RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Thoughts on 2004 Trek 5000?

Found this bike in the same city that i'm going to tomorrow to check out a Spec bike. Figure I might give it a look. What are your guys' thoughts on this bike? Especially considering its age...
    It looks nice to me and if it fit me really and feels great to ride and the price could come down a bit i'd be pretty tempted to consider it. Any thoughts on where the price should be on a bike like this? how much do you think I should offer? other thoughts?

Here's the link:
    Trek 5000 56cm full carbon road bike, Ultegra.

TIA

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Some thoughts.

This goofy Trek 5000 sold for $500 on eBay a few days ago. Those were good bikes, no doubt. The 9-speed crank-bottom bracket interface is a splined system called Shimano Octalink, for which bottom brackets are getting expensive ($50+) and might even be hard to find in a few years. Because carbon frames can have hidden damage, there are people who would never buy a used carbon bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Sound advice. Thank you. Glad this forum has been so helpful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Even if the condition is good, that's an 8 year old bike. I'd probably pay $600-$650 tops, but then again I don't know if 6500 somehow appreciated by any chance (as noted the BB is $50).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Ya, definitely a well-aged bike. That's why I was asking since i'm not too knowledgeable on the rate of wear and wear properties of carbon. Definitely doesn't look like a good bike for me to trust on a day to day.

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielMM View Post
    Ya, definitely a well-aged bike. That's why I was asking since i'm not too knowledgeable on the rate of wear and wear properties of carbon. Definitely doesn't look like a good bike for me to trust on a day to day.
    I'd disagree. If it's in the shape the owner says it is, it would be a great every-day type of ride. Based on the images, it looks to have been ridden very little. The tires appear to be original, and the brake levers and crank set are as-new. The 2004-5 5000 was one of the best non-Madone frames Trek has ever built.
    While frames can have hidden damage, i see no indication of any sort of damage on this one. You can do a fairly good examination yourself. The technique has been discussed at great length on this site. The price may be somewhat high, but IMO it's a good sign that the owner thinks enough of it to ask that much.