RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

strong carbon frames

I need help selecting the strongest carbon frame on the market. I am breaking 2 frames every year. 1 ti and 1 aluminum. I want to try carbon but I need something that will not break. I am 6'2" and 215lbs. and ride 5K per year.

Air Force
    get a custom steel frame. i got a waterford over the summer and love it. the best thing is most custom frames come with a great warranty. the bike will also fit like a glove. i have seen way to many broken frame, including one aluminum one that i broke. This way if you break a steel frame it can be fixed. check them out before droping money on some thing that feels like plastic.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by ruotsy
    I need help selecting the strongest carbon frame on the market. I am breaking 2 frames every year. 1 ti and 1 aluminum. I want to try carbon but I need something that will not break. I am 6'2" and 215lbs. and ride 5K per year.
    How are you breaking frames? As cyclists go you are a bit on the large side, but not out of reason. There's no reason any reasonable frame should break under you, unless you are either buying stupid-light stuff or acting like they're mountain bikes and bashing them.

I'd personally not go near carbon, but instead aim towards a quality Ti in your situation. But that's me. For carbon, look at a custom builder like Seven, Serotta, Calfee, or Parlee (no particular order.) You ask for overbuilt, you get overbuilt. With a rack bike, you are more likely to get a bias towards either weight or ride, neither of which will be in your interests.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    get a Cervelo. Light, stiff, comfortable and a great price. if anything happens they will get you a new frame for free....can't beat that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Ti now and a Cervelo Soloist (alum) and they each break every year. I just ride hard on the road and this is getting old sending bikes in on a very steady basis. Both Dean and Cervelo have been great with warranty but that is not the point

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Cervélo--I agree is a great choice

I too, at 215 pounds (I was 230) have enjoyed my vintage Cervélo Prodigy steel frame. I have nearly 12,000 miles on it and I have never had a better riding bike. I am lured by reviews towards the carbon models like the Cervélo Carbon Soloist or R3. I am assured by the life-time warranty. I am sure there are other great choices out there too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I have a Ti now and a Cervelo Soloist (alum) and they each break every year. I just ride hard on the road and this is getting old sending bikes in on a very steady basis. Both Dean and Cervelo have been great with warranty but that is not the point
    where are they breaking? Something seems amiss with your track record...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Trek Madone or Specialized Roubaix

I know and see lots of heavy riders on those bikes.

banned
    There is something really wrong with you if you break frames like that. If you break metal frames, a carbon frame might be not safe choice for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by linus
    There is something really wrong with you if you break frames like that. If you break metal frames, a carbon frame might be not safe choice for you.
    I agree there is something not right about his frames. I put 15k miles a year on a Dean ti frame as a Cat2 racer for 3 years without breaking it.

Dr. Flats a lot

wierd

I agree with the common voice out there that something is freaky about breaking frames at that rate. I'm not really buying that these were overt frame failures. Whatever, Don't matter.If one were to get a carbon frame in your situation it probably would not be a monocoque but rather a lugged version. Colnago or Time are some of the more obvious frames using lugs. But carbon is not for you. Figure out why the frames are breaking and talk to a custom builder and have the right bike built for you out of the right materials.They will most likely tell you steel or carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member

Guru

Guru makes specifically oversize carbon frames for heavier riders which they recommend for riders between 220 and 275 pounds: www.guru.com

But, I do agree with some of the other posts. It does seems odd to break so many frames. 215 is big, but not so big that one would expect so many failures. With that history I would be worried about a carbon bike as well.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

How are your wheelsets holding up?

Just curious, it would seem that you would be having problems with your wheelsets as well.
    Have you had any major accidents?
    Were the frames new? (in that case they should have been under warranty)
    Are you actually riding these bikes on the road? (no dirt jumping)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Try out the system six cannondale not the smoothest out there but man that bike sure feels solid underneath you. Also I'm 203lbs. And powerful as well. Never broke any frames though. Lifetime warranty as well.
    It was good enough for Eddy

Soft
    I've so got Carl Strong frame desire on the brain that when I saw thte title of this thread, I thought, "No...Carl doesn't do carbon!"

Go steel. It's very unlikely to break twice a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whateveronfire
    I've so got Carl Strong frame desire on the brain that when I saw thte title of this thread, I thought, "No...Carl doesn't do carbon!"

Go steel. It's very unlikely to break twice a year.
    lol - I thought the same thing regarding Carl and the thread title

per the OP - I'm 225lbs and have 6mo and ~4k miles on a '07 specialized roubaix expert; zero issues with the frame, but I've never broken a frame on the road either.

Cpark
    Serotta Legend Ti Custom with bigger tube (which I got) would be my recommendation.
    If you really want to try Carbon, I'd try Cervelo or Time VXR (not VXRS - Time rep told me VXR is stiffer) since they come with LifeTime Warranty. I know a guy who weighs 230 pounds and he has ridden a Time VXR for last 3 years without breaking....

banned
    The best option for you is to fix the way you're riding. Something fishy is going on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    You have posted this in two different forums and I'm still not buying it. Lets see some pictures. Are you using them off road or just throwing them off cliffs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

frames

No major crashes. Wheels do not hold up well, but the Kysiriums have been quite good. I have had 1 crack where the spoke attackes to the rim. I have had to re spoke both wheels already. But they are by far the best I have found. I ride with a group here in NH. Just normal riding. I just got back from a half century at 22 mph so you can see we are riding the roads for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    You could be riding the roads. But not unweighting the bike over rough stuff. Riding over pot holes etc.

I can ride my mtb on the road and find plenty of stuff to have fun...

If your wheels are being trashed which you say they are, than its more your riding than anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The OP still hasn't explained how his frames have broken and where - something just doesn't smell right here.

Come on rrusty, where are you cracking the frame? chain-stay, seat-stay - what gives.

And no, would not recommend a carbon frame. Go with steel, custom build and tell the frame builder exactly where you keep cracking up frames.

It only hurts if you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Something doesn't sound right

I am 6'3", 215 pounds, pretty strong recreational rider, have averaged 19.5 - 20.5 mph on variety of rides in last 2 years, since been riding year round, at 48 riding faster/stronger than ever. Have a 10 year old Eisentraut steel frame, about 17,500 miles, preceeded that with a 1990 Trek 2300 carbon main tubes, rest aluminum frame, also about 17,500 miles. Just purchased this year a 2006 Litespeed Tuscany, 2500 miles on it so far this year. 2006 Ksyrium SL3 wheels on the Eisentraut, about 5000 miles, no problems. Ksyrium ES wheels on the Tuscany, no problems there either. Never broke any frame.

I have the same question for the OP, where are the frames breaking ?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DBtheCyclist
    I have the same question for the OP, where are the frames breaking ?
    The OP cross-posted. In post #3 of this thread Carbon Frame he says where he broke his frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I know it sounds unreal that I brake the frames and the wheelsets, but what can I say? None of my riding partners have the problems I have either. I guess I will try a Cervelo R3, and if that does not work go back to steel or custom Stainless steel. I will also try loosing some weight as well as smoothing out my riding style. One more note: I even sheared a pedal shaft right off on a hill. This of coarse caused a crash. These were fairly new Look pedals. So if anyone knows of a company looking for a tester, please let me know.