your god hates me

Is there a more appropriate bike for my needs than the CAADX?

Well, it's official: If I ever want to ride with my wife again I need to get a real gravel bike.

Equally official: My Sachs with 27c tires doesn't qualify as a "real gravel bike" for the kind of off-road riding she's gotten into. (And even 28c won't fit under the Campy brake calipers.)

Fortunately, I'm in the position where a new gravel bike can easily be justified...just so long as it can also replace my commuter bike. Currently using a 1986 Bridgestone 600 with full-coverage SKS fenders for commuting.

So I'm looking for a bike with disc brakes & 11-speed (so I can swap wheels w/ the missus) that has mounts for full-coverage fenders front & back, can take at least a 32c tire with those fenders and 38 or 40 without, and sells for less than $2000.

The Cannondale CAADX 105 SE hits all those bullet points.

(Although admittedly the tire/fender clearance is suspect w/ larger than 28c tires, so I might want to get one 650b wheelset so I don't have to remove the fenders when doing the gnarliest off-road routes.)

Is there anything else in this price range that I should be seriously investigating, or should I save myself a lot of angst/research and just get a CAADX?

Thanks.

Neophyte
    Check out offerings from Salsa perhaps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well the CAADX is a CX bike, not a true gravel bike. Their gravel bike is the Slate model. If you prefer a CX (I know I would) you have tons of options. Every manufacturer makes one. I'd also recommend Kona, Surly and Felt as well. If you want a gravel bike, practically every manufacturer makes on e of those too.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Well the CAADX is a CX bike, not a true gravel bike. Their gravel bike is the Slate model.
    In addition to it being at least >$800 over my budget, the Slate strikes me as being too much of an outlier in terms of the all-road bike trend: That Lefty shock absorbing fork seems a genuine aberration compared to every other manufacturer's idea of a gravel bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    In addition to it being at least >$800 over my budget, the Slate strikes me as being too much of an outlier in terms of the all-road bike trend: That Lefty shock absorbing fork seems a genuine aberration compared to every other manufacturer's idea of a gravel bike!
    I agree and from the reviews I've read (and people I know with the Slate) it's a good bike on road and on the trails. They are expensive for what you get though. That Lefty fork is a big contributing factor to the premium you'll pay for admission. Cannondale has been using the Lefty fork on their MTB for years. Personally, I'd go with a CX bike, because my riding is more road oriented. Sounds like you're leaning that way too. Practically every company makes them, so you have lots of options. CAADX is an awesome bike, but I recommend trying others too. You might like another bike better than the CAAD.
    Last edited by terbennett; 6 Days Ago at 07:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out the Jamis Renegade series:

JamisĀ® RenegadeĀ® Adventure Bikes

I have the Reynolds 631 CroMo steel Renegade Exploit and absolutely love mine! Surprising fast! They state it has room for 40mm tires, but having put 40mm tires on mine, I can plainly see it could take even wider tires - probably up to 42mm. Right now, I am running 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires and at 50F/60R PSI, it it comfort heaven!

The Renegade also comes in carbon and aluminum models. They have fender mounts as well as 5 water bottle mounts!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    If money is no object get a Seven Evergreen. If you want to be cheap get a Specialized Diverge. Personally I'd go Seven or if you want to spend more Firefly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    If money is no object get a Seven Evergreen. If you want to be cheap get a Specialized Diverge. Personally I'd go Seven or if you want to spend more Firefly
    The OP stated a budget of $2,000 or less. That kind of rules out Seven.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    There are Diamondback bikes that wouldn't be bad...I think there's a Canyon as well. The Salsa reccy above is good to.

Depends on what kind of geometry you're wanting. CX geo is generally racy and nimble....where as many gravel bikes are either road-geo or endurance-geo to be more comfortable on longer events and also more stable on pea-gravel descents.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Russian Troll Farmer
    I was looking at gravel bikes, but wasn't interested in CF or Aluminum (or mixtures thereof), so I ended up buying a Specialized AWOL, which is actually an "adventure touring" bike. Nice steel frame, takes up to 47mm tires, triple, dual discs, all for about $1200.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    You might save some money Bob in not doing disc and choosing cantilevers. I know they aren't considered cool or state of the art but they do work quite well and are suited for the application. Plus you don't have to worry about bleeding the brakes or changing rotors. The upkeep should be less too. Easier to swap wheels as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Check out the Jamis Renegade series:

JamisĀ® RenegadeĀ® Adventure Bikes

I have the Reynolds 631 CroMo steel Renegade Exploit and absolutely love mine! Surprising fast! They state it has room for 40mm tires, but having put 40mm tires on mine, I can plainly see it could take even wider tires - probably up to 42mm. Right now, I am running 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires and at 50F/60R PSI, it it comfort heaven!

The Renegade also comes in carbon and aluminum models. They have fender mounts as well as 5 water bottle mounts!
    I wasn't looking for a new bike but that steel Jamis Renegade makes me want one now.