)
    3. Twin Six Standard Rando
    4. Gunnar Grand Disk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    4. Gunnar Grand Disk.
    Don't know about that particular frame but very impressed with the value of Gunnar's offerings. I'm not an expert on tubing and welding, that's for sure, but from what I gather they put out A level quality at B level prices.