Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Taiwanese Titanium

Hi All,

I've found what seems to look like, a good source of titanium frames, made in taiwan.
    they're an actual bike company that used to be part of a larger group but split up.
    They also seem to make carbon fibre bikes, and recumbents under other subsidiary brands.

anyway a titanium frame and fork will cost around $1300, but the quality from the looks of things looks very good. The fork is also easton ec90, so a pretty good.
    They do sell cheaper titanium frames, but the one I want to get is their 'top of the range' titanium frame. It's got a tear drop shaped top tube with a diamond shaped down tube for extra stiffness (compared to the other frames they sell, which is just oval tubes and round tubes).

I'm going to be getting a custom logo for my bike, so its going to be polished with a beadblasted logo. (or i can go the other way, with beadblasted frame and polished logo).

They also do custom geometry, but I am not that confident at the moment with that sort of aspect, and the standard geometry measurements were close to what my ideal ones from the fit calculator at competitive cyclist were anyway.

They also sell 'complete' bikes (70% assembled).
    I assume this means that they do the complicated things like bb facing, install, and headset installation, and i just need to put the components together out of the box...

At the moment i'm thinking of sram rival groupset, prologo, easton ec90 stem/handlebar/seatpost, and mavic kysrium equipe wheels. I am going to be getting these cheaper than the best prices from wiggle,chain reaction, evans etc. from the company that makes the frame, as they're an actual bike company, and have contracts with sram/mavic. They however will only sell the components with the complete bike.

My contact there speaks very good English (well.. compared to Porter), and he said it will take 2 weeks to make the frame, 1 day assembly and about 5 days shipping.. so 3 weeks.

I'm in the process of moving, so It will be about a month or two before I order the bike, and another 3 weeks until it arrives.

I realise that a few people here will argue that for an extra few hundred I could get a lynskey or other american brand ones. That would be the case If I Lived in the United States, but I live in Australia, and those frames are very expensive. Here, even the 'cooper' (a lower end lynskey) will cost $3000 just for the frame!. I blame the local distributors for this high-way robbery.

let me know what you guys think,
    i'll also reply to this thread as I order the bike, and so forth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for posting the link to the manufacturer!

Formosan Cyclocross
    If you give me the name I can check it out in person. I have a couple candidates in mind.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    I am guessing this is the guy who has been talking about this same build from a quality Taiwanese manufacturer on the boards over her for several weeks now.
    Seriously, take the heartache out of this equation and just contact some of the local suppliers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you trying to start a distributorship with this supplier? Can you supply a link to this supplier? Without a name, the information does not mean a whole lot.

Sleep Expert
    So why not just buy the same or similar from Bikes Direct for $999??? Same country, prolly same company too.
    Oh, I can provide a link too! Road Titanium framesets - 2011 Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti
    And if you want to call me a shill, go right ahead.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    BIkes Direct would probably handle warranty claims more readily than an overseas company that you bought from direct (or out the back door of the factory). The Motobecane frame actually looks pretty nice, although that's not an Easton fork. Speaking of which, the fork and components may not be warrantable if they are gray market. That could be important with Rival shifters as some of them break.

I've had a Chinese Ti frame crack. Fortunately I'd bought it from an American company who backed their warranty, although it took a couple months for the replacement to arrive.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I know a guy who sourced his titanium frames from the most likely candidate for his brand. The model lasted only two years in his line-up. I don't know why. My friend just bought one of the leftover frames for cheap.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    You guys have not read the part about how this guy is in AUSTRALIA.
    Not sure buying from BD is possible and if it is I can assure you that the hassle of dealing with warranty from a US company when you are in Australia can be just as great.
    Shipping costs alone could kill the benefit of the warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    What size are you looking for, just buy my Merlin magia with d/a 10 and kysriums sl's that will be on eBay next week cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Guys, I am in Australia.

Is that merlin for sale in Australia?

Also thinking about a business contact with them so the brand name will be kept hush hush, until after I get it.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I think I know the maker. I just got done riding a bunch of OEM/ODM titanium frames. Some are ok and some are really not stiff enough for me. Good luck!

Again, I'm in Taiwan, so if you need someone to check it out for you I could put out feelers.

Will your frame be shot peened?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Actually DJS, I could use your help. I'm living in Kaohsiung and am shopping for a titanium frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    DJS: pm received, but I can't send a reply. It seems I don't have the requisite number of posts to have pm priveliges. Let me give you the short answer here:
    I currently ride a 55 with a 55 top tube, which suits my build perfectly. My budget is around 30,000 NTD.

WTF = Wide Tire Fits
    Jan 2012
    BD does not ship to Australia. bikesdirect.com Shipping Information

BD Ti made by Ora Engineering - Taiwan I think......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Here's one that CLAIMS to be from a Taiwan company. The fact they have not returned my email makes me dubious. Still, it looks nice on the page.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=160717132903

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFcyclist View Post
    BD does not ship to Australia. bikesdirect.com Shipping Information

BD Ti made by Ora Engineering - Taiwan I think......
    Has many of ORA's parts bin cues, especially the tubes. But I have my doubts as else BD's markup is remarkably low. Or that they are selling/ordering those frames in really big numbers to get significant discounts from the factory.

Patrick Sullivan
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the link!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yan Kelly finally returned my e-mail: the listing is not correct, as it's actually a Chinese bike of unknown provenance. Par for the course, I'd say. Caveat emptor and all that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did David Atkins move Pride cycles to Taiwan?
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the link!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    So why not just buy the same or similar from Bikes Direct for $999??? Same country, prolly same company too.
    Oh, I can provide a link too! Road Titanium framesets - 2011 Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti
    And if you want to call me a shill, go right ahead.
    Plus 1 or however many pluses there are about this. Exactly right. The Motobecane line of TI bikes are all made in Taiwan and represent the absolute best value in TI bikes bar none on the market today. The next closest price competitor is Habanaro, and theirs are made in China, and will easily cost another $800 to $1000 more for a equivalant equipped Hab which at that point you could buy a Lysnkey and have it built in America.

BD won't ship to Australia and other areas but if you know someone in the America you could have it shipped to them and have them forward it to you! Of course you will have to pay your friend the postage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    onlineflyer, I read recently that Pride went out of business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quite right. The more I ask around about Taiwanese Ti, the more I realize how inter-connected it is. I got a reply from ORA today, the OEM for Motobecane's titanium offerings, and the director of marketing let slip that Rikulau's custom bikes also come from ORA's factory floor.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I am pretty sure you can opt for custom paint. A friend of mine bought a 953 frame from them and had it done up with a custom Grateful Dead paint job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast