Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Thoughts on Skylon Aktiv?

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  milkbaby 
#1 ·
Lusting after my next bike and ruminating on the Skylon Aktiv, Dogma F8, and whatever bike catches my fancy on a given day.

The problem is that I can't find any in-depth thoughts / reviews / ride profiles / builds of the Skylon. I've read all of the google results (mostly previews and repeats of the press release) and have watched some videos, but none are very helpful. I know they're around because I've spoken to stores who have sold them but nothing in the forums / sites I've looked at.

Anyone have any information? Especially how it compares against other "super" bikes? Does Aktiv work, or just a gimmick?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Have the Aktiv forks been out that long? It may be a while before any good reviews. I don't think I've even seen a Skylon over at weight weenies.

There's a ride review from Bicycling magazine but not of the Aktiv version. Here's another review (in French): http://www.nutri-cycles.com/test-ma...et-sportif-sans-oublier-le-confort-3-203.html

A good friend of mine has a VXRS Worldstar and I have an RXRS Ulteam, and we both love the ride quality of these Time bikes. If I were in the market for a new bike, I'd definitely consider the Skylon based on past success and reputation of Time. However, for a factory frame (non-custom), I would also seriously consider a Colnago C60 in addition to the Skylon.

#3 ·
I've had a couple of Time frames as well as Colnagos (C50 and C59),Wiliers and currently just bought a Time NXS (which is now badged as the Izon). They are brilliant frame-sets, with some intangible quality in the way they ride. U can not go wrong with a Time frame. It's also really cool how they weave their own carbon and tune the frames by size. They are reasonable too considering they are hand made in France. A Pinarello is IMO a total rip off. They are stamped out in the far east and no cost savings is passed on to the dumb suckers who buy them (at exorbitant prices) thinking they are Italian made. LOL. If you want a great Asian frame for a fair price by all means get a Giant.

#5 ·
Agreed that Time's creation process sets them apart - and that their price points are very reasonable given the nature of their process. I did ride an NXS back in the day when I was last shopping for a frame but it felt a little soft too me (in hind sight, that softness could be an advantage given my Addict is a little harsh). I like that they went with the new BB on the Skylon and appeared to chase more stiffness - mitigated by the Aktiv fork. Pretty nifty.

This is a dumb question, but any major teams ride Time bikes? I was doing some quick searches on TDF bikes and haven't seen Time come up yet. Is this a marketing decision? Or did I just not search hard enough? Anyone think there are implications on "raceability" of Time frames at the highest levels of the sport based on this? I don't think it matters for me per se (since I'm WWAAYYY below the 'highest levels'), but curious how folks interpret this.

#6 ·
"A Pinarello is IMO a total rip off. They are stamped out in the far east and no cost savings is passed on to the dumb suckers who buy them (at exorbitant prices) thinking they are Italian made. LOL. If you want a great Asian frame for a fair price by all means get a Giant."

Not to hijack the thread, but this is one person's opinion. Yes, Giant's are a better value, but when you're considering upper echelon frames, value tends to take a back seat. Not trying to defend Pinarellos, but I think the above statements are a bit harsh.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, Giant's are a better value, but when you're considering upper echelon frames, value tends to take a back seat. Not trying to defend Pinarellos, but I think the above statements are a bit harsh.
LOL, sorry u didn't do your homework and got screwed. "Upper echelon" of frames? Pinarello is only "upper echelon" of advertising; not R&D or quality control. If you are dazzled by fancy websites and fake heritage; buy Pinarello.lol. If u want brilliant Italian frameset (i.e not fake like Pinarello) get a Sarto. Please forgive me if I was presumptuous of you buying a Pinarello.

#7 ·
i used to own a RXRS and find it to be an excellent bike Build quality is at par with the very best. very compliant and steers beautifully. I still regret selling that bike. I think Time and Giant are the only two bike manufacturers who weave thier own carbon, ensuring that they have total control on the building process from start to finish. Like you Im also contemplating on the Skylon for my next "winter project". Although Im not sure I will get the Aktiv fork. Im sure the frame coupled with a nice wheelset and 25 c tires will make the bike compliant enough for me.

#9 ·
Although Im not sure I will get the Aktiv fork.
I see Time pairs the Aktiv fork with a matching frame that has an integrated seat post. I assume (hope) it can be broken up. I despise ISPs almost as much as internal cable routing. I'm not a Luddite, and I do ALL my own builds and wrenching. Internal routing is great if you're running electronic shifting, but for mechanical? Give me external routing!

#8 ·
As a Time afficionado, I will say this. I own both the Dogma 65.1 as well as various Time bikes. I think the Dogmas are absolutely incredible descending bikes and exceptional crit racing machines. However, the Pinas I have owned (with the exception of the Dogma Magnesium), have been stiff and relatively harsh. Time frames are much more comfortable to ride, though, from everything I have heard, the Skylon and Dogma F8 ride very very similarly.

So, between the two:
1. Time are handmade in France, using exceptional workmanship.
2. Time doesn't have the exposure of Pinarello. Few people remember that Boonen and Bettini won Worlds on the Time Worldstar or the Cofidis used to ride Time, as well Boygues Telecom, etc.
3. Because of #2, Time has lower resale value.
4. Pinarellos are well-known, high exposure, good bikes, VERY OVERPRICED. And I mean, ridiculously overpriced.
5. Pinarello has better resale value, but counterfeits abound.

For the amount of money you want to spend, you have many, many choices. You can get a Colnago C60 from Europe with DA10, bars/stem, saddle, and some decent wheels for the price of an F8 frame.

#12 ·
Appreciate all of the thoughts here, very helpful. It's interesting to see the interplay between value of craftsmanship vs marketing too. Pinarello obviously has very effective marketing, but their presence in major professional events clearly indicates their product is top-notch as well.

On Colnago, just don't love the idea of a lugged frame. Probably my misconception / lack of understanding, but lugged just doesn't feel as 'advanced'. Still want some real-world feedback though - or I gotta go out and do some test riding.

#13 ·
I wouldn't rule out a carbon lugged frame. Even so called monocoque frames are multiple pieces bonded together. The whole frame doesn't come straight out of the mold. It may be the front triangle is one piece and then the seat stays and chain stays are bonded to it. Or some other method of construction.

Colnago, Calfee, and BMC all make top level carbon frames with lugs. Also, many people would disagree that Colnago doesn't have the most advanced ride quality. That is obviously a matter of opinion of course. Hope you get to test ride some bikes and choose what suits you best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.