RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Suggestions for replacement of TCR Composite 1?

My 2005 Giant has been a great ride, but it's getting a bit flexy and I'm thinking of getting a new bike. Price in the 2500-4000 range.

I like to push the pace, climb, and try to win the occasional sprint with friends -- but I'm not looking to race or for an aggressive geometry. Something carbon fiber that would be comfortable on a metric century, and has secure handling on the mountains descents.

Any suggestions of bikes I should test?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a 2006 Composite. Someone here once mentioned that this era of TCR's were tested to be pretty flexy after long use.

As far as a replacement goes, depends if you liked that compact sizing. Nothing wrong with looking at a current TCR, maybe even the most ideal choice as it could be borderline identical in terms of geometry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Look at the Pinarello Rokh, it is exactly what you are looking for. Sram model is $3600, Shimano is $4100, but if you can find a dealer with a 2012 still in stock you may be able to make a nice deal. I tested almost all of the majors in this price range and "to me" the Rokh outshined the rest. I also liked the Cervelo a lot. I do not remember the model though. Keep us updated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Tcr advanced sl3. What a great frame and bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The Composite line are known to be poor performers up to as recent as 2010 (i think).

The Advanced is a great bike, especially when you consider the price point, but I'm sure you won't want another Giant after several years on one. Consider other brands like Cannondale, or Cervelo. Their bikes have consistently performed well through the years.
    Roadie since Dec. 2000

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4

I am using the S-Works Venge which reminds me of my old TCR Composite (short chainstays, quick steering) but based on your criteria the Tarmac wll be a better fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek Domane 5.2 - nothing I have road this year fits your bill better. This bike is so amazingly comfortable and predictable it's almost scary....yet it's also tight where it need to be for good power transfer and snappy steering.

Quote Originally Posted by twalkman View Post
    but I'm not looking to race or for an aggressive geometry. Something carbon fiber that would be comfortable on a metric century, and has secure handling on the mountains descents
    Last edited by RyleyinSTL; 08-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Leopold View Post
    Look at the Pinarello Rokh, it is exactly what you are looking for. Sram model is $3600, Shimano is $4100, but if you can find a dealer with a 2012 still in stock you may be able to make a nice deal. I tested almost all of the majors in this price range and "to me" the Rokh outshined the rest. I also liked the Cervelo a lot. I do not remember the model though. Keep us updated!
    If he wants a replacement for a TCR, I'd suggest the Pinarello FP Quattro over the ROKH. The ROKH is a different kind of bike, designed more for comfort. It has a much taller stack number than the TCR, which has shortish head tubes. The Quattro comes in the exact same builds and is the same price as the ROKH, but it's a little more aggressive and stiffer with regards to geometry - though I'd still consider most Pinarellos to be more conservative with their stack height. Pinarello likes to stretch you out and tends to use longer stems.

It's hard to beat the TCR Advanced if you want a good Ultegra bike with a nice carbon frame. They come in at about $3000. No one else really can hit that price point with full Ultegra and an upgraded carbon frame. I think the TCR SL with Ultegra topped out at $4000.

Last year's Scott Foil 20 has similar geometry to the TCR, is stiff, aero, looks really sharp, VERY light, and was a decent value at around $3350 with Ultegra. Most of Scott's stock is already sold out for this year, however.

BMC Road Racer is another good all-rounder in that same category. I think it topped out at about $3600 with Ultegra.