Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Thoughts on 2008 Fuji Roubaix RC

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  birdman-x 
#1 ·
I didn't post this in Fuji as there isn't much traffic there.

I'm 6'5" and 230#'s. I'm looking to move into road from mountain and do some sprint triathathalons this summer.

Given the state of everything I wanted to keep my budget below $1500 for bike, peddles, computer, shoes. I have pretty much everything else.

I've looked at all the normal items Trek, Specialized, Cannndale, Felt etc., and they are a tad out of range once you hit 105 level components.

I've flip flopped on bike direct. I don't really care about the name. I'm more interested in a good value solid bike that can handle my weight without being to harsh.

I ran into a 2008 Fuji Roubaix RC at an lbs the other day in 64cm. It looked like a pretty decent bike. Without saying a word he said he would sell it for $1300. It was already marked down to $1500.

Ultegra rear, shifters, brake levers, cane creek brakes, 105 front, shimano hoops, fsa bb and cranks.

Any thoughts opinions, suggestions, warnings? Seems good but I'll defer to those in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
Fuji makes some very decent bikes - further they offer very good value - at $1,300 that is a great new bike deal.

The one factor you really have to consider is wheels due to your weight - you are probably going to need a 32 spoke wheel.

If your LBS was willing to negotiate on the bike he may be willing to work with you on proper wheels for your weight - that being said I am not sure what wheels come with that bike standard.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I asked about the rims...

Thanks for the reply....I need the repreive from the holiday fun.

The owner of the lbs was confident that they could withstand my weight. He went on say he wouldn't sell a bike he didn't feel was appropriate. That being said he also cautioned it depends on the roads, how hard I mash on the pedals etc., I'm guessing any bike under $2000 will be an issue. They all have 20 blade spokes....truth be told if I buy it I'll ask him to tension them and just watch them....if the rim goes I'll just have once laced up that is more appropriate....it's a catch 22...as the bikes go up in price weight becomes a premium....rims get lighter..more chance of failing for me

I've gone through enough on my mountain bike.

The rims are Shimano RS-10 which sounds like they are a even trade with Mavic Kryserium (spelling?) that I see on other bikes. Nothing great but not bad. Decent entry level. I've seen them on $2k+ cannondales in town.

I'm guessing the frame is fine. Carbon fork and stays. Not a big fan of the color but I'm a bigger fan of saving $700.

#4 ·
You want a wheel that can take almost all of what you or the environment can dish out.
A good wheel for your weight is one that can handle you mashing - pretty much no questions asked. Not many wheelsets period can handle a crater sized pot hole well with your weight - certainly not a 20 spoke wheel.

A set of Ultegra hub / Mavic Open Pro rims with 32 spoke count is probably much more qualified for the job than most, if not all 20 spoke wheelsets. You can get them from Performance or Nashbar for $300 or less for the set - other websites as well.

Trty talking to your LBS about the guarantee he is willing to place on the wheels he provides - Or see if he will supply you with a heavier duty set of wheels as mentioned above, since his cost per wheelset is probably similar and these would be more applicable for your size.

#5 ·
You should take a look at Shimano RS10 Durability: Non-existent over in the wheels forum. I agree with the recommendation for the Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro combination. I've been using these for training miles, also from Performance, but with DA hubs and they have been very reliable.

I'd also consider carefully whether the 64cm is the right size frame for you. I'm the same height as you and was initially riding a 62cm but have sized down to a 58cm for my new bike (though some would consider that extreme). The critical dimension is the top tube length and whether the reach is reasonable for you. For me, the larger bikes were always too long and compensating with a shorter stem was a compromise. On the other hand, it may be that you need the larger frame size to get the right amount of saddle to bar drop.

#6 ·
I got tired of looking and bought...

I seen a six13-3 a few months ago for $1900 I liked. It was more than I wanted to spend. They had sold it when I went back.

I went in yesterday....and they transferred one in from a sister store...$1600.

I've seen them cheaper online elsewhere...but local (New England is expensive for everthing)..they had it my size....ended up with the 63cm. Fitted up nice. Now it is snowing.

I did like the fuji but this is DA rear and pretty much everthing else Ultegra. The Mavic Askium rims. He said if I stayed out of holes and stayed on the tension I should be good for a while. He offered an upgrade to ksyrium but I was already over budget....

i hate buyers remorese but it'll be gone when i ride...

it was painful...went to 4/5 shops in area.....most were midly interested in talking.....and I was told I had to have anything from a 60cm to 66cm frame. One guy wanted me to custom order a Caad9 and then build it up. I started by saying I had a $1500 budget.

Communication 101.

o well....i'll be reader for the spring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.