Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Suggestions for a new bike= cyclocross+touring

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new bike to, hopefully, satisfy my bike lust

I already have 2 good road bikes, one of which is "race-able". Now I'm looking for a combo bike for off-road riding, which is close to what cyclocross is, and touring.

I don't know what the finer differences are between road bike geometry and cyclocross geometry, except that the latter has more tire clearance and uses cantilever style brakes.

But I also want to be able to mount racks and use fatter tires for touring and commuting.

Is this doable? Is it weird? Are there bikes out there that already have this combo, or should I resort to custom build?

Thanks!

Bicycle Radical
    Mar 2012
    I have a Bianchi Volpe which has the braze ons for racks and panniers. It can fit fairly wide tires as well. I run the stock 32C tires on it but intend to switch to 28 when I wear them out.

The Surly Cross Check can also fit fairly wide tires as indicated by the Fatties Fit Fine decals on the forks.

Both are good bikes and may fit the bill for you. I've spent a fair number of hours on my Volpe and love it.
    Participatory democracy demands low-energy technology, and free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.

Ivan Illich

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    It's doable. Most cross bikes have the braze ons for racks. What you give up when compared to a bike designed for self contained touring is a bit of chain stay lenght, the ability to mount 35's and fenders. The bottom bracket height will be slighly higher with a cross bike.

One way to make a bike perfect for both is to use a trailer for self contained touring. Then the compromises will not make any difference

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Gunnar Crosshairs with Schwalbe Duremes...perfect.

Cyclist
    What's the budget?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My Cross Check in commuter form. It'll easily take 35C studded tires, which I'll be putting on in a few months for the winter commute.

I have many bikes, but this is probably my favorite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I've got a frameset on order for exactly that. It's a custom steel (spirit tubing) with mounts for fenders, racks, cantilever brakes, and enough clearance for cross tires. Should be a sweet bike. I'll post pictures when it's done in another couple of weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I have a Bianchi Volpe which has the braze ons for racks and panniers. It can fit fairly wide tires as well. I run the stock 32C tires on it but intend to switch to 28 when I wear them out.

The Surly Cross Check can also fit fairly wide tires as indicated by the Fatties Fit Fine decals on the forks.

Both are good bikes and may fit the bill for you. I've spent a fair number of hours on my Volpe and love it.
    The Bianchi Volpe looks good. How much does it weigh?

How's the ride quality? Acceleration, vibration damping, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    It's doable. Most cross bikes have the braze ons for racks. What you give up when compared to a bike designed for self contained touring is a bit of chain stay lenght, the ability to mount 35's and fenders. The bottom bracket height will be slighly higher with a cross bike.

One way to make a bike perfect for both is to use a trailer for self contained touring. Then the compromises will not make any difference
    Are 35's really needed? Is there a big difference between 35 and 32?

Another question is do I get a cross bike and then modify it to a touring bike as needed, or the other way around?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRider View Post
    Nice!

So the cross bike actually has a more aggressive riding position? Have you ever used the cross bike for light touring, or maybe grocery shopping, something like that? What's the maximum tire width it can take?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    What's the budget?
    As low as possible

Let's say.. not more than $2000 assembled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought this bike from Competitive Cyclist for $2k.
    2013 Wilier Cross Carbon/SRAM Force/Rival Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29.

2008 Look 585 - Great Bike!

2010 Lynskey R230 - Comfortable!

2012 Wilier Cross Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    My Cross Check in commuter form. It'll easily take 35C studded tires, which I'll be putting on in a few months for the winter commute.

I have many bikes, but this is probably my favorite.

Looks good! Is this the default build, or did you upgrade/change anything? What wheels are those?

What's the weight of the bike? How's the rust resistance of 4130 chromoly? Ride quality in terms of damping, and power transfer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    I've got a frameset on order for exactly that. It's a custom steel (spirit tubing) with mounts for fenders, racks, cantilever brakes, and enough clearance for cross tires. Should be a sweet bike. I'll post pictures when it's done in another couple of weeks.
    Cool! I've looked through many custom steel and stainless steel frame builders (A-Train, Anderson, Firefly, etc.) but they're kinda expensive. I already broke my bank account paying for a custom Ti bike, so I don't really want to spend too much.

Is yours stainless or plain steel? What's spirit tubing? What's the price? I'd love to look at pics when you have them!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    Nice racey cross ride! I'm not sure it hits the touring needs of the OP, though.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will be using this bike for commute and ride in bad weather condition. The ride is quite comfortable, consider the tire pressure is only 60 psi.

I can install seatpost rack mount and carry a small bag if I want to. The bike is got an aluminum seatpost so it can carry quite a bit of load.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29.

2008 Look 585 - Great Bike!

2010 Lynskey R230 - Comfortable!

2012 Wilier Cross Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    The geometry of your gorgeous Wilier is even mentioned to be closer to a road racer than a standard cross bike in its description on cc.com. Generally touring bikes are bit less twitchy, and a bit more up right in the rider's position. They definitely usually include rack mount and fender mount points, as well as the ability to support heavier loads in general. Comfort is important, but touring ability is much more than the bike's ability to absorb road shocks, etc.

As for running a rack off the seatpost, they generally don't claim to carry more than 20 lbs, and I would hesitate to add 20 lbs of load on the back of a seatpost mounted in a carbon seat tube. It is not designed to support loads behind the saddle.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Depends on the kind of touring you will do, if you want to do some light touring, you could get away with a cross bike, fitted with a rear rack. Even if the bike doesn't have rack mounts, you can get rear racks the use the skewer mounts and you can buy a seat post collar. I know OMM makes skewer rear rack mounts and I believe Blackburn has a model as well.

If you will do heavy touring, the bike may not be as maneuverable as cross bikes. They maybe heavier and longer, and will usually have a triple in the front, which will help you climb with a heavy load.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I've done this with a Redline Conquest disc. Almost full fender/rack mounts, had to get a front skewer mounted rack that clips onto standard road brake mounts. The compact cross crank (46/34) and wide range rear cassette helps a lot during touring, but i swap a smaller range onto it for racier stuff.

Toss on some larger tires (28c gatorskin) and get things set up for a more upright, comfortable ride compared to racing position.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRider View Post
    The search is over. May I present the winner.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by balatoe View Post
    Great looking bike!

I would have to agree with Champamoore, though. I'm kind of doubtful of the load bearing capabilities of the bike. What happens if there's a lumpy bump on the road and I have to go over it with all the load... And also the geometry looks too aggressive for long distances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ijuf View Post
    Great looking bike!

I would have to agree with Champamoore, though. I'm kind of doubtful of the load bearing capabilities of the bike. What happens if there's a lumpy bump on the road and I have to go over it with all the load... And also the geometry looks too aggressive for long distances.
    Geometry too aggressive? Wouldn't that be an issue for rider comfort? If he's comfortable on that bike for several hours, what's the problem? Some of us prefer more drop, others less. It's a personal preference issue.

Also, CF is quite strong. There's no issue with load bearing.

Maybe that frameset isn't for you, but that doesn't mean it won't be perfect for someone else.

Sorry to jump on you for this, but so much of bicycles is personal and fit related. You need to make sure you get the one that's right for you, not for someone else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    How about the new Salsa Vaya? Been thinking about this one...
    Feedbacks please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ijuf View Post
    Looks good! Is this the default build, or did you upgrade/change anything? What wheels are those?

What's the weight of the bike? How's the rust resistance of 4130 chromoly? Ride quality in terms of damping, and power transfer?
    Default build, though I've dropped the stem since that photo. Wheels in the photo are old cheap Alex rims from an old bike - were just on there temporarily. The stock cheap wheels have been pretty durable and i have 28c slicks on right now.

Weight as shown and with 28c tires is 27lb but it rolls smooth and fast. Ride quality is simply wonderful, but the fatter tires and lower pressure, compared to my road bikes, probably play a big role in that. Can't comment on rust resistance yet; coming up on my first winter with no car, so we'll see!

Haven't had the bike on dirt, but look forward to the opportunity. Hoping to put together a gravel tour with some friends soon, and this bike should be perfect for it.

Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r3xnvb View Post
    How about the new Salsa Vaya? Been thinking about this one...
    Feedbacks please.
    Salsa Vaya? Pure touring and exploration capability... but it would suck as a cross bike.

OP: I've been searching for exactly the same kind of bike as you are looking for, almost got myself a Surly Cross-Check, but got offered a deal instead that I could not refuse.

2012 Brodie Romax; I'm going to mount a rear rack and fenders as well as 28c tires (I'd go with 32 but want to use the bike as a bad weather trainer as well). Bike's still in the shop though, picking it up soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast