RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

synapse carbon 4, cervello rs or specialized roubaix comp compactubiax

I started just thinking about the best 2-3k bike and my research has lead me to these three. I have read all I can find on them. I was leaning towards cannondale and i will take a quick spin on a supersix/caad but i am not going to race ,mostly 20-100miles workouts. I think I will like the more comfy/upright position of the three above and I am going to test ride next week.
    I have never had a road bike - is there anything I should try on the test ride? I have read about people not being happy with the stock wheels/tires, do any of my choices have good or bad wheels stock?
    any new info on the bikes above? most of what I found was a little older info. I know the synapse was just redone for 2012 and I haven't seen much new at all on the cervello.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I recently went through almost the same scenario. I opted to pay extra for the Roubaix SL3 and haven't looked back. If synapse is new I Cant help you there...however, the 2011 is a good ride...the fit was better on Roubaix and ride slightly smoother. A lot of people talked up the RS before I tested it...so expectations were high...bike was a nice ride...little more responsive handling then synapse and Roubaix comp...not as smooth of ride...didn't think it was spec'd out as nice as other bikes but priced higher. Unless you are a heavier rider all three bikes will be stiff enough. To be honest once I got on the SL3 it was over...bike does everything well and climbs great. If you want a comfortable bike, that climbs well, has racy feel, stiff, and priced below those mentioned above....take a look at the Scott CR1. Got a killer deal on one and bought it as a backup and very impressed with it....bike inspires you to go fast. If you can up your budget I would shop around for a good deal on a 2011 SL3 Roubaix as the bike is stiff, climbs great and is a Roubaix so you know it is a smooth comfortable ride...great bike. If you are at your ceiling with your budget I would go with a Scott CR1 and with money I saved I would put away towards a new set of wheels as all stock wheels are mediocre at best...can get Soul or Boyd wheels for $500. If you are locked in on three in your header...I liked the fit and feel of Roubaix the best...but that is personal preference...you would have to take your time on them and determine which is for you ... All three great performers with each having slight advantage in different areas...you just have to see which suits you and how you ride better. You cat lose with any of your selections ... Just ride it and enjoy...good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I test rode a bunch and to me the Cervelo RS was the best smooth/sporty combo by a mile! And I hate white bikes (or I used to)! I thought oh well its Italian and thats pretty cool and they said it was Canadian. I really wanted a black Cannondale synapse 4 or matte Roubaix comp but I knew as soon as I rode this one it was my favorite and it should be a great first road bike. I also went with specialized mountain bike shoes/ shimano clips that I can use with my MTB. First ride with clips and no problems. I will be putting the same pedals on my MTB soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails synapse carbon 4, cervello rs or specialized roubaix comp compactubiax-img_2199.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Nice ride! I'm about to start test rides this week to find my future bike.

Special guest
    I like that Cervelo a lot, and I like the color too!
    It is a great and comfy frame for long rides. Just look at those sexy pencil thin seatstays!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I just purchased a Synapse 3 and took it out on the first longer ride of 40 miles. The non-boat anchor wheels make a difference. I haven't ridden a lot of bikes (on the same ride, at least), but I definitely notice that lighter wheels make a difference. Compared to my 2003 Trek 2200 aluminum bike, I feel like the Synapse transfers power to the wheels better than the 2200. I really like the Synapse.

The Madone would have been my second choice. I couldn't get past the curved top tube, zertz inserts and the 10% premium on the Specialized and I didn't test ride the Roubaix.

The Felt Z series is also in this class. Test ride all the competition, pick the one that fits and calls out to you. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these bikes.

They are all very similar. Check out the gearing (probably all are compact double and 11-28 cassette). Check the tire pressure! It makes a big difference in ride quality and you should make sure you are comparing apples to apples. A 110lb tire is going to feel different than a 95. They are probably all 25mm tires.

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    Hey, this is an old thread but I figured it was the most appropriate for the question:

Im looking at a few bikes, with an eye on stack and reach. Bikes in this category all seem to have nearly exactly the same stack (about 563mm on a 54cm frame), but while most other bikes have a reach of 381mm or so, the Synape (and the Podium 3) have a stack of 375. It doesnt' sound like a lot, but it's different from every other Endurance bike. In fact it's nearly a 10mm stem different.

ETTs are all 545mm, and seat/head angles all very very close to 73 degrees, it seems. Isn't this going to drive Reach?

Sitting on a few of these in the LBS I wasnt sure I could tell, with the seat kind of low, and of course not out riding.

Does this bike have a reach that's so different than the Spec and Felt that you'd make a point to notice?