Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386

    Three Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames

    When considering the purchase of a road bike, there are indeed many factors to evaluate. One of which is service life. The long accessibility of a comfortable road bike, that is not only beautiful, but fast and efficient, as well, should be considered as a rare commodity. This is especially so, when the bicycle frames are from stock and sold by local dealers here in America. Here are three of the very best everlasting bicycle frames sold in America:Three Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames-g13_edge_raw_48.jpgThree Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames-soma_smoothie_ss_1_700.jpgThree Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames-lynskey-cooperdi2-01.jpg
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  2. #2
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,898
    Motobecane?

    ROFLMFAO!!!!
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Motobecane?

    ROFLMFAO!!!!
    I have removed the Motobecane Le Champion from the original post, due to the fact that I personally feel that the Lynskey family deserves greater recognition. However, the Motobecane Le Champion Ti has no history or track record of being an unworthy Ti road bicycle, and should be listed near the top in terms of actual value. In fact, most reviews have been quite favorable: Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium Road Bike ReviewsThree Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames-bikesdirect-lec_tm_ti_frameset_600.jpg
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    When considering the purchase of a road bike, there are indeed many factors to evaluate. One of which is service life. The long accessibility of a comfortable road bike, that is not only beautiful, but fast and efficient, as well, should be considered as a rare commodity. This is especially so, when the bicycle frames are from stock and sold by local dealers here in America. Here are three of the very best everlasting bicycle frames sold in America:
    The GT Ti Edge (top). The SOMA Stainless Steel Smoothie (middle). The Lynskey Cooper (bottom). As featured above...
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  5. #5
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,849

    Three Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames

    Lol

    Len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    218
    Someone's trolling again.

    Nonetheless, frame longevity is something that interests me, and in my research I have come across some surprising examples of frames that last much longer or shorter than you would expect, such as a 19th century aluminium bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Everlasting Stock Road Bike Frames-mattmcneece-1.jpg  

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Lol

    Len
    Laugh if you must. However, I'd be willing to bet that if we removed all head badges and logos. You'd be hard pressed in determining which bike performs the best on test rides. I'd put good money on a well dressed Motobecane Le Champion Ti, any day of the week!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    Someone's trolling again and it's me!

    Nonetheless, frame longevity is something that interests me, and in my research I have come across some surprising examples of frames that last much longer or shorter than you would expect, such as a 19th century aluminium bike.
    fify ....I'll guarantee you that aluminum framed bicycle is used more as a novelty item and discussion piece, more so than an actual bicycle that someone has ever ridden for any extended period of time. "How do I know that for certain?", you say...Because it's still here! OTOH, we don't really know about its degree of functionality...
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  9. #9
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Here are three of the very best everlasting bicycle frames sold in America
    Please define "best".

    This should be good.

  10. #10
    Decrepit Member
    Reputation: Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,686
    Sorry, but I don't believe it's trolling to hold out examples of well built stock production titanium and stainless steel frames as being pretty durable.

    While "everlasting" may be hyperbole, the reality is that these examples are likely to provide buyers with reliable and lengthy service.
    -Stan
    my bikes

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    I have removed the Motobecane Le Champion from the original post, due to the fact that I personally feel that the Lynskey family deserves greater recognition. However, the Motobecane Le Champion Ti has no history or track record of being an unworthy Ti road bicycle, and should be listed near the top in terms of actual value. In fact, most reviews have been quite favorable: Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium Road Bike ReviewsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bikesdirect-lec_tm_ti_frameset_600.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	282641
    yeah, except you'd have to replace the fork every season because it's carbon. Right, Zeet?

    From your previous evangelism on the topic I was led to believe you knew better. Guess not. Kind of suprised you'd promote something as inferior as carbon.

  12. #12
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

    From your previous evangelism on the topic I was led to believe you knew better. Guess not. Kind of suprised you'd promote something as inferior as carbon.
    Dosent steel have alot of carbon in it?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Dosent steel have alot of carbon in it?
    Is that true Zeet? What now.....cast iron? Wood?

  14. #14
    Decrepit Member
    Reputation: Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Dosent steel have alot of carbon in it?
    Alot? Is less than .5% by weight alot?



    Tough crowd.
    -Stan
    my bikes

  15. #15
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Alot? Is less than .5% by weight alot?

    [/IMG]

    Tough crowd.
    Ok, not alot.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    234
    I've been riding a Le Champ Ti for five years(been riding road bikes for around 25 years.) If something happened to mine, I'd buy another one. I could probably drop 25k on a bike without catching much grief from my wife, but the Le Champ Ti suits me so well that I doubt I'll ever buy another road bike.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    The word "best" is a very relative term...
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Sure! Anything not resembling Thisepa, in the least!
    "tihsepa"

    Close call. Not sure if that resembles what you typed or not.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yeah, except you'd have to replace the fork every season because it's carbon. Right, Zeet?

    From your previous evangelism on the topic I was led to believe you knew better. Guess not. Kind of suprised you'd promote something as inferior as carbon.
    Nope! Built correctly, CF should outlast both steel and Al, in theory...*Stated, as mad scientists quickly return to their calculations for CF service life confirmation*
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Sorry, but I don't believe it's trolling to hold out examples of well built stock production titanium and stainless steel frames as being pretty durable.

    While "everlasting" may be hyperbole, the reality is that these examples are likely to provide buyers with reliable and lengthy service.
    It's innocuous if taken by itself, but you need to look at it in the context of his typical baseless posts stating that carbon frames will asplode if you so much as look at them, and aluminium frames will all quickly fail from fatigue.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    "tihsepa"

    Close call. Not sure if that resembles what you typed or not.
    Darn it! Spelling has always been my nemesis!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    It's innocuous if taken by itself, but you need to look at it in the context of his typical baseless posts stating that carbon frames will asplode if you so much as look at them, and aluminium frames will all quickly fail from fatigue.
    Au contraire, sir! First of all, if you're at all knowledgeable about the features of aluminum as a bicycle frame material, you would know that one of its primary features is that, as a metal, it in fact does have fatigue issues. However, those fatigue issues should not, and usually do not, prevent the average aluminum bicycle owner from enjoying an extended bicycle service life of at least ten years. I would not call that a "quickly fail from fatigue" issue. However, that said! It does not preclude aluminum from ultimately having issues with fatigue. That's just an intrinsic property of aluminum. Frame Materials
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    It's innocuous if taken by itself, but you need to look at it in the context of his typical baseless posts stating that carbon frames will asplode if you so much as look at them, and aluminium frames will all quickly fail from fatigue.
    I sold my Moots Vamoots cr and bought a Giant Defy Advanced SL and I absolutely love it. The carbon accelerates much faster, corners and handles just as well as Ti and is more comfortable to ride, however I will confess the Moots didn't quite fit correctly and the defy does. I also believe those "pretty little welds" get boring to look at after a while. I also know a few people that own Ti bikes and say they love them yet they seem to always ride the carbon bike.

  24. #24
    Cranky Old Bastard
    Reputation: Randy99CL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    It's innocuous if taken by itself, but you need to look at it in the context of his typical baseless posts stating that carbon frames will asplode if you so much as look at them, and aluminium frames will all quickly fail from fatigue.
    My attitude is simple: Don't feed the Zeet!

    Life is too short for endless arguments and shifting "truths".
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Au contraire, sir! First of all, if you're at all knowledgeable about the features of aluminum as a bicycle frame material, you would know that one of its primary features is that, as a metal, it in fact does have fatigue issues. However, those fatigue issues should not, and usually do not, prevent the average aluminum bicycle owner from enjoying an extended bicycle service life of at least ten years. I would not call that a "quickly fail from fatigue" issue. However, that said! It does not preclude aluminum from ultimately having issues with fatigue. That's just an intrinsic property of aluminum. Frame Materials
    Insofar as carbon is concerned, I happen to own a brand new CF Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE. I'm finally getting the hang of cornering with her! I love carbon fiber! I just don't have much faith in its durability... Although, in due time, that position could very well change. I'm most certainly open to it!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. In Everlasting Memory of MARCO PANTANI
    By nicensleazy in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
  2. Any stock medium-ish frames with <73 STA?
    By satanas in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
  3. A few 08 Transition Pro frames in stock!!
    By Coolhand in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 07:43 PM
  4. What size frames do bike shops stock?
    By elviento in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 05:44 AM
  5. Pro Rider Imput on Stock Frames?
    By AlexCad5 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook