dwl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

sub 300 gram carbon fork

Ok, I'm starting an aluminum based weight weenie build(sub 14 lbs that is durable and doesn't look like Dr. frankenstein built it) with a Pro-Lite Bella frame(1165 grams, aluminum with black carbon seatstays(3k weave), white frame with top of top tube being black). Seatpost and Saddle will have 3k weave to match seatstays. Anyway, I'm looking for a sub 300 gram(after being cut down) 1 1/8" fork 45 rake with a 3k weave with minimal graphics. Deda RS carbon fork would be perfect if they had it in 1 1/8", but it is tapered(The fork looks so good it's tempting to build a bike around the fork), Ritchey WCS carbon(325 grams) as of right now is my preference, but the skin is unidirectional(Same with Enve 1.0 but more expensive per gram). Shimano Pro carbon stearer is close to what I need at 380 grams per website. Also listed as 350 grams at some online bike stores. Any other ideas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I was a weight weenie I definitely wouldn't have purchased a white frame. I guess they need to apply an extra coat or two of white paint, thus adding priceless grams...

Get me to In&Out
    Check out the Look HSC 5 fork. The one I took off my 585 was 256g. It is an amazing fork too.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    The only fork I would consider at that weight is the Enve. I have one on one of my regular rides, and it's well worth it.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    The Look HSC 5 fork can have some issues in non-Look frames due to the fact it doesn't use a crown race.

Enve is always quality... as is any high end fork from Easton, Ritchey...

They all will usually be ~300g.

Going for a budget Weight Weenie build is kinda of weird starting with something that's 1.1 kilo though.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

dwl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    The Look HSC 5 fork can have some issues in non-Look frames due to the fact it doesn't use a crown race.

Enve is always quality... as is any high end fork from Easton, Ritchey...

They all will usually be ~300g.

Going for a budget Weight Weenie build is kinda of weird starting with something that's 1.1 kilo though.

Yeah, I know. The only thing that is going to be budget is the frame. I'm looking at under 14 lbs. after completion. This project is kind of a test to see if I want to go this light on a high end frame in the future. Even my current road bike is at well over 17 lbs. and it has some issues with strong cross winds. Well, unless something better comes along, it looks like I'm leaning toward the Ritchey WCS UD Carbon Road Fork. I saw one at $340(free shipping) plus I already bought the Ritchey WCS 1/8" headset.
    Last edited by dwl; 05-26-2013 at 02:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think the crosswind effect is more related to your wheels? Also if your 17lb bike has problems wouldnt a lighter bike be even more problematic in the wind?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyc38 View Post
    I think the crosswind effect is more related to your wheels? Also if your 17lb bike has problems wouldnt a lighter bike be even more problematic in the wind?
    In my experience cross wind issues is entirely related to wheels, and often just the spokes. My Aksium wheels with fairly broad flat spokes, but shallow rims, are horrible in cross winds. My 30mm Reynolds Alta Race with normal round J spokes are wonderful in cross winds.

As for bike weight - my experience is that it makes no difference. My samples are a ~23-24 lb commuter vs a 16 lb CF bike. No difference that I can attribute to the bikes. This might not be true in general, but it is for me so far.