Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13

    Threaded bottom brackets in 2018

    Hello,

    has someone made observations of 2018 model bikes, that have previously had press-fit bottom brackets, to be now available with a BSA shell instead?

    As I was happy to discover on the MTB front, Specialized had made alloy/carbon Epic's with a threaded bb for 2018 (maybe except the S-Works model).

    Also please note, that I'm not asking for discussion of threaded vs press-fit. Just wish to know if someone has spotted a change from the previous models.

  2. #2
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,541
    Quote Originally Posted by ssio View Post
    .....
    Also please note, that I'm not asking for discussion of threaded vs press-fit. ......
    You're new here, so you probably didn't realize that by post #3 on this thread that's exactly what it will become.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ssio View Post
    Hello,

    has someone made observations of 2018 model bikes, that have previously had press-fit bottom brackets, to be now available with a BSA shell instead?

    As I was happy to discover on the MTB front, Specialized had made alloy/carbon Epic's with a threaded bb for 2018 (maybe except the S-Works model).

    Also please note, that I'm not asking for discussion of threaded vs press-fit. Just let wish to know if someone has spotted a change from the previous models.
    Specialized Roubaix from Expert model to below is now threaded bottom bracket per below article:
    Is pressfit dead? road.cc investigates and speaks to Specialized and Bowman Cycles | road.cc

    Pinerellos and Bianchi Intenso are other carbon frames that have threaded bottom brackets in 2018.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,873
    Quote Originally Posted by ra21benj View Post
    Specialized Roubaix from Expert model to below is now threaded bottom bracket per below article:
    Is pressfit dead? road.cc investigates and speaks to Specialized and Bowman Cycles | road.cc

    Pinerellos and Bianchi Intenso are other carbon frames that have threaded bottom brackets in 2018.
    Pressfit R.I.P.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ra21benj View Post
    Specialized Roubaix from Expert model to below is now threaded bottom bracket per below article:
    Is pressfit dead? road.cc investigates and speaks to Specialized and Bowman Cycles | road.cc

    Pinerellos and Bianchi Intenso are other carbon frames that have threaded bottom brackets in 2018.
    Oh yes, the Roubaix. I'm actually currently riding the SL4 model, but I've had 2 of the earlier models prior to that, so I could try some other bikes too.

    Intenso is something I shall investigate, thanks for the tip!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ssio View Post
    Oh yes, the Roubaix. I'm actually currently riding the SL4 model, but I've had 2 of the earlier models prior to that, so I could try some other bikes too.

    Intenso is something I shall investigate, thanks for the tip!
    Iím 5í9Ē and ride size 53 Bianchi Intenso. Intenso rides smooth because of Kevlar in the fork and seat stays. Head tube isnít too long for an endurance frame, so you can get your stem low if you want to be more aero. Great looking bike with a BSA threaded bottom bracket.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: RB Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    28
    My 2017 Specialized Sequoia has a threaded bottom bracket. I wouldnít have bought it otherwise!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by ra21benj View Post
    Iím 5í9Ē and ride size 53 Bianchi Intenso. Intenso rides smooth because of Kevlar in the fork and seat stays. Head tube isnít too long for an endurance frame, so you can get your stem low if you want to be more aero. Great looking bike with a BSA threaded bottom bracket.
    Fwiw, the Intenso's head tube is very long, and now that Bianchi is requiring 5mm of spacers above and below the stem, it is very difficult to get your position low on your right-size frame.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Bring back external gear cable routing as well. Specially for mechanical bikes.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Bring back external gear cable routing as well. Specially for mechanical bikes.
    +1... we sound like Luddites but this should make sense to anyone who services their own bike(s) as well as bike mechanics.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Fwiw, the Intenso's head tube is very long, and now that Bianchi is requiring 5mm of spacers above and below the stem, it is very difficult to get your position low on your right-size frame.
    From the below review, the Bianchi Intenso has semi-endurance geometry with a slightly taller headtube:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-bianchi-intenso-14-48144/

    I also have a Gt Corsa Two (medium) endurance bike with no spacers below stem, 9mm Cane Creek top cover, and -17 degree 100 mm stem.
    To get the same handlebar height on the Bianchi Intenso , I would still have three to four 5mm spacers below the stem, a tall 15mm upper bearing top cover, and -10 degree 100 mm stem.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    762
    I can tell you that my 59 has a 200mm head tube. That's awful upright. The rest of the dimensions matched the three 59s that it replaced.

    It was o.k. when I could slam the stem to the FSA headset top cap, but with Bianchi's warning, I am higher up then ever before.

Similar Threads

  1. RBR TdF 2018 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2018
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 04:36 AM
  2. Italian threaded bottom brackets
    By Fixed in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM
  3. Threaded seat tube in a 2018 Lynskey 470
    By astrodog in forum Lynskey
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 03:03 AM
  4. Sub-$1000 framesets with threaded bottom brackets?
    By filly in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 07:16 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.